Quantcast
Though light on policy, Trudeau offers key glimpses of next Liberal platform - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Though light on policy, Trudeau offers key glimpses of next Liberal platform

My Ride
    Nothing

Alberta needs to fall and we need 20% interest rates again. Too many fat cats here
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Toma

Why? Crude is gonna fall in price. We need to diversify to ensure we do not repeat the disaster that was the 80s.

Also, we should maximize our cut of what we already produce.

Banking on oil alone is a naive recipe for doom.
    It is? When, and by how much? I'll sell some crude oil futures then.

It may fall temporarily, but like you said diversifying is key. Asia may pay WTI or Brent + a premium for oil, while North American pricing may dip. Having that option is important I think.

We also could sell gas and NGLs to Asia, but I'm assuming he's against that as well.

You're right that oil/nat gas alone will not fund Canada, but it does a lot.

My Ride
    is wild

i always thought quebec would be first to separate, if he gets elected i think alberta will start playing the quebec threat game. his father damn near ruined us with his nep bullshit.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    Vmax

If the Libs ever get into power it will be the National Energy Program all over again for Alberta.

Better Dead than voting Red........

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by m10-power
    i always thought quebec would be first to separate, if he gets elected i think alberta will start playing the quebec threat game. his father damn near ruined us with his nep bullshit.
    NEP had nothing to do with it. Just coincidental timing to a much wider crash.

Read up on it. World wide economic troubles, stupid interest rates, oil glutt

Yes, right winger dummies still believe it was the NEP alone lol. But some people believe in little green men and santa clause.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If you think that would change under Junior, think again. They've got they're hands in too many pockets. He's just Nenshi on a national level. Lots of great ideas that will never see fruition.
    Nenshi on a national level.
    Good analogy.

Corporations will crush this little kid even more so than crushing Harper.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by m10-power
    his father damn near ruined us with his nep bullshit.
    That was 30 years ago, probably before you were born. Let it go and kindly step off the bandwagon.

If the NEP is your argument against Justin Trudeau, or even the Liberal Party for that matter, you should do a little bit of research and come up with some substantial points.

As for having 'nearly ruined' us, that's quite the statement considering that less than 20 years after the end of the NEP, Alberta was the only province able to declare itself completely debt free and with a reserve fund worth billions.

The concept is called utilitarianism and is simply taking the course of action that maximizes utility. Simply put, it is the philosophy of doing the greatest good for the greatest number of people. If you still don't get it, think of it as amputating a limb because it will save a life. It sucks being the limb but during the 1980s, in the wake of high inflation and oil prices, that's what Alberta was.

The sooner you get that Alberta crested silver spoon out of your mouth the sooner you'll stop sounding like a spoiled little rich brat.

Originally posted by Isaiah

That was 30 years ago, probably before you were born. Let it go and kindly step off the bandwagon.

If the NEP is your argument against Justin Trudeau, or even the Liberal Party for that matter, you should do a little bit of research and come up with some substantial points.

As for having 'nearly ruined' us, that's quite the statement considering that less than 20 years after the end of the NEP, Alberta was the only province able to declare itself completely debt free and with a reserve fund worth billions.

The concept is called utilitarianism and is simply taking the course of action that maximizes utility. Simply put, it is the philosophy of doing the greatest good for the greatest number of people. If you still don't get it, think of it as amputating a limb because it will save a life. It sucks being the limb but during the 1980s, in the wake of high inflation and oil prices, that's what Alberta was.

The sooner you get that Alberta crested silver spoon out of your mouth the sooner you'll stop sounding like a spoiled little rich brat.
    Thanks for the lesson! Congrats on joining Toma on my ignore list

taking the course of action that maximizes utility
    If this is true, then we need to kill the drain on the economic system. That is, vegetable seniors, drug addicts, alcoholics, and anyone else who gets tax payers money to live.

Let's take your statement further.

The animal/insect kingdom has been around for millions of years before humanity. What happens when one of such can no longer pull their weight? They get left behind to die as carrying such on their back would "minimize utility".

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Unlike Toma, who is also on my ignore list, I am not an extremist. I question whether you've ignored me because I presented a valid argument that you're unable to dispute or whether it's because I've argued in defence of the Liberal Party and you're a typical western conservative.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    Why? What's wrong with opposing points of view?

I don't even understand ignoring Toma to be honest......

(or am I on it too? )
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by Seth1968

If this is true, then we need to kill the drain on the economic system. That is, vegetable seniors, drug addicts, alcoholics, and anyone else who gets tax payers money to live.

Let's take your statement further.

The animal/insect kingdom has been around for millions of years before humanity. What happens when one of such can no longer pull their weight? They get left behind to die as carrying such on their back would "minimize utility".
    That's extremism. I'll stay within the boundaries of pragmatic discussion by saying that Pierre Trudeau, in ratifying his energy minister's program, was trying to do what was best for the country as a whole - since as prime minister he represented the country as a whole.

The difficult decisions, like the NEP, and War Measures Act, are the actions that define strong leaders and set them apart from mere populists. It is those unpopular and difficult actions that they know will alienate a segment of the population, that differentiates a true leader acting in the best interests of the people from vote-hungry politicians acting in their own self interests in pursuit of their next mandate.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Unlike Toma, who is also on my ignore list, I am not an extremist. I question whether you've ignored me because I presented a valid argument that you're unable to dispute or whether it's because I've argued in defence of the Liberal Party and you're a typical western conservative.
    Extremist??? lol

Yeah, I do admit that the older I get, the lower my patience for absolute stupidity and idiots.

But I would not call me an extremist

PS. I liked your other post. "Entitled" people never seem to get it.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Why? Crude is gonna fall in price. We need to diversify to ensure we do not repeat the disaster that was the 80s.

You understand that in order to do these two things, we need Northern Gateway right? We can sell oil to Asia without having to discount the price, therefore the revenue generated goes up.

All his campaign will be is more of the "Education is a right, making six figures is a right, all the people in the west are keeping you from having these things."
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Why? What's wrong with opposing points of view?

I don't even understand ignoring Toma to be honest......

(or am I on it too? )
    Nah I only have a few people ignored, and you're not one of them. Toma completely ruins threads with utter nonsense and hypocracy, threads are drastically easier to read when his posts don't show up. I took things off topic though.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 04-18-2013 at 12:09 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by FraserB

You understand that in order to do these two things, we need Northern Gateway right? We can sell oil to Asia without having to discount the price, therefore the revenue generated goes up.

All his campaign will be is more of the "Education is a right, making six figures is a right, all the people in the west are keeping you from having these things."
    "We" won't make more. We will still get the same lousy cut, but bleed our limited resource faster.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Stalemach tried that. It worked great.... for Saskatchewan.

"We" won't make more. We will still get the same lousy cut, but bleed our limited resource faster.
    The problem with energy resource is that you are trying to get it out ASAP before it's no longer needed.

Just look at the coal industry.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-18-2013 at 03:12 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Xtrema

Stalemach tried that. It worked great.... for Saskatchewan.

The problem with energy resource is that you are trying to get it out ASAP before it's no longer needed.

Just look at the coal industry.
    That wasn't any type of "try".

It's simple.... it just must be done. If they would rather exploit Saskatchewan, cool, it would be a good way to "nationalize" oil, without heavy handed tactics.

"we" tax payers invented oil sands extraction, at OUR cost. We can re form a "petro canada" owned by "us", and then enjoy the FULL benefit.

Oil is not rocket science. EVERY country that has nationalized their limited resource has benefited, while we managed to get into Debt. Weird.

That's extremism. I'll stay within the boundaries of pragmatic discussion...
    Such pragmatism has no bounds.

All typical political parties cater to corporations and live to stay in power. There is no such thing as the greater good.

Right from our "Gestapo" police, to an education system that teaches propaganda, useless information, and a total lack of critical thinking.

Democracy my ass.

True democracy would start by dismantling power of the federal government, and letting each province make their own decisions.

My Ride
    is wild

Ok Dad, funny I lived through and was directly impacted by the NEP. My issue is the eastern need to control the wealth in Alberta's resources. The NEP was specifically designed to fund the eastern population during the energy crisis, which resulted in Albertans taking a larger hit. So it's fine to save the east at the expense of the west in your opinion, I don't agree.

NEP did not lead to Alberta having no debt, had nothing to do positive in that matter.

Seems for far too many years we have been paying a much larger portion of the total bill and getting shit for it. Blah blah blah dirty oil sands, stop the pipelines, but please keep the money coming in...I personally would gladly vote to leave the nation if this shit keeps happening.

Trudeau getting in charge will do nothing good for Alberta, if you think it will your smoking some good shit or drinking the cool-aid.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast