Quantcast
I need to buy suits - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need to buy suits

My Ride
    Car

Default I need to buy suits

So I just got an offer for my dream job, which includes wearing suits every day. I only own one suit currently so obviously have to get at least 2(?) more, probably a good time to grab a new pair of shoes too, maybe.

So what kind of options do I have? I'll probably end up with a moores shopping trip, but they don't have any good deals on right now that I can find. But I've also heard places like Harry Rosen offer interest free payment plans on their suits, anybody have any details on this? I'd happily spend say $200/month for a while to get 2 good suits than $600 at once for a couple cheapo's.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Payments on suits seems crazy to me. I would just look at the option of a lower priced suit then bring it to a taylor shop until you see the need to drop $1000 + on a suit. There are also custom suit taylors that come into town once and a while. You can buy shirts, pants, jackets that rival designer options.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Skip moores / tip top. Their suits are the old style "baggy" look.

IMO slim fits are way better looking. Go try out Banana Republic (subscribe to email list and wait til they have a sale which is pretty much at least once a week), or even mexx for something a bit cheaper but decent.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Man... wearing a suit every day... What hellish torture lol

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

^^^ You got that right...

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Don't go to mores/tip-top unless you want 80's styles suits as someone else said.

Banana republic has decent stuff, get one or two there. Also check out Indochino.com, you'll need your measurements (get a professional to measure you) and check them out. I've bought three suits from them and they are great.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    Man... wearing a suit every day... What hellish torture lol
    Wore lululemons all the time on internship...it was beautiful.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Payments on suits seems crazy to me. I would just look at the option of a lower priced suit then bring it to a tailor shop until you see the need to drop $1000 + on a suit. There are also custom suit taylors that come into town once and a while. You can buy shirts, pants, jackets that rival designer options.
    I would only suggest going "off the rack and minor tailoring to make perfect" route if you only actually need minor tailoring. It's not worth the effort or the cost if you need to, for example, completely reconstruct the shoulders and body shape of the jacket...but easily worth if if you need sleeve length and to remove minor neck-roll.
    Traveling tailors are a solid option (a few people I work with get garments exclusively from them), but I guess that's only useful if you have several months until you start.
    Indochino has been mentioned several times on beyond and some people have had decent experiences. I think the turn around is pretty quick (within a month or so?) so that's another option, if you know your measurements.

Sabad a good suggestion if you need something soon: hit somewhere a little more modern and get someting that's more or less well fitted and decent looking, but not $1000+. That should last you several months while you explore other options.
    If you feel the need for several $1000+ suits and the payments really are intrest free...why not?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Car

Yeah, I really don't like moore's selection - terrible suits IMO. Forgot all about banana republic! Aren't their sales generally excluding suits?

Also what are prices/styles like at o'connors? I've never been but its just down the street so might be worth checking out.

I've got indochino shirts and was very unimpressed, so I might experiment with a suit down the road, but not yet.

I can't remember who mentioned the interest free thing, but it was on this forum maybe 6 months ago.

My Ride
    Car

Just tried on some BR suits - they fit great except the arm holes are too big, which makes me look like a flying squirrel - is this something a tailor can fix for a decent price?

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

I like my boss suits. Look good, nice fabrics. Off the rack with adjustments at rosen downtown

My Ride
    Depends on the day

The Bay does have a decent selection as well.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Hugo Boss Outlet store in Cross Iron Mills...usually 40% off regular price (Heads up as they are still around $450 a piece)

I like my Brooks Brothers suit, and wear it over a bunch of other ones I own, some which has only been worn once. Lesson (expensvely) learned: never cheap out on a suit, cause you will soon be able to afford a better one and will never wear the cheap ones again.

Also, if you're working somewhere where everyone suits up every day then your cheap suit might stick out like a sore thumb.

What kind of a gig did you end up landing? Congrats bud!

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Try going to Firoz on 17th ave sw. They have some sort of promotion going on where they sell canadian wool suits for $200, by far the best bang for your buck and much higher quality then Banana Republic or Mexx.

Tons of colors and fits. The selection of shirts and ties is great too. If you`re trying to budget then maybe buy those elsewhere though, many of the ties are the same price as a full suit.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

What about a sports jacket and pants.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Moores and Tip top are utter and total crap.

Mexx, Hugo Boss and Banana Repubic aren't much better.

James and Dickson, O Connors and Supreme Mens Wear are all good places to start.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Depending on what your build is, Express has suiting at a pretty good price. They have a couple different cuts of shirts and pants, so you can choose based on your preferences.

They usually have sales going on all the time for dress shirts. Their coupons and other sales can add up to some serious discounts, too, if you join their mailing list.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Default Re: I need to buy suits

Originally posted by woodywoodford
    So I just got an offer for my dream job, which includes wearing suits every day. I only own one suit currently so obviously have to get at least 2(?) more, probably a good time to grab a new pair of shoes too, maybe.

So what kind of options do I have? I'll probably end up with a moores shopping trip, but they don't have any good deals on right now that I can find. But I've also heard places like Harry Rosen offer interest free payment plans on their suits, anybody have any details on this? I'd happily spend say $200/month for a while to get 2 good suits than $600 at once for a couple cheapo's.
    I'm a big indochino fan. I have suits from Zegna, Boss, Burberry, Brooks and I always reach for my Indochino suits first. The fit is just phenomenal, the cuts are very modern and I get way more compliments on my IC suits than my others.

Fabric, hmm, its good, not great. Which is all you need unless you have people feeling out your suits all day.

And seems like I am in the minority, but I enjoy wearing a suit everyday.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 05-04-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

i just wait for when banana republic has their 40% off sale event. i've bought 4 suits in the past 1 1/2 yrs just because of that sale. just get it tailored after, though, to ensure proper fit.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    I like my Brooks Brothers suit, and wear it over a bunch of other ones I own, some which has only been worn once. Lesson (expensvely) learned: never cheap out on a suit, cause you will soon be able to afford a better one and will never wear the cheap ones again.

Also, if you're working somewhere where everyone suits up every day then your cheap suit might stick out like a sore thumb.

What kind of a gig did you end up landing? Congrats bud!
    Equity research - didn't expect to get in this quick, but 3 interviews later (one of which was confrontational) and a pop quiz later, must have done something right

The ironic part of this whole thread is that the one suit I own currently is from Moores (Guy Laroche I think), and is actually a much more modern, stylish fit than anything I've seen at BR/Mexx/Etc. But I'm pretty sure it was the only suit in that style in the entire store haha.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast