Quantcast
Vivint vs. Counterforce Home Security Systems - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vivint vs. Counterforce Home Security Systems

Default Vivint vs. Counterforce Home Security Systems

Sooooo here's the deal:

Have a Vivint alarm system in my house, have had it now for 2 years 9 months (33 months), on a 42 month contract. It is typical for Vivint to make you sign a 36-42 month service contract with them. Anyway, alarm system itself is pimp. Service, thus far has been pimp. Issues? none whatsoever. Complaints? The typical one...$50-55/month monitoring fee. Was told because we get the system and all the goods for free, the cost is higher for monitoring. Anyway, I was told they are notorious for auto-renewing contracts, so I took a proactive approach 24 30 months in and called to find out the details. They told me to call back when I am 36 months in, negotiate the terms and they will lower the monthly costs. So good with that...

Now....tonight....

Some dude from Counterforce Security who is teamed up with Chubb security comes by the house and starts talking to me about Vivint. About how they sell the same system which is a Honeywell system and they will buy out the existing contract term with Vivint, offer the same service etc. for $42/month. Not sure how they can do this, but this is what they told me. Also they said vivint is bad and overpriced and blah blah, whatever.

Anyway.....I am looking for some opinions on Counterforce Security and if anyone here has dealt with them before? I searched the web and everything is fairly vague, not really too much to be honest. So curious about support, issues, customer service, that kind of deal. Anything would be appreciated.

I want to save money, but I am also a fan of the devil I know compared to the devil I don't know.

Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    2005 F350

i was just going to post this exact same thing

"I want to save money, but I am also a fan of the devil I know compared to the devil I don't know."

i have Vivint as well and no problems here. I would give the customer service a call and see if they would be willing to negotiate a lower monthly fee to keep you as a customer.

P.S. i pay $42 a month...
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I read my contract with vivint and its renewed to a monthly contract after the 39mos or whatever you sign up for, not another 39 mos.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Man, good service, and good customer service is priceless...

If it's working great, and no complaints, don't eff with it...

That's my 2 cents
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What exactly are you getting for $55 a month? That's $660 a year. I had United alarm for $20 a month, and had no issues with them, no contract so can cancel any time, and the one time my alarm went off in three years, the cops showed up right away.

Not saying $55 or $42 is a bad deal, just not sure what "service" you are getting for more than double the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I called them and worked them hardcore. Got it down to $45/month from $50. Sorry I thought it was $55 but actually $42.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

SOAB - how the hell did you get it down to $42???
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    2005 F350

i've been with them for a few years so this has been the price i've been paying for 4 years now.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Default Re: Vivint vs. Counterforce Home Security Systems

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    $50-55/month monitoring fee.
    From your smart phone or land line? If it's smart phone, what can you control from it?
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

Default Re: Re: Vivint vs. Counterforce Home Security Systems

Originally posted by R!zz0

From your smart phone or land line? If it's smart phone, what can you control from it?
    i can control everything from my smart phone. Either i use the app or I log into their website.

I can arm it stay, away, disarm. It provides me with a log of who armed/disarmed at what time and such. Even sends me emails of all actions.

When I was younger, I used to disabled the chimes (panel noise) and certain sensors so i could sneak out at night. This new style system, my kids can't do that to me because it sends me emails

PM me with your email addy, i'll send you a screen shot of the login page and what it displays.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Yeah i pay $45/month with Reliance and pretty much control everything from my phone. The guy who came over and talked to me about it still owes me the adapter so i can turn on/off my lights from my phone.

I have the same set up as you and even get emails of all the actions. I love the chimes because my 4 year old loves to open doors. The only thing i don't like is that they don't call you when the alarm goes off. They told me if it's more than 30 seconds, then we call. So if anyone breaks in they can tell you to disarm it and they wouldn't even know someone is at your house robbing you.

[email protected]

Mine has that 2 way communcations panel. So even if they cut your phone line, it utilizes GSM technology and wirelessly communicates with you.

My nerds, they set it off all the time, and within 7 seconds the main control panel, the monitoring service contacts you to check if there are any issues. They ask you the "secret" questions and blah blah so it's great. They don't call you unless there is no response from the main panel. Makes sense...because if the alarm is chirping and you aren't home...there's a prob haha.

Another nice thing is the ability to add devices as everything is control wirelessly. So i was able to add a rear control panel as well. Only thing is the batteries go at about the 3 year mark, but easy to replace. It sends you an email to notify you of a weak battery too.

Sent you the screen shot btw.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

I got your email and it's exactly like how i have it on my phone.

It's a sweet set up and definitely worth having especially if you have little ones in the house

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I think I'll be signing up with Vivint.

Do the installers typically stay with the recommended hardware of for example 2 window/door sensors or do they hook you up with more free?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

They usually do a site inspection of your house, then make a recommendation of what you should have. You can try and bargain with them and see what they'll hook you up with.

You can tell them I referred you too so I can get a $5 monthly discount for a year or something

My Ride

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    They usually do a site inspection of your house, then make a recommendation of what you should have. You can try and bargain with them and see what they'll hook you up with.

You can tell them I referred you too so I can get a $5 monthly discount for a year or something

The home currently has an ADT system installed. From talking to the CS rep, he says that they can use ADT existing sensors/motion detectors and convert them to work for Vivint, so hopefully they use the old stuff, and then with their standard items I'll have a more extensive system.

Alarmforce wouldn't re-use ADT stuff saying they don't want to use some other companies stuff and it fails. As well as they don't have remote arm/disarm.

So because Vivint is able to integrate into their system, it was a clear winner. Not to mention Vivint Canadian offices are in Calgary so that was another plus.

Only drawback with Vivint is I read if they have to come out to repair stuff, its a $45 fee all the time.

Sure, I'll say you referred me. Who do I tell?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 07-20-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Originally posted by dj_rice

The home currently has an ADT system installed. From talking to the CS rep, he says that they can use ADT existing sensors/motion detectors and convert them to work for Vivint, so hopefully they use the old stuff, and then with their standard items I'll have a more extensive system.

Alarmforce wouldn't re-use ADT stuff saying they don't want to use some other companies stuff and it fails. As well as they don't have remote arm/disarm.

So because Vivint is able to integrate into their system, it was a clear winner. Not to mention Vivint Canadian offices are in Calgary so that was another plus.

Only drawback with Vivint is I read if they have to come out to repair stuff, its a $45 fee all the time.

Sure, I'll say you referred me. Who do I tell?
    That's right, they can refuse the old system. That's what they did for my house. Had a brinks system before and they wired into the existing system and reused all the sensors. They also added in a new glass break sensor, motion sensor, smoke detector and a wireless key fob so I can arm and disarm from my bedroom. Oh that and also a new main panel on the main floor with a backup battery.

Love my system.

My Ride

Just signed up with Vivint. Managed to get first month free and $120 extra free equipment. Getting installed Saturday. Only home security. Don't need the automation since house isn't that baller. Can't wait.

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Just signed up with Vivint. Managed to get first month free and $120 extra free equipment. Getting installed Saturday. Only home security. Don't need the automation since house isn't that baller. Can't wait.
    So whats your monthly cost going to be and whats it include?

Yeah I didn't get the home automation either, just security. One thing I did add on later was a wireless keypad for the back entrance, this is because we go through the backdoor to take our pooch out in the morning, so easier to disarm rather than run across the house to disable.

Another thing I am looking at is the wireless keypad lock. This is because my idiot kids have on 3 occasions now left the house without locking the front door....not worried about the content, that shit is all replaceable. More worried about my pooch and what some psycho would do if he broke into my house because the front door wasn't locked. Anyway you can control the deadbolt remotely which means I can check and make sure the front door was/is in fact locked.

My Ride

Originally posted by KappaSigma

So whats your monthly cost going to be and whats it include?

$49.99/month.

Not sure what is includes as my existing ADT system that was installed already has all the doors/window sensors and prox sensor covered. So they will re-use those sensors and add on top.

One thing I will get is a garage tilt sensor since the $120 covers

Hopefully the install tech hooks me up with more free shit, I really want the wireless front door keypad lock.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 07-24-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast