Quantcast
Lottery - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lottery

My Ride
    2008 SI

Default Lottery

hello,

i have searched this forum have not found anything on this topic thus creating a thread. does anyone here play the lotto?. i know it is a gamble and the chances of winning are not much at all. i just had a question what is the best way to play the lottery by combo? (lets you win multiple prizes) i see 9 number combo for max and 649 going for like 168$ giving you like 9 numbers 84 diff selections etc. is that really worth it or is it better to just buy like 75 2$ plays that gives you one six number selection witch is about 75 just looking for serious answers

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hadson; 04-13-2013 at 01:06 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

You get no discount for the combo plays, the chances are the same for the dollar amount, it just makes it easier to give more of your money away.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2008 SI

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    You get no discount for the combo plays, the chances are the same for the dollar amount, it just makes it easier to give more of your money away.
    i know but my question was witch one is better to play if you spend 168$ 9 number combo 84 selections or getting like 75 2$ plays the odds of winning something/

Edit sorry didn't read it properly so the chances are basically the same if you go with either?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It's easier to check your ticket with a single 9 number combo, instead of having 75 tix to check, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2008 SI

yea true it makes no difference then i assume whether you get 75 diff tix or one 9 number combo you're chances are equally the same was doing a little research if any others have a take on this let me know. and also it wouldn't matter if you pick you're own numbers or choose quick picks ?
    Last edited by hadson; 04-10-2013 at 10:16 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by hadson
    also it wouldn't matter if you pick you're own numbers or choose quick picks ?

Well that depends if you think you have the lucky numbers. At the end of the day lottery is just a tax on people who are bad at math, so whichever way you want to waste your money, go for it, be it quick pick or own numbers. I would say go with the quick pick...not like you going to win anyways

and also it wouldn't matter if you pick you're own numbers or choose quick picks ?
    Lets say your lucky 6/49 numbers are 2-9-19-27-41-44. You buy one of those as well as a quick pick in which the numbers are 1-2-3-4-5-6. Which has the better odds of winning? Neither, they have the exact same odds.

Yet, tell someone to buy a 6/49 ticket using the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6, and they'll say, Those numbers will never come up you idiot".

My wife used to buy the same set of numbers twice for one draw. She claimed when she wins, she gets a bigger piece of a shared pot. I was not certain if this was confidence or self-delusion as she is in general fairly lucky in games of chance.

The numbers have no idea as to their proper order, only humans place order on them. Certain numbers are picked more often as are certain numbers in numerical order.

I personally know of three major lotto winners, all did quick picks, so there is your "edge". I know of far more losers, we too practice the quick pick method.

My Ride
    R6///R50

Default Re: Lottery

does anyone here play the lotto?. .
    No, not at all.

There is no number or "combination" trick that will increase your odds. The only way to increase your odds is to spend more money.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Originally posted by Seth1968

Lets say your lucky 6/49 numbers are 2-9-19-27-41-44. You buy one of those as well as a quick pick in which the numbers are 1-2-3-4-5-6. Which has the better odds of winning? Neither, they have the exact same odds.

Yet, tell someone to buy a 6/49 ticket using the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6, and they'll say, Those numbers will never come up you idiot".
    While a ticket with the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6 has the same odds of winning as any other combination, the problem is that there are likely many people out there buying a ticket with 1-2-3-4-5-6. I bet if 1-2-3-4-5-6 ever was drawn it would end up being split among 50+ people. Therefore I think a set of completely random numbers is the best way to play.

My Ride
    2008 SI

thanks for the input everyone

I wish we could hold personal online lotteries where you get like 1000 ppl to put in 20 bux for a chance to win 15k or something

or 10,000 ppl at 5 bux and win 40k or something. 100k ppl 5bux for a chance to win 250k..etc..

You could skim the top pretty hard and its still a good amount to win at decent odds. Online its easy enough to round up a lot of people quickly and payal 5 bux.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

playing a block of numbers will increase your chances of winning, but only slightly. with each additional number you add to the block, you odds go up that you will win.

The idea behind the block relies on you being close to the winning numbers.

The idea is that if you buy a random QP, you might get 5/6 numbers. by buying a block, and every combination of that block, you increase your odds of winning versus buying an equal number of (random number) quick picks.

In the end, your odds are probably equal no matter which way you go.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by spikers
    The idea is that if you buy a random QP, you might get 5/6 numbers. by buying a block, and every combination of that block, you increase your odds of winning versus buying an equal number of (random number) quick picks.
    lol wut?

Your last statement is correct.

If you buy 20 QP numbers you have the same chance of winning as if you buy a 20 consecutive numbers or 20 variations of the same numbers.

My Ride
    oooo

Unless Baby Jesus himself came down to you and told you which numbers to use you might as just well go ahead and use a quick pick.

I do not play the lottery (okay I buy a ticket MAYBE once every year or two), but know someone that does religiously. She uses the same number every time because it is easy for her to check them.

The best is the OMG I won $1800.00!!!!! When I inform her she spends probably $50.00/week on tickets she would need to win that every 9 months and really she is losing she just doesn't get it.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

lol wut?

Your last statement is correct.

If you buy 20 QP numbers you have the same chance of winning as if you buy a 20 consecutive numbers or 20 variations of the same numbers.
    It is a slight, because if you are close, say 5/6 numbers, and the 6th number is in your block, then you have the winning ticket.

but your actual odds remain the same. I am horrible at explaining it. This whole method was explained to my by a mathematician in a conversation that I was able to follow for about 45 seconds.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by sillysod
    Unless Baby Jesus himself came down to you and told you which numbers to use you might as just well go ahead and use a quick pick.

I do not play the lottery (okay I buy a ticket MAYBE once every year or two), but know someone that does religiously. She uses the same number every time because it is easy for her to check them.

The best is the OMG I won $1800.00!!!!! When I inform her she spends probably $50.00/week on tickets she would need to win that every 9 months and really she is losing she just doesn't get it.
    the best lottery story I know is:

My grandparents (really just good family friends) played their family's birthdays religiously. One day, my grandfather was going out golfing with my step father and was told to buy the ticket. to which he forgot the numbers, and rather than calling home from the payphone, (pre cell phone days), he just got a quick pick.

When he gets home, my grandmother has like 8 people in their place, everyone bubbling over with excitement. My grandfather is like WTF? and My grandmother relates in hysterics that they won the 6/49.

My grandfather had to explain that he forgot the numbers and bought a quick pick.

Apparently he slept on the couch for a month and lost 15lbs because he had to do his own cooking.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by sillysod

LOL that's like a savings account for idiots!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I liek the stampede lottery. My odds are still terrible for any of the big prizes, but I get some free entries to the grounds, plus a discount on rodeo tickets, so I'm not actually "out" much money at all.

I actually once built an "expected value" calculation into a spreadsheet, and the stampede lotteries are pretty close to an even bet if you make use of the free grounds entries and discounted tickets. I used to have a lot of time on my hands at work . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast