Quantcast
Moving to Edmonton for work - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to Edmonton for work

My Ride
    2010 S4

Default Moving to Edmonton for work

Well got a job for after I graduate in Edmonton, so moving up there in the next month. Any tips beyond has for moving up there? What is there to do? Best bars? Where is the best patio for Caesars and brunch? Where not to live? How to avoid being stabbed?

Before someone says use the search I already did but anything pertaining to this is 7+ years old I'm sure things have changed since then.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

You poor bastard...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My condolences
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

First thing, start looking for position in Calgary.

Fuck, I hate Edmonton.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by lilmira
    Well unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot in Calgary right now only myself and one other person in my grad class of about 16 have jobs lined up. Some of this has to do with people being lazy about job hunting but also a lot to do with only focusing on Calgary for jobs.

Plus the pay is significantly better than what I would likely get if I stayed here.
    Last edited by dubhead; 04-25-2013 at 12:35 PM.

I've moved here for work.
    The only thing that makes it bearable is the fact that I live in St. Albert. I really enjoy the community here. I'm married with a kid and like Suburban neighbourhoods. Taxes are high here but it's worth it for me.

If you want suburbs, anywhere in the SW is good on either side of the Henday between whitemud and Calgary trail.

If you are into the night life then I would live around the university/whyte ave.

I like Oliver as well. It's central and close to the river valley.

Stay away from areas north of 104th ave and south of the yellowhead. Millwoods and clearview are Edmonton's version of the NE.

Hope this helps.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by dubhead

Well unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot in Calgary right now only myself and one other person in my grad class of about 16 have jobs lined up. Some of this has to do with people being lazy about job hunting but also a lot to do with only focusing on Calgary for jobs.

Plus the pay is significantly better than what I would likely get if I stayed here.
    Its not worth it!! I moved there for the pay too, but its a horrible horrible place. I cant give you any advice, other than get a good lock, a dog, and find a woman before you go there....your standards are about to freefall...

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Lol, I don't know what it is with that place, the moment I enter the city limit, my heart sinks. I lived there because of work for 4months, that's 4months too long. Don't get too depressed, I'm sure you will be alright lol.

My Ride
    oooo

I was going to say if you are going to Edmonton, find a place in St. Albert. It is nice, clean and overall pretty nice.

I have spent a lot of time there and Stony Plain, Spruce Grove etc are all pretty horrible. Edmonton has some of the worst roads I have driven on in North America so if you have nice wheels and tires sell them here before you move .

Lots of quadding and camping to do around there but skiing is pretty much pointless as you have to drive 3 hours to Jasper.

There are lots of decent pubs etc but there really is no "downtown" like Calgary the novelty of living off of Whyte Ave to go drinking would wear off really quickly.

It is not the same as living on 17th or anywhere near downtown Calgary. More like living off of Gaetz Avenue in Red Deer.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    This and that.

I moved here last February for pretty much the same reason as you. I am still here and live in a downtown condo and work in downtown as well. It's a 15 min walk for me from my place to work so it's not too bad. But do I ever hate this city, would love to move back to Calgary but I really do like my firm here and it is very good for my career.

Where are you going to be living and stuff etc? It's been a year and only now I am slowly started to be familiar with the areas here and that too only a few limited ones. I go to Calgary quite often...I've put just over 30,000 km's on my car in just over a year cause of that though!

Whyte isn't considered downtown though. Downtown is just after the bridge and Jasper Ave is more downtown. Whyte is where all the university kids live and go partying though.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-25-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Don't bother with a nice vehicle... the roads are so horrible in Edmonton that a decent ride will be destroyed in no time.

I couldn't believe it when I was there last week... absolutely terrible condiitons, all around the city.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

When I lived there briefly I found the people are great, but I hate the city.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by lilmira
    http://ot-upload.com/i/whiteboygettinit.gif

My Ride
    This and that.

I do hate the roads like crazy! Hit a pot hole a while back and a brand new front tire got ruined and had to get two brand new one's. Them being low pro's on amg rims doesn't help the situation. The only good thing is that I don't drive as much when in the city cause I walk to work. Only time I really drive is when I come back to Calgary to visit.

Ive lived in edmonton area for 28 years, its a dump, but hey its better than fort mac. Plus we have two roadcourses(well for this year) and a 1/4 mile track.

I lived in st albert for the past 3 years, clean, no trailer trash and dare i say 99% caucasian lol. If your buying prepare for huge property taxes($380k house=$4000/yr)

Ive also lived in spruce grove, sherwood park, both are fine. Spruce grove is newer, relatively clean and laid out well, its neighboring town stony plain is a dump. Spruce grove falls under "rural" so house/car insurance is dirt cheap compared to edmonton area. Sherwood park is o.k, grew up there for 20 years, house value for area is semi comparable to calgary.

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by shakalaka

Whyte isn't considered downtown though. Downtown is just after the bridge and Jasper Ave is more downtown. Whyte is where all the university kids live and go partying though.
    Whyte has similar clubs etc as 17th but it isn't as near the "downtown" as 17th is.

Jasper Ave is compared to Stephen Ave for clubs but they are not even close.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

780tuners is probably a better place to find info like this from locals

My Ride
    This and that.

The only decent 'clubs' are in the West Ed Mall. Rest are all rundown pieces of crap. It's good that I am not really into that scene anymore anyway. But yea, Whyte is deff more happening, even though it's not downtown.

My Ride
    Car

I did my degree there. Honestly, the only good part of the city is Whyte ave, so live as close as possible to there. Some people like downtown, but the concensus in my crowd was never cross the river (to the north side) unless you absolutely must, and avoid anything transit. The bars on whyte are pretty good actually and fairly clustered, so you've got pubs like Black Dog, Filthy Mcnasty's, Squires, Billiards Club, the more clubish/"ultralounge"/douchebag central Strathcona Rack, Twist/Suite 69 (clubs), Hudsons, BP's, whatever you want all along whyte. It's predominantly a student crowd though, so be prepared for it to die come summer. One thing I can say about Whyte is I felt 100x safer stumbling around there than I do around 17th here.

Jasper Ave is on the northside and has more clubs than whyte, but is also a sketchier crowd, both more hobo's and more ed hardy types that'll probably stab you if you look at them wrong (which you will...they're fucktards).

As mentioned, West Ed has a couple decent bars, a little more expensive and an older crowd than you'll find on Whyte. I should also mention, as far as whyte bars go, billiards club is probaby the one with the fewest college students. It's my favorite place to go now when I go visit the friends who stayed there.

That said, come back to calgary ASAP. Literally all Eddy's got going for it is the university crowd and whyte ave, and to be honest hanging out with students is good for house parties, shitty for bars...cheap fuckers.
    Last edited by woodywoodford; 04-25-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast