Quantcast
Seeking witness: NB Deerfoot/Beddington (video inside) - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking witness: NB Deerfoot/Beddington (video inside)

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

I was told by JP, it is enforced (he wouldn't cut me any slack).

Later this is what I found out from google....Based on the Traffic Safety Act, Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation (304/2002), Section 2 (Driving at appropriate speed) and Section 57 (Must obey traffic control device), motorists are responsible for obeying Ramp Advisory Speed warning signs and adjusting their speed for the roadway curvature based on speed information given on a sign

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...tSpeedSign.pdf

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Although the BMW's following distance was alright immediately pre-crash she was already closing on the accord when the accord braked, that is where it all went wrong for her, if you are traveling faster than the car ahead of you then you will need more distance than them to stop. Sure leaving even 2 seconds in this city is asking to get cut off, but closing on the vehicle ahead without enough space ahead of you leads to situations like this.

As for the accord driver, it looks like he wasn't paying attention and massively overbraked as a result. He found himself suddenly closing on the car ahead of him and panicked. It doesn't look malicious to me. Sure he's an idiot but being stupid is not the same as forcing a collision for personal gain.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Originally posted by Feruk
    On a lighter note, next time you two are doing whatever it is that consenting adults do and she yells "oh my god", you'll know you stopped too early.

I guess reality is we'll all have to wait and see how this plays out. In my opinion, he's seen the camera. He's reacted oddly IMO to the spotting of the camera. He's seen the video - if his intent were malicious, it's very likely his intent has changed and he is very very unlikely to proceed with anything here. So the camera did it's job.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by Zero102
    Although the BMW's following distance was alright immediately pre-crash she was already closing on the accord when the accord braked, that is where it all went wrong for her, if you are traveling faster than the car ahead of you then you will need more distance than them to stop. Sure leaving even 2 seconds in this city is asking to get cut off, but closing on the vehicle ahead without enough space ahead of you leads to situations like this.

As for the accord driver, it looks like he wasn't paying attention and massively overbraked as a result. He found himself suddenly closing on the car ahead of him and panicked. It doesn't look malicious to me. Sure he's an idiot but being stupid is not the same as forcing a collision for personal gain.
    AGAIN, no.

if this is actually what happened, this guy should have his drivers license revoked on the spot. overbraked? overbraking is going from 80kph to 50kph because something startled you. coming to a complete stop on a freeway exit for no reason is malicious.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

I agree strongly with SOAB. Who comes to a total stop?? Even in a panic braking scenario (where there actually is a reason to stop that you didn't notice in a timely fashion) you're going to nail the brakes and you're only going to stop if the vehicle in front of you has stopped. You're going to let off the brakes as soon as you realize you are not in any danger...

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Thing is, when there is no traffic lights and no obvious traffic, you just never expect to come to a full stop driving especially on highway. Even with a 4 sec distance that she had, you need even greater reaction time to avoid this. Driving in heavy traffic you expect it but driving on a light traffic high way, it really catches you off-gaurd.

Accord has tinted windows, stops with clearly nothing in front, and leather jacket with a smurk on his face. So obviously a scam artist douche.

I really hope insurance at least does 50/50 or blames Accord driver cause that video shows alot. Such bs and this is why every russian driver has a dash cam.

My Ride
    oooo

Even if she hammered on her brakes and managed to stop if anyone was behind her they would have piled into both cars.

Anytime you hammer on the brakes that hard you should be expecting to get smoked.

I have big brake kit on my A4 and whenever I've had to hammer on the brakes I always pucker my ass and wait for someone to slam into my trunk.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Unless he looked in the rearview mirror and then

My Ride
    2005 F350

here is a little example from what i've seen before:

driving southbound on deerfoot in the left lane just past peigan trail. i was following a jeep cherokee and we were both doing 110-120kph. the driver of the jeep realized that traffic was almost stopped after the last bend past calf robe bridge and slammed on his brakes.

realizing that he may not stop in time, he swerved to the middle lane, over-corrected and spun a complete 360. when he ended up facing the right direction, he was still moving. he did not stop. even when he thought that he was gonna die, he didn't come to a complete stop.

he pulled over to the right side of the road and stopped there. he then proceeded to clean out the giant nugget of shit he left in his pants.

my point is that people don't just come to a complete stop on a freeway, even in an emergency, unless absolutely required. this honda driver did not need to stop completely.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Originally posted by rage2
    For all those picking on her driving skills, I think you guys are fucking nuts. I don't think experience would've made much of a difference. You would need well above average reaction time to have avoided that crash. There was a <1s delay between the Honda on full brakes to when she started braking. After that, it was <1s again when she crashed. There was a van in the other lane, and yes, no cars behind the van, but there would not have been enough time for anyone to have checked to see if it's clear and swerve to avoid the crash. I'll bet most of the forum members here would've crashed in the same scenario.

Not braking enough? She had her brakes full on. You can hear the ABS chirp when she went over the expansion joint. There's no way she could've stopped in time with the Honda braking a full second earlier. She wasn't following too close either, she's following at a safe distance, look at all the other cars in front, they're all gapped the same at around 1s. The 2 second rule is retarded, and it's not even law. That's 10 car lengths at 80km/h (44.4m to be exact). I'd love to have the entire city driving the 2 second rule, I'd drive through all the gaps lol. She wasn't speeding either, the speed limit on the turnoff is technically 100km/h (same as deerfoot) and she was travelling at the same speed as the rest of traffic.

The only problem is, I don't think we have a law that makes slamming on the brakes for no reason illegal, so what the Honda did was technically legal in Alberta, which is stupid, which also means she's at fault. I know in some states and overseas there's laws for that, but I'm pretty sure we don't. The laws are put into place to stop swoop and squat car crash scams. The fact that the cop couldn't give the Honda driver a ticket suggests that it's legal here.
    Actually, the speed limit is 60kph for that section (Google Maps streetview link) although no one I know does 60kph on that ramp - speed doesn't go to 80kph until one is west of the bridge.

Never the less, it's each driver's accounting of the event which will obviously be different and I suspect the BMW driver will come up with the short end of the stick.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1989 JDM SW20, 2013 Civic LX 5Spd

If they prove he was testing and driving or distracted in some other fashion couldn't they get him with a wreck less driving that caused an accident ticket?

Thats probably what the officer is going for

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by speedog

Actually, the speed limit is 60kph for that section (Google Maps streetview link) although no one I know does 60kph on that ramp - speed doesn't go to 80kph until one is west of the bridge.

That's not the speed limit, that's the recommended speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by rage2
    I'd love for an Insurance Guru to chime in on his thoughts. I dunno why CPS is suggesting to see if Honda driver was texting, because really, that would just punish him a little with a distracted driver ticket. It still doesn't change who's at fault for the accident AFAIK.
    I actually just heard about this thread but haven't had time to read through it and I'm heading out of town tonight until Wednesday. I'll read & respond if a have a chance. Sorry boss.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Okay, it's an advisory speed for that ramp - maybe one of our CPS members could chime in on this with respect to what it would mean if one was travelling above this speed limit and got into an accident on this ramp. In the mean time, here's more info on these signs - link.
    Last edited by speedog; 05-03-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1968.htm

If "recommended" is the same as mandatory in a legal sense, then what do I know. Why don't they make them all white with the word "limit" on it?

My Ride
    oooo

Unavoidable IMO. My wife piled up her car because some guy reading a map decided to turn off of 11th street into Standen's at the last second. The car in front of her was a SRT4 with big brakes and he stopped inches behind the car in front of him.

The brakes on a big 5 series aren't the same as a SRT4 and despite leaving lots of room, with winter tires on a dry road there was no hope and she piled up into the back of the Neon.

The driver of the Neon was surprised he was able to stop in time. The guy in front got out, and in very poor English said something about "I try get job here" and then just went to his interview. CPS said that my wife was at fault and that was that.

lilmira sorry about your gf's car. Looks like she really takes pride in it. Not a big fan of 3's but that is one of the cleanest ones I've seen and definitely not something you would expect to see a "chick" driving, most people would assume she borrowed her boyfriends car.

Hopefully the damages aren't too bad, but from the looks of it it's easily 5k. Time to call Loc @ Cosmos and beg him to take a BMW in (not as easy as it sounds).
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Whoa hold on, I did not have sex with that woman nor saw her before.

It is little dragon's. i dont want him banging on my front door lol. I'm just curious of how this will turn out just like most people here.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That's the recommended speed for those who drive modern cars around corners like model t's with wagon wheels

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by lilmira
    Whoa hold on, I did not have sex with that woman nor saw her before.

It is little dragon's. i dont want him banging on my front door lol. I'm just curious of how this will turn out just like most people here.
    hahaha username fail.... expect a pm from little dragon. let's hope little dragon means he's 5'2" and not a member of a gang.
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast