Quantcast
Which amp to buy - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Which amp to buy

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

Default Which amp to buy

Hey Guys,

I have narrowed down my selection to three amps to power my single Type R 12

-Alpine MRP 500 (con is that it has no knob)
    -Phoenix Gold Z5001 (con can't find any reviews)
    -MB Quartz T2-5001 (con no high level input)

I love the alpine just want to be able to control the amp from my seat and I don't have a aftermarket deck. The alpine is known to be underrated so thats a good thing.

The PG seems to have it all expect I cannot find any reviews..... is this even a quality amp, does it put out the claimed 500?

Is your sub duel 2 ohm or duel 4 ohm?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

No PG is absolute dog shit now. Basically they found out out its far cheaper to have Pyramid make amps for them, so thats all they were doing since early 2000's. Basically take Pyramid's highest end stuff, and thats what PG now uses, just rebranded. That started with their QX series amps circa 2000.

PG used to be an awesome manufacturer. I have amps from them and Kicker from the early to mid 90's. And even now their very very hard to beat in terms of quality. 20 & 15 years later. Like if you look up Vintage PG on ebay (such as type in "Phoenix Gold ZX500"), they go for a MINT. Same with many, many other old school amps. You just cant see that kind of quality any more today. Back then amps were all hand made in the USA. Today? um... not so much.

I'd recommend the MB Quart, with Alpine second. Forget PG.

EDIT: Opps, I forgot to mention, you dont need an amp with a built in high level input, you can get one of these for next to fuck-all.
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=265-4040

I used one for my after market sub install in my old Z4. They all work the same, pyramid, boss, same shit really. It doesn't really matter if its a 2nd party unit like in the pic. It'll be likely the exact same thing as the amp with that built into it.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 04-22-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

Thanks Graham,

I'll go with the Alpine as I can just buy it all at the same place in that case. I can always fade to reduce/increase base I guess.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-16-2019 at 02:29 PM.

My Ride
    CH9

lets assume that your sub is a dual 4ohm voice coil. this makes a huge difference in your amp selection as most amps will make different power and lower nominal impedance.

As for the amps you are looking at
    i have extensive experience with all 3.
    That alpine amp is the best selling amp in america for a reason.
    The MB is a little under rated and performs quite well.

as for this PG is crap speech.

I agree that PG isnt what it was 10 years ago, BUT over the last couple of years and under new ownership they are working very hard to rebuild the legendary status, R-D is now done in house in Florida, take some time and look at the Elite and TI stuff Very impressive.
    (on a side note i have recently ordered a complete Ti system for my accord )

If you have the DVC 4ohm sub than buy the alpine, or spend a bit more and look at the mrxm55(really nice and i believe it have the bass knob you want)

also try looking at the PG z1000.1 this amp can be purchased for a very good price and will make those other 3 amps look foolish.

My Ride

^ Interesting, I'll have to do some research and possibly testing that.
    Its funny, Kicker had an amazing amp called the ZR1000. They are absolutely epic. Probably the last amp Kicker made thats worth a pinch of chicken shit. All of Kicker ZR series were amazing amps. Also quite under-rated. We tested a ZR1000, and it was putting out 1300 watts RMS with still a perfect signal. Not bad for an amp rated to 1000 watts RMS bridged at 4ohms.
    I have a hand built 1992 built Kicker SI500, and I absolutely adore it to no end, same with my (also hand built) 1996 PG ZX500. Both are massively under-rated. They have incredible SQ, yet still will rattle your teeth out, without even trying. The 90's were awesome years for amps.... I still buy whatever I can from that era. So many other brands that put out incredible amps. PG had a barrage of SE amps that were worth every last cent of their price, now they have none. Even if they did I'd still be leery.
    About (year) 2000 was the last year for decent amps, past that they all went to shit. PG had some epic amps back in the day... I can go on and on. I'd give my left nut to get my hands on an MS1000. Now they claim a VERY tidy sum on ebay. Cheapest I've seen was $900.
    That one was BEAT, yet even so their performance parameters are such that, even at $900, its a deal, for an incredible SQ amp that can do 2200 RMS rated, but more like 2800 RMS real life.
    Yeah I was most disappointed with PG, given their history I thought they'd stick to making decent amps, now its just pure shit. SUCH a let down.
    Most decent amps now go for such a tidy sum its crazy. Which only boosts the market for these old school amps as of late.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 04-23-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

Thanks for all the replies .

Maybe I shall grab the mb. Quartz after all.

The pg z-10001 is it this one: http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...061&sku=Z10001

That's actually a decent amp?? O boy budgeting this is a pain in the rear

My Ride

^ There are a lot better amps in the classifieds here for as much money, if not less.
    I wouldn't touch that PG. Yeah that MB is probably your best bet. Then if you still need that line converter, you have that option.