Quantcast
Pho in the NW? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pho in the NW?

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I don't know, slurping noodles out of a soup bowl doesn't sound fine dining to me. Don't know how well this concept will work in the NW.
    There's lots of us white folk up here that have no idea what good pho tastes like, or what it should cost.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Pho Huong Viet up in Ranchlands is by far the best flat out Vietnamese, not just pho, I've had in the NW. Their sate is a touch on the milder side, which is great if you want to try out a sate without roasting your sinuses, but overall I find their broth nicely balanced, and for their bun it's always really nice
    Geek

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Pho Huong Viet up in Ranchlands is by far the best flat out Vietnamese, not just pho, I've had in the NW. Their sate is a touch on the milder side, which is great if you want to try out a sate without roasting your sinuses, but overall I find their broth nicely balanced, and for their bun it's always really nice
    I went there when it first opened - i vowed to never go there again because it sucked.

Maybe ill give it another shot since a lot of you seem to like it

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by K3RMiTdot

I went there when it first opened - i vowed to never go there again because it sucked.

Maybe ill give it another shot since a lot of you seem to like it
    Food is fine. Service sucks. Always busy, not worth the wait.

For all the white people on here, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, try pho anh just off center and 16th (adjacent to the shoppers or tim's there, can't remember which one). There's about 4 different pho places all within a couple blocks of each other in the area but pho anh is the best.

It's dingy looking so you know it's good haha

My Ride
    06 F-150

Food is fine. Service sucks. Always busy, not worth the wait.
    I always do takeout and regardless how busy they are it's never more than 15 minutes. Always pleased with the service myself.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Food is fine. Service sucks.
    I didn't find it that bad. Are you a white guy who's expecting to see the server every 3 minutes asking how you're food is? You'll NEVER find that at ANY Asian restaurant. Ever.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Saigon Red Sky right off of Beddington Blvd is good. Guess it's technically considered N.E., but just a block away from center street.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

There's also a newer one across from the Boston Pizza in Creekside, Symons Valley.... Vietnam Palace. I'd rate it about 3.5 white guy stars.

I'm hesitant to go back though. The last time we went, they had given us a teapot and tea bag that had clearly been used already. Guess it could have been worse, but what else are they missing....

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Siagon Red Sky food was pretty good. Seating is tight and the chairs are for little people.

Mixed, not so great reviews on Vietnam Palace. First time there I wasn't impressed. The 2nd time I enjoyed the soup I had.

Has anyone tried Pho Sate in Nolan Hill? looks like they just opened up not too long ago.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by jwslam

I didn't find it that bad. Are you a white guy who's expecting to see the server every 3 minutes asking how you're food is? You'll NEVER find that at ANY Asian restaurant. Ever.
    I always got served by a guy who doesn't want to be there and yell at you. I guess it's just my luck then.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    There's also a newer one across from the Boston Pizza in Creekside, Symons Valley.... Vietnam Palace. I'd rate it about 3.5 white guy stars.

I'm hesitant to go back though. The last time we went, they had given us a teapot and tea bag that had clearly been used already. Guess it could have been worse, but what else are they missing....
    Been there once, didn't like their soup. But good deal back when they are new, like 3 bowls and get 1 free or something like that.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Pho Anh in Crowfoot/Arbour Lake is the ONLY place I go to now. They use NO MSG which is the main reason why I go. Of course the pho is amazing as well due to the fact. I've been to all the places in the NW, the one in Ranchlands is brutal, only a little better than Kim Lan.

For those who aren't into eating a ton of MSG, check this place out.

https://www.zomato.com/calgary/pho-anh-calgary

My Ride
    NC1

No MSG pho is just a bad time. No thanks.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    TDi

No MSG in Pho? no wayyyy
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    S14|TB1

No MSG in Pho, blasphemy, while it can be done (Rice for King on Macleod for example), I'll stick to MSG in my pho personally.

Originally posted by ROBOCOP
    They use NO MSG which is the main reason why I go.
    For those who aren't into eating a ton of MSG, check this place out.

The Source Of The Myth

In 1968, a scientist wrote to the New England Journal of Medicine saying that he'd experienced something he decided to call "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" after chowing down on Chinese food. He claimed he'd experienced "a numbness at the back of the neck that radiates to the arms and back," along with "general weakness and palpitation."

At the time, they decided to place the blame on the flavor additive.

But research over the next few decades didn't support the claim that a normal dose of MSG could cause the mysterious "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" effects.

Instead, as the ACS says, the scientific consensus from that research is that "MSG can temporarily affect a select few when consumed in huge quantities on an empty stomach, but it's perfectly safe for the vast majority of people."

So, a normal person may get temporary symptoms if they eat huge quantities of the stuff without any other other food. But no normal person would consume MSG in that way — it would make as much sense as eating tablespoons of salt, and cause the same reaction.

As for glutamate itself — as the ACS explains, it's one of the 20 amino acids that make up all naturally occurring proteins. Nothing to fear, here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-ms...-to-eat-2014-8

Originally posted by jwslam
    Bump.

Saw this. Anyone try it yet?
    http://calgaryherald.com/life/food/j...g-to-northwest

I'm betting it's the exact same spot as where Taste of Saigon used to be (now moved to Royal Oak to continue serving their crap)

It is in the same strip mall near Esso. I went over the weekend and it was amongst the worst dining experiences I have had. We arrived at 1:00PM hoping that he lunch rush would be over, but we ended up waiting till 2:40PM before our food arrived. The orders were for a beef pho soup and a combination bun. The food was no better than Pho Huong Pasteur, not bad by any means but no where near good enough to justify the wait. The restaurant only had 4 other tables so there was really no excuse for it to take that long. One couple walked out somewhere around the 1 hour mark.

My Ride
    NC1

MSG is so bad but I will just dump a shit tonne of salt and soy sauce into my food and on top of that give me an XL Coke.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by sneek

It is in the same strip mall near Esso. I went over the weekend and it was amongst the worst dining experiences I have had. We arrived at 1:00PM hoping that he lunch rush would be over, but we ended up waiting till 2:40PM before our food arrived. The orders were for a beef pho soup and a combination bun. The food was no better than Pho Huong Pasteur, not bad by any means but no where near good enough to justify the wait. The restaurant only had 4 other tables so there was really no excuse for it to take that long. One couple walked out somewhere around the 1 hour mark.
    I can't believe you waited 100 minutes, I know I would've been out of there well before the hour mark. 100 minutes for pho soup and combo buns, wow, you are patient.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by speedog

I can't believe you waited 100 minutes, I know I would've been out of there well before the hour mark. 100 minutes for pho soup and combo buns, wow, you are patient.
    I can't even remember the last time I waited over an hour for food to arrive.

Oh wait, just did. Fucking Oshii

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast