Quantcast
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 - worth the additional $$$? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 - worth the additional $$$?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 - worth the additional $$$?

I've been comparing a 2013 GT to a 2013 Boss 302 and I'm trying to decide of the Boss 302 is worth the extra $13k (with options and taxes it comes to 54k compared to the GT's $41.7k (California Special w/ nav).

Looking at how I intend to drive the car I know I won't be road racing, and it will probably never see a track. I intend to have it as a summer car. I'm sure I'll take it on some nice drives, but I haven't been to a track since 2008 and I don't see that changing anytime soon...

So, is there really a point in getting a Boss 302 compared to a "regular" GT w/ some options (and saving $13k in the process)?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

ask Baygirl. LOL! She wants a 302 pretty badly.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

In my opinion I would say no. 5.0 GT is a hell of a car for the price. The boss 302 has 24 more hp, better seats, track friendly suspension.... I dont think its worth the extra $13k though. My friend in Fort Mac has a Boss 302 and that car is awesome however.

Here is a recent video for you as well.

GL on your decision!

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 02:19 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride

Yea that seems to be the consensus in what I read: the 302 is an exceptional track car. I'm starting to lean toward the "plain jane" GT w/ California Special package.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Get the GT with the Brembo package.

Add boss 302 grille, lip, lower it.

Toss some boost, exhaust, and rest for a dyno tune. You're under that extra 13k price range and have a 500+hp car

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

get a fully loaded 2011 GT... for $25k (yes, they have dropped to that range used)

then buy the entire american muscle catalog

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

If you track it's a no-brainer. The Boss 302 outperforms the BMW M3 in nearly every performance metric. However you can get a GT with the track pack and pretty well match an M3 so I you aren't tracking I suggest a GT with the track pack. Don't waste money on the CS (domestic rice) option which is nothing but fake scoops and minor trim changes. After a month you will regret the standard GT suspension which is way too soft and bouncy. The track pack feels tighter and still rides decent on the street as well you get nice additions from the Boss like the upgraded radiator and oil cooler. If you aren't a fat person I highly suggest the Recaro option as well as regular/premium mustang seats are worse than the seats in 90% of cars out there as they offer zero lateral support. They are made for the typical 50 year old fat man that buys a Mustang just to cruise around in.
    Last edited by heavyD; 04-14-2013 at 03:30 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by ercchry
    get a fully loaded 2011 GT... for $25k (yes, they have dropped to that range used)

then buy the entire american muscle catalog
    I wouldn't recommend a 2011. Too many transmission, front LCA, and engine tick issues.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

uh... right, do you have any literature on any changes to those areas of the car beyond 2011?

the transmission stuff was blown well out of proportion. besides from you i have yet to heard of any LCA issues... and since i said buy the entire catalog of am parts... those would be replaced. engine tick would probably be for the 20w factory fill oil they had recommended till late 2011... which there was a notice for to NOT use... which would probably fix it with the next oil change

My Ride
    Sedans

Tough call. Being a Mustang nut I'd be tempted to get the rarer Boss though. I've seen them at very 'affordable' prices though, never one as high as $54K personally.

Blog: http://officialthreetwenty.com/

'92 Grand Prix SE sedan: 3.1L V6 / Auto
    '12 Focus SE sedan: 2.0L I4 / 5-speed manual

-Bill M.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

uh... right, do you have any literature on any changes to those areas of the car beyond 2011?

the transmission stuff was blown well out of proportion. besides from you i have yet to heard of any LCA issues... and since i said buy the entire catalog of am parts... those would be replaced. engine tick would probably be for the 20w factory fill oil they had recommended till late 2011... which there was a notice for to NOT use... which would probably fix it with the next oil change
    Lots of changes were made in late 2011 early 2012 cars especially with the transmission. My 2012 (April 2012 build) just missed the coated gears that were added in August 2011+ builds.

Here is 68 pages of people getting their LCA's changed out. Some multiple times. 2011's had Rev. A, 2012 (my car) was on Rev B, 2013 Rev. C (still having issues if you care to read). Hopefully soon a proper fix is in order.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...normal-68.html

Engine tick (nothing to do with oil viscosity) is partially due to the piston oil squirters that were used in 2011-2012 engines. 2013 Ford removed them in 2013 and used coated pistons. Again plenty of reading below if you care to educate yourself;

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...med-up-40.html

I owned a 2012 and I had a lot of those issues. They are very real and lots of owners have had them which is why I recommend 2013+ models.
    Last edited by heavyD; 04-14-2013 at 03:49 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i still fail to see the $20k+ value in getting a 2013... aftermarket LCA are cheap, cars come with 5 year 100k km drivetrain warranty. Cam doesnt hold cars longer than a year

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

i still fail to see the $20k+ value in getting a 2013... aftermarket LCA are cheap, cars come with 5 year 100k km drivetrain warranty. Cam doesnt hold cars longer than a year
    Actually aftermarket front LCA's are $$$ for these cars and most of them are for race applications. Biggest problem is that owners with issues don't really have any options.

Also because a lot of 2011 especially and some 2012 are pieces of shit. I don't have an axe to grind with Ford. I'm all about giving people a heads up of what they are getting into. If it's a short term then yes but chances are people getting rid of their 2011/2012 will be like me trying to unload a problematic car. I couldn't even find a Ford dealer that would take mine off my hands because they would have so many used ones already on the lot. It's why I suggest the track pack on a new car as you will sell your car privately much faster as they are rare and regular GT's are a dime a dozen.

My Ride

Cam doesnt hold cars longer than a year
    Not true! I usually don't even hold them THAT long

I'm pretty set on a white 2013 GT right now. Now it's just a question of finding one at the right price for the right time.

My Ride
    Ferrari

I've considered the same arguement, OP, between the two cars. For the Money, the GT is a better buy. I think you get more options and comfort. The Boss interior felt a little lackluster. You can pick up the extra performance with bolt ons when you are ready.

However, myself, since I intend to buy the car and drive the shit out of it (because thats what you do with sports cars, within reason), I intend to pick up a boss. I thoroughly drove both of them and I favored the boss because its more of what I like, and I intend to track the car. I felt that I didnt want to buy bolt ons to make the car better. I just wanted to buy a car that was 'already done' and not have to bother with modifications. The track key is a neat feature, as well as the sidepipes (Quad Exhaust). The car also isnt just a pumped up GT. The list is too long and probably boring to talk about, but to give you an example the engine was built with racing in mind so it has stronger parts and more/better balance.

I was down at advantage about a week ago and they had a used Boss 302 for 45k out the door. Unfortunately, somebody bought it pretty much the second I decided I didnt like the colour. Its funny pretty much every ford dealer I goto has 2 - 3 Boss 302 cars, and NO GT's.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

same money will get you a couple years old gt500

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ408884759

My Ride
    Ferrari

Originally posted by fiveowed
    same money will get you a couple years old gt500

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ408884759
    Very true and good spot. I do believe I saw a new 662HP GT500 for sale used at one of the ford dealers for not alot of money.

My Ride
    19 GLI

here is a list of differences i took from an argument on a Boss forum I am part of.

I went thru the same thing when buying mine. The thing that a list cant tell you is the way it feels and sounds. I like mine even more than my 2011 GT500. Its so amazing.

Sadly for me I have to sell mine due to personal reasons as it is by far the most enjoyable car I have ever owned.

Powertrain
    Boss 302R Intake
    Forged Pistons
    Upgraded Con-Rods
    Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
    Larger Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
    Hi-Lift Exhaust Cams
    7500 RPM Limit
    CNC’d Heads
    Oil Cooler
    Larger Radiator
    Revised Radiator Plumbing
    Revised Oil Pan Baffling
    Race Inspired Clutch
    3.73 Axle Ratio
    Finned Aluminum Diff Cover
    Limited Slip Diff with carbon fiber plates (Torsen Limited Slip Available)
    Quad Exhaust
    Suspension
    Higher Rate Springs (lowered 11MM front – 1MM rear)
    Adjustable Struts/Shocks
    25MM Rear Anti-roll bar (GT is 24MM)
    Tuned Electronic Steering with 3 Settings
    Unique traction control system settings
    Unique electronic stability control settings
    TracKey - Additional Key that enables the PCM setting of the 302R (dealer flash required)

Body
    Black or White Roof Panel and Coordinated C-Stripe
    Unique Front Facia with Blocked off Fog Lamps and Splitter
    Small Rear Spoiler

Interior
    Alcantara Steering Wheel
    Unique Shift Knob
    Unique Cloth Seats (Recaros available)
    Cloth Door Panel Insert
    Dark Metallic Instrument Panel Finish
    Unique Guages
    Unique Door Sill
    11 Pounds of Sound Deadening Removed
    Brakes, Wheels and Tires
    Brembo 14 inch vented discs front
    Boss specific rear compounds pads rear
    Vented Brake Shields
    Unique ABS tuning
    Reinforced Brake Lines
    Lightweight 19X9 and 19X9.5 Wheels
    Pirelli P-Zero Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front 285/35/ZR19 Rear

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 01:02 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast