Quantcast
Immobolizer/proximity fob discussion (split) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Immobolizer/proximity fob discussion (split)

Don't those cars have the smart key features and immobilizers?

Hmm interesting. So once the car is started it stays running no matter how far it gets from the key?

My Ride
    changes every year

^i want to test that theory out with my car because im always scared of leaving it running and even if the key is just outside the door of the car, it beeps like a motherfucker at me until its back in the car.

i hope thats the case that it dies after a certain amount of time without the key in the car. good luck with it regardless.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

thats odd... even hyundai starts yelling at you if you even step out of the car with the key while its running

Yeah it's too bad it wouldn't just turn off once it was out of range, but that would be pretty unsafe if your fob battery died. It makes an annoying beeping sound but thats probably not a very strong deterrent lol

Had a Nissan Juke at one time in my life and always wondered how these things worked....hope she finds it safe and sound somewhere...what is happening to that neighbourhood that you can't even leave your car running in the driveway for fear of some crackhead watching down the block....

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    ^i want to test that theory out with my car because im always scared of leaving it running and even if the key is just outside the door of the car, it beeps like a motherfucker at me until its back in the car.

i hope thats the case that it dies after a certain amount of time without the key in the car. good luck with it regardless.
    Tested on Camry, drove forever dinging away. Cadillac same thing.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Tried that on a BMW too, it drove for a whlie and never stopped running.

Thats shitty... Hope it's just out for a joy ride.

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

shitty deal, they should make them like if the key is away from the car within like 1 or 2 M of the car then the car shouldn't go in to gear

My Ride
    growls

Originally posted by mboldt

What would you call it if it was left running & it wasn't "really stolen"? lol borrowed? I am confused.

At least her child wasn't in the vehicle when it happened. I wonder how many times she's left it running in that same type of situation with the kid in the seat to run back inside... Scary thought.

I'll keep any eye out though.
    No, what I was getting at is these vehicles can't really be "stolen" anymore because of the keys being chipped and/or fob and push start etc. so really the only way it goes anywhere is if someone leaves it on and unattended. When I was at ford, I was told if the car has a fob and is left running and you drive away without the fob it will run until you turn it off then you won't be able to get it started again.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Aren't those police traceable with that platinum sticker number on them? Or is that thing useless and doesn't actually track anything like I think it does (GPS)?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by msommers
    Aren't those police traceable with that platinum sticker number on them? Or is that thing useless and doesn't actually track anything like I think it does (GPS)?

What your thinking of is the Etch. Its just stickers you apply on certain body panels that prevent chop shops from selling the parts as its etched into the body panels with ID#s. Nothing to do with GPS
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

As long as the vehicle is running it will drive until it runs out of gas and ding at you like crazy saying your key is out of range. Once it is shut off it will not restart.
    Key-less vehicles can be stolen. They run on a rolling code system. The theft module has a programmed algorithm that generates a code that the key fob is in sync with give or take a few codes. Thefts have a system than can capture the codes and figure out the algorithm but this is not small time stuff, your local crackhead thief is not going to have this technology.
    Chop shop stuff has more or less ended in 2010 with the introduction of global architecture. Anything from doors to transmissions have modules in them with the vin programmed into them. If a module with a non-matching vin gets put into a vehicle it will lock almost every module in the car, that could be up to around 80 modules. The highest bill I have heard of to fix a locked down car was $30 000.
    I'm sure all that it will take is a call to nissan and they will tell you within a few meters were her car is.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Used to be as easy as popping in a pre programed BCM but Nissan has changed the requirements for the IKey in recent years. Either way this car is going to turn up shortly.

Make sure to get insurance to pay for an inspection and cleaning.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Make sure to get insurance to pay for an inspection and cleaning.
    Oh God, I put a ignition lock cylinder and holder in a neon theft recovery on Thursday. I vacuumed out the drivers seat and foot well so I didn't tetanus or the bubonic plague.

All those who posted about proximity based car shut down: if the battery runs out on your smart key when you're driving it, what happens then?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    All those who posted about proximity based car shut down: if the battery runs out on your smart key when you're driving it, what happens then?

On certain Nissan/Infiniti vehicles, there is a slot on the drivers side of the console that is the size of the key fob that your to slide the key fob in. Its a eletronic module that is supposed to recognize your key since the battery is low and allow you to start your car.

Many vehicle owners are told by car salesmen that this slot is for charging the key fob battery but are told wrong.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 02:19 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 01:00 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by dj_rice

On certain Nissan/Infiniti vehicles, there is a slot on the drivers side of the console that is the size of the key fob that your to slide the key fob in. Its a eletronic module that is supposed to recognize your key since the battery is low and allow you to start your car.

Many vehicle owners are told by car salesmen that this slot is for charging the key fob battery but are told wrong.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Most European models, and Mazda actually do charge the fob when it's inserted into thier perspective slots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast