Quantcast
ERC Correctional Staff walk off the job - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: ERC Correctional Staff walk off the job

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Default ERC Correctional Staff walk off the job

Today at 15:00 hrs, following the "indefinite suspension" of two Union Representitives and their forced removal from the Edmonton Remand Centre the entire afternoon shift, comprising of 70 officers refused to enter the building. The entire centre is on a complete lockdown.

EDMONTON - Alberta's justice minister says remand centre workers who have walked off the job in Alberta are engaging in an illegal job action.

Jonathan Denis was responding early Saturday morning to a strike that began at the Edmonton Remand Centre after a correctional worker was suspended for complaining about safety issues.
    AUPE and Correctional Staff have cited numerous safety issues with the New ERC over the past few months. These two union representatives were addressing their concerns to the Province and were severely disiplined as a result.

As a show of solidarity the following Correctional Centres followed suit in the walk out:
    - Edmonton Young Offenders Centre
    - Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre
    - Calgary Remand Centre
    - Calgary Correctional Centre
    - Lethbridge Correctional Centre

As well, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement has shut down the weigh scales at Leduc.

As of 19:00 hrs the Edmonton Remand Centre was under the staffing of the RCMP. And as of 01:00 hrs Riot Police were being deployed to the ERC to respond to problems within the centre.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/2...lk-off-the-job

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-lockdown.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...733/story.html

http://globalnews.ca/news/515354/pos...remand-centre/

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...827/story.html
    Last edited by DEATH2000; 04-27-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

I support them. Regardless if the safety issue was serious not, suspending a person for bringing up safety issues is insane. I'd seriously reconsider where I worked if my employeer was punishing people for bringing up safety matters.
    Last edited by Maybelater; 04-27-2013 at 08:35 AM.

If this is true, absolutely support them.

My Ride
    changes every year

100% agree with them. In no way should any emplyee feel threatened to disciplinary action or lose their job for having a voice,

as much as i hate the AUPE, I agree with them on this.
    however since RCMP is at the ERC does that mean there's no law enforcement for rural communities?
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    Trucks

F*cking unions. I'm quite sure it's the manner in which the safety concerns were brought up that got the guys(girls) fired. Like making threats or providing ultimatums. This is typically how unions do business. Having an unsafe work place is one thing, but no company is going to fire someone unless they are assholes about it. This is the job description for a 'Union Representative'.

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Smile

Originally posted by syritis

however since RCMP is at the ERC does that mean there's no law enforcement for rural communities?
    Their is still officers available from Rural Detachments. They pulled RCMP officers from other non front-line offices including the ALERT team.

RCMP actually sent up a bus full of officers to Edmonton, but they were forced to turn back halfway when the Calgary Remand Centre walked off as well.
    Last edited by DEATH2000; 04-27-2013 at 04:01 PM.

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by Darell_n
    F*cking unions. I'm quite sure it's the manner in which the safety concerns were brought up that got the guys(girls) fired. Like making threats or providing ultimatums. This is typically how unions do business. Having an unsafe work place is one thing, but no company is going to fire someone unless they are assholes about it. This is the job description for a 'Union Representative'.
    I have to agree with this. I absolutely agree, you should never have to fear for your job by bringing up safety concerns, and I've never in my entire life heard of an organization - especially a government one - firing somebody over it. So I'm 100% certain there's more to the story than we're being told here.

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Originally posted by woodywoodford

I have to agree with this. I absolutely agree, you should never have to fear for your job by bringing up safety concerns, and I've never in my entire life heard of an organization - especially a government one - firing somebody over it. So I'm 100% certain there's more to the story than we're being told here.
    Their is. It WAS NOT the union that fired these two employees. They were fired by the Solicitor General, their employer. They finally had enough of the Government refusing to acknowledge their concerns.

EDMONTON - A Labour Relations Board hearing has been told that inmates at the new Edmonton Remand Centre are reacting violently to the lockdown that resulted when correctional officers began a wildcat strike. “We had a considerable amount of acting out,” Mike Tholenaer, executive director at the Edmonton Remand Centre, told the board Saturday. “Kicking doors, smashing windows, flooding cells, … yelling and screaming. “Purely and simply, health and safety is at risk. … Tempers flare easily.” Inmates have been acting out in frustration, since few have been allowed out of their cells, meal delivery has been interrupted and nurses are only delivering “life and death” medications, Tholenaer said. Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...#ixzz2RgyGmv00

My Ride
    del Sol

Good for them sticking together!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I seem to recall them refusing to go to work when this was supposed to open up, even after their issues were addressed. If that's how they "brought up concerns", then fuck them.

Other jails walking out when they are not even remotely affected is ridiculous, that is the kind of thing that makes all unions look bad.

As for bringing up safety issues, no one should ever be fired or negatively impacted if the concerns are brought up in the correct manner. I know our company encourages people to report possible safety issues, so far as to have weekly draws for gift cards for the people who did. Without going into specifics, I have seem some situations that could have resulted in serious injury or death averted because people report and escalate stuff.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by DEATH2000

Their is. It WAS NOT the union that fired these two employees. They were fired by the Solicitor General, their employer. They finally had enough of the Government refusing to acknowledge their concerns.

Of course the union didn't fire them. They were the union reps for all the other union employees. Their employer needs just cause to fire somebody, but the union doesn't care if there was just cause and cries like a 2 yr old to get their way. A union rep is exactly like a pimp and the other members are the hoes.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Of course the union didn't fire them. They were the union reps for all the other union employees. Their employer needs just cause to fire somebody, but the union doesn't care if there was just cause and cries like a 2 yr old to get their way. A union rep is exactly like a pimp and the other members are the hoes.

Jesus. You know a wildcat stike means that the Union never authorized the strike right?

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by Maybelater

Jesus. You know a wildcat stike means that the Union never authorized the strike right?
    They would if it wasn't illegal.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Under both provincial and federal jurisdiction you have a legal right to refuse unsafe work

Provincial:

Alberta
    Legislation
    Occupational Health and Safety Act – Section 35
    When to refuse
    When an imminent danger (a danger that is not normal for the occupation or activity) exists for you or another worker, caused by a tool, appliance, equipment or work procedure at the worksite.
    How to refuse unsafe work
    When an imminent danger exists at your worksite, you can refuse work.
    Notify your employer at the worksite, and state your reason for refusal.
    The employer must investigate and take action to eliminate the danger. There must be a written record of your notification, the investigation, and action taken. A copy of the report must be provided to you.
    If, in your opinion, a danger still exists, you can file a complaint with a government Occupational Health and Safety Officer.
    The officer shall investigate the complaint, and document actions taken in a written report. A copy of the report must be provided to you.
    If you are not satisfied with the officer’s report, you may appeal the report within 30 days, and request a review by the Occupational Health and Safety Council.
    Legal protection
    No discipline or dismissal for complying with the legislation: Occupational Health and Safety Act – Section 36.
    The federal regulation is a bit more complicated, but essentially states the same.

Bottom line is, if there is legitimate safety concerns, they have a right to refuse work. Them being deemed as an essential service is a bit of an issue, and I don't claim to understand the legalities of what it would entail.

If anyone wants to read the federal code it's here:
    http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hr...-cct01-eng.asp

They would if it wasn't illegal.
    You'd be surprised. They know they're going to get legislated back in a matter of a couple hours if it's a "legal" strike, and as soon as you're legislated back you've lost a major bargaining chip, and in the end you're going to end up sat in front of a mediator that may or may not agree with your opinion, and his/her decision is the end of the argument.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 04-27-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

This is the exact reason for this statement.

Originally posted by syritis
    as much as i hate the AUPE,
    however both union shops i've worked at, no one wanted the union rep position, as this individual puts a target on their back. The company will use ANY excuse to fire this person as if once this person is gone the union will just disappear. I won't work in a union shop again just to avoid this level of high school drama.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

As of 7pm today Correctional Officers have recieved an Injunction from the Alberta Labour Relations Board to return to work immediately. They are currently defying this order and remaining on the picket line.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

What are these "safety issues" that they are referring to?

I hear about "structural" issues but nothing specific has been brought up

(always two sides to every story)

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Their issues seem to revolve around the "pod" design if the new center. It puts guards in closer proximity to the prisoners, which they feel will lead to an increase in danger. They would all carry a panic button that gets them sub 30 second backup. A lot of US prisons use the same design.

Basically you have a level or two of cells arranged around a central area where the prisoners can mingle, have seating areas, activities etc.. There are a few guards that supervise each "pod" from a control point on the floor, I believe there is also a more heavily secured post off to the side that would be the way into the unit for guards and to control inter pod movements. Supposed to cut down on amount of security needed and allows more direct interaction between guards and inmates.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    This and that.

They provided us with a tour of the new ERC before it officially opened. The pod design along with everything else was meant to be extra secure and on par with what the research showed is the best way to build a facility like this compared to the Brownlee Remand Centre. Kinda surprised at this. It's going to be a mess in court for me on Monday if they don't sort this out right away. I guess none of the clients will be brought to their court date.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-27-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast