Quantcast
Calling all dog owners, need advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calling all dog owners, need advice

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Default Calling all dog owners, need advice

Hey guys, I have a little issue with my 13 month old labrador and was hoping to get some advice from those who might been through this situation before. Basically, my dog will eat ANYTHING that he can get his mouth on, ie)kleenex, paper towel, cardboard, plastic bottles, etc. I've tried to use the solutions that I've found online(discipline him when he's caught in the act, tell him no, get him toys, etc), but nothing has worked. I usually try to keep everything dog-proof but he still ends up with something in his mouth once in a while. The only improvement he's made is that he'll let go of whatever is in his mouth, only after I've cornered or caught him haha. My only concern is that one day he'll hurt himself by chewing/eating something he wasn't supposed to, and I really wouldn't want that to happen. If any other dog owners have been through this sort of ordeal and have any solutions that have worked for them, I would really appreciate it if you could share them, thanks.

Do you give him enough exercise? Dogs will act out or be more rowdy/playful if you don't walk him enough/take him to the dog park.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

My dog did this too then just stopped one day I thought it was just teething

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    Do you give him enough exercise? Dogs will act out or be more rowdy/playful if you don't walk him enough/take him to the dog park.
    Labs have alot of energy.

Pretty normal with labs, you just got get through that phase.
    Kongs with peanut butter and/or frozen treats inside will help.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Default Re: Calling all dog owners, need advice

Originally posted by Tej.S
    Hey guys, I have a little issue with my 13 month old labrador and was hoping to get some advice from those who might been through this situation before. Basically, my dog will eat ANYTHING that he can get his mouth on, ie)kleenex, paper towel, cardboard, plastic bottles, etc. I've tried to use the solutions that I've found online(discipline him when he's caught in the act, tell him no, get him toys, etc), but nothing has worked. I usually try to keep everything dog-proof but he still ends up with something in his mouth once in a while. The only improvement he's made is that he'll let go of whatever is in his mouth, only after I've cornered or caught him haha. My only concern is that one day he'll hurt himself by chewing/eating something he wasn't supposed to, and I really wouldn't want that to happen. If any other dog owners have been through this sort of ordeal and have any solutions that have worked for them, I would really appreciate it if you could share them, thanks.
    If he isn't getting between 1-2 hours of good exercise a day you have a dog with FAR to much energy.

Look into dog daycares for him and that will take care of most of his energy.

Watch out about his diet too certain dog foods can make dogs act retarded.

I have a Siberian and he was full of energy. One thing we did was take him to the off leash park once a day for like an hour and let him go run around and got him tired out that way. All dogs with high energy need their walk or run daily. Another thing like phreezee said is to probably get him a kong or a big bone from the pet store and let him have to chew it. Another thing that will keep him busy are these rubber ball things that have many holes in them and just put a few milk bones or something inside which lets him play and develop his brain as he tries to figure a way to get the treats out of the ball.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by phreezee
    Pretty normal with labs, you just got get through that phase.
    Kongs with peanut butter and/or frozen treats inside will help.

Labs need a lot of exercise. Tire him out and give him some good toys and he should be good to go if you've been putting the time in to train him.

My yellow lab still went through the eating everything phase as a puppy, but grew out of it pretty fast. And yes he ate anything he could fit in his mouth. Silly guy.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

I do take him for fairly long walks 2-3 times a day, but I guess that isn't enough. I think it's time to invest in some roller blades since I don't wanna run haha. Does anyone know if you can buy kongs from Pisces or pet land? He's very well trained and knows a crap load of commands, but he just has a slight destructive side to him lol. I'll try everything you guys have advised, thanks everyone! I really appreciate it

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Tej.S
    I do take him for fairly long walks 2-3 times a day, but I guess that isn't enough. I think it's time to invest in some roller blades since I don't wanna run haha. Does anyone know if you can buy kongs from Pisces or pet land? He's very well trained and knows a crap load of commands, but he just has a slight destructive side to him lol. I'll try everything you guys have advised, thanks everyone! I really appreciate it
    EVERYONE sells Kongs. They aren't cheap for the bigger and tougher ones but you'll be glad you did.

You say 2-3 times a day. How long do you go out for? If its less than an hour its not enough.

Labs and Border Collies are two dogs with a insane amount of energy that even when you think they are tired they aren't.

My Ride
    K20A2

if you have a treadmill put him on it or you might have to do daily walks as mine was destructive as well but after walk and runs he is too tire to be biting or chewing anything
    Built with Chopsticks

Make things he CAN chew on more accessible. Go buy $100 worth of bones, toys, stuffed animals, and anything else he might like to chew on from the pet store. Put them everywhere.

If he is going to chew shit, might as well be his. He will grow out of it eventually but in the mean time, its cheaper than your $450 harmony remote, $200 sunglasses, $1000 custom fit blinds, $150 shoes, a $200 kitchen table chair, or numerous pairs of the GF's expensive lasenza panties.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Originally posted by firebane
    EVERYONE sells Kongs. They aren't cheap for the bigger and tougher ones but you'll be glad you did.

You say 2-3 times a day. How long do you go out for? If its less than an hour its not enough.

Labs and Border Collies are two dogs with a insane amount of energy that even when you think they are tired they aren't.
    It's usually 30 minutes. He seems tired at the end of it, but I guess not.

Originally posted by 95EG6P
    if you have a treadmill put him on it or you might have to do daily walks as mine was destructive as well but after walk and runs he is too tire to be biting or chewing anything
    I tried to get him used to the treadmill, but he was too fearful and clumsy to adapt lol. Plus, I find it better to let him get fresh air instead :p

Originally posted by spike98
    Make things he CAN chew on more accessible. Go buy $100 worth of bones, toys, stuffed animals, and anything else he might like to chew on from the pet store. Put them everywhere.

If he is going to chew shit, might as well be his. He will grow out of it eventually but in the mean time, its cheaper than your $450 harmony remote, $200 sunglasses, $1000 custom fit blinds, $150 shoes, a $200 kitchen table chair, or numerous pairs of the GF's expensive lasenza panties.
    Haha, he's not THAT destructive. He'll chew on slippers and small things, but he won't destroy shoes or chairs or anything. I got him a really big bone from Pet Planet once(the one covered in meat or w.e), and he started snarling when someone tried to take it away, and he is NOT food aggressive at all =\ Has anyone ever bought one of those "indestructible" toys? Almost every toy I get for him, he ends up tearing to shreds after a while lol.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

30 minutes for a dog is just getting them warmed up for a medium breed

A relatively new and very tough toy on the market - Bionic with a one time replacement guarantee on most of their products.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    a3

Someone once told me that I would have to put up with my Lab's chewing until he hit about 6....they were right. We went through 2 couches during the first 5 years!

For us - we spent a ton of time with him, made sure he got outside a lot, kept an eye on him when we were home and didn't leave him anything to chew when we were out (either kennel or an empty room). Don't leave anything laying around that you don't want chewed.

Now, at just about 6 years old, he is a DREAM....always very well behaved. It was well worth a few years of chewing - he is such a joy now. Be patient.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by speedog
    A relatively new and very tough toy on the market - Bionic with a one time replacement guarantee on most of their products.
    Interesting, is it really that durable? My boy will destroy anything within minutes lol.

My Ride
    99 Blazer

Also I noticed with my dogs (Boston terrier) 1 hr at the dog park beats any walk. You might be able to save yourself time and get rid of his energy in two 45 min blocks depending how close you are to a big park.

Originally posted by lilmira
    Interesting, is it really that durable? My boy will destroy anything within minutes lol.
    We've had customers in that bought this whose dogs will destroy pretty much anything and it's surviving. Trick is to size the toy appropriately so as to prevent the dog the ability to get the toy into the back of their mouth where all the chewing power is.

Another good toy - those egg shaped balls, buy the big ones for a lab. They'll never be able to get their mouth around them and for a dog that loves playing with bigger balls, they'll be a hoot as the egg shape makes for interesting rolling trajectories.

Also, pick up one of those water bottle toys where a 5-600ml water bottle is used as the stuffing - much cheaper than constantly replacing stuffed toys as one can always find a 5-600ml water bottle.
    Will fuck off, again.

Bionic's guarantee - link.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast