Quantcast
Opinions/Advice/Recommendations... Building a 6000sqft Steel Building Warehouse - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Opinions/Advice/Recommendations... Building a 6000sqft Steel Building Warehouse

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Default Opinions/Advice/Recommendations... Building a 6000sqft Steel Building Warehouse

We are looking to build a roughly 6000sqft building to be used mainly for product storage for our business. We also want to have a small office, work area and bathroom.

I've helped build a couple of garages, but no idea where to start with something this size. I've been in touch getting quotes/info from all the bigger Canadian companies (Olympia, Norsteel, etc) but can't find any reviews of any companies and really not even sure how to compare side by side quotes. How thick concrete base would I need (warehouse will house pallet racking, forklift and tile/granite among other things).

Even spending a lot of time on google I haven't been able to find hardly any info. Any help on where to start, past experiences? Ideally, I'd like to find some reviews/build threads on a forum I can read through.

Meeting with an architect in about 2 weeks, but I'd prefer to walk in not completely clueless...

My Ride
    something green

Thats a huge building. Which jurisdiction is this in? Maybe consider a pole building instead of steel, when I priced my own building, the steel was 2.5 times the cost of the pole building. Goodon builds a good product, I didn't use Goodon, but I wish I had afterward when I saw their quality compared to my builder.
    http://www.goodon.com/buildings/default.html

For Steel buildings, I have worked on some Ironwood projects and they do a good job.
    The slab thickness will depend on loading and what not, the building engineer will have to spec it on the prints.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I might be bias... but I'd check out a little local company in aldersyde that is using their own product as their head office... can have a building out the door in two weeks, construction time is much quicker than steel too. pretty modular also and the ability to reuse it at another location

Im not sure what the price is like... i feel like its a bit more than steel, but finished cost could be less due to savings on labour?

Sprung Structures

Let me know if you need a welding company . My best friend does these types of projects all the time. PM for info
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

moli.ca

These do everything you are looking for! Probably some of the best machinery in Canada. All in house for what you need as well.

My Ride
    E90

Contact these guys, they should be able to help you out.

http://www.gpweldinganderecting.com/Home

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Should have mentioned that this is not in Calgary, it's being built outside of Regina, SK on our acreage. I appreciate the company suggestions, but really just looking for information on the process at this point.

Numerous google searches haven't turned up much in line with this so was hoping to hear from people who have built any larger structure or know of a good source for info.

Thanks

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

our buildings are shipped worldwide, we rarely put anything up locally. basically all you need to know is where its going, how big you want it, insulated or not and what kind of doors and windows you want

My Ride
    4x4

If it's on a rural farm property - definitely go with a Goodon or DbarD - pole barn is definitely the way to go. Unless your in town - cities don't like the term barn for some reason...

Either of those companies can pretty much walk you through the whole build; it's what they do...

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by ercchry
    I might be bias... but I'd check out a little local company in aldersyde that is using their own product as their head office... can have a building out the door in two weeks, construction time is much quicker than steel too. pretty modular also and the ability to reuse it at another location

Im not sure what the price is like... i feel like its a bit more than steel, but finished cost could be less due to savings on labour?

Sprung Structures

Originally posted by ercchry
    our buildings are shipped worldwide, we rarely put anything up locally. basically all you need to know is where its going, how big you want it, insulated or not and what kind of doors and windows you want
    Referencing Sprung from ercchry's suggestion.

A close friend of mine is a sales rep for them, I can have him contact you if you like and see if that is something that will suit your needs.
    Last edited by brucebanner; 05-06-2013 at 02:39 AM.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Thanks for the suggestions. We're still receiving quotes, but so far around 50k seems to be the average. I'll check out sprung, but looking quickly at their site seemed like they mostly build fabric structures...

I am still trying to find another forum or build thread as I'd like to read from other's experiences and hopefully not make too many mistakes along the way.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Just doing some more reading on Sprung and it's actually quite interesting. Bruce... You've got a pm

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

like i said, our head office is one of our structures. well... 3 structures, main office area in the centre and a wing off each side. one for the aluminum shop and one for the fabric shop

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

I have a few clients that specialize in these, I can definitely forward them your way if you're interested. Shoot me a pm!

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by project240
    Just doing some more reading on Sprung and it's actually quite interesting. Bruce... You've got a pm
    Info passed on, said he'll contact you tomorrow.