Quantcast
The Fishing Thread - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Fishing Thread

Originally posted by Dave P
    Good looking fish No Pulp.

Going pike fishing on Twin Valley tomorrow. Hoping there are a few giants left this late in the season.
    How was the pike fishing?

Originally posted by Skrilla
    I didn't have a tape on me, hence the shoe haha. Shoe measures just over 12" so Id say he was right around 25". Was a hell of a fight, had him by one hook in the side when he got it. Surprised I didn't lose him. Just swung by on my way home. Wasn't expecting to even fish.
    Btw, I hope you immediately released that fish. Otherwise you might not want to tell that story within earshot of a CO. That's a huge no-no and you can face a fine and/or loss of your fishing gear.

For Bow River trout, the most effective way to guarantee large Browns is a tandem rig with San Juan worms and a sinking tip line and absolute MANDATORY a strike indicator.

Originally posted by speedog

How was the pike fishing?
    Terrible.

TVR was way to windy
    Little Bow was way to windy, and the boat launch is fucked
    Pine Coulee was way to windy, but we but the boat in, then the motor died, so we trolled for an hour in whitecaps with no bites.

Terrible day hahah

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by blindsight

I've heard that, good point! I figured if I fish West end, they might be smaller but worth keeping.

A buddy is looking into it for next year I think...said he was going to look into it but I assumed for next year.
    The west end (upstream of the WHD Wier at 17th ave) is shut as of October 1 till end of November for spawning. In addition, you're only allowed to keep one trout, and it has to be under 35 cm (~14"). The Bow is really not a great place to get some dinner.

I suspect you'll see the Bow go 100% Catch and Release within a couple years

For Bow River trout, the most effective way to guarantee large Browns is a tandem rig with San Juan worms and a sinking tip line and absolute MANDATORY a strike indicato
    That sink tip/strike indicator combo are just going to be fighting each other all day long (and do virtually nothing helpful). Floating line with SJWs, and indicator and some weight (unless that's what you meant by sink tip) on the leader will definitely get you the odd fish. I'd disagree that it's the most effective way to get big brown trout on the Bow, but it is probably the easiest way to get into some trout.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 09-21-2016 at 08:04 AM.

My Ride

Originally posted by blindsight
    Looking for a decent spot on the Bow or Elbow. My 40th is coming up and I want to head out fishing. Anyone know of decent spots around Calgary, preferably the west side? I wouldn't mind a couple keepers.

I just bought a 7' ultra-light rod with 10# (2# diameter) braid to tie on fluoro leader. Looking to finesse fish a bit but I'll bring all my tackle just in case.
    I have a pretty much identical setup, I've had a bit of luck trying around the Bearspaw reservoir, but access is hit and miss. Best Bow fishing for me is usually the Mckinnon flats area.

Originally posted by Brent.ff

The west end (upstream of the WHD Wier at 17th ave) is shut as of October 1 till end of November for spawning. In addition, you're only allowed to keep one trout, and it has to be under 35 cm (~14&quot. The Bow is really not a great place to get some dinner.

I suspect you'll see the Bow go 100% Catch and Release within a couple years

That sink tip/strike indicator combo are just going to be fighting each other all day long (and do virtually nothing helpful). Floating line with SJWs, and indicator and some weight (unless that's what you meant by sink tip) on the leader will definitely get you the odd fish. I'd disagree that it's the most effective way to get big brown trout on the Bow, but it is probably the easiest way to get into some trout.
    Yeah I should've said tippet. I was using a weighted SJW for the lead hook. Guide has a split shot on the leader.
    You'd know more than I about the big ones. The setup he had me using was getting browns all day long. Took me quite awhile to get my "mending" down properly and learning to read my strike indicator. Small BC lake fly fishing is so much different than river fly fishing.
    I like my belly boat.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Yeah I should've said tippet. I was using a weighted SJW for the lead hook. Guide has a split shot on the leader.
    You'd know more than I about the big ones. The setup he had me using was getting browns all day long. Took me quite awhile to get my "mending" down properly and learning to read my strike indicator. Small BC lake fly fishing is so much different than river fly fishing.
    I like my belly boat.
    Most of the guides do the worm and bobber down the middle as it's an easy way to get pretty well anyone into fish. For me, it's mind-blowingly boring but i'd rather take 1 fish charging a streamer or eating a dry over a half dozen on nymph.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Anyone gone out ice fishing yet?

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by Sophal
    Anyone gone out ice fishing yet?
    Where's a good place to start? Been looking at doing something like this for awhile now. Would need someone with all the supplies as it'll be my first.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Where's a good place to start? Been looking at doing something like this for awhile now. Would need someone with all the supplies as it'll be my first.
    Around here, my buddy and I have gone to upper and lower Kananaskis, spray lakes and ghost reservoir to name a few. We're not the greatest but still a good time to go out. Shoot me a PM of you wanna tag along.

anyone fished eagle lake or spray lakes lately?
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

Any more ice fishing updates?

Heading up by Rocky for a few days to tour the usual suspects for lakes.

Anything I should know?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Originally posted by chkolny541
    anyone fished eagle lake or spray lakes lately?
    A buddy went out to Eagle on the weekend (Jan 8), said it was pretty slow but did mention peak activity is around 10 am. Also said about 15 inches of ice and people were driving on the lake.

Where is everyone planning on hitting up this summer?

da Bow, there's no need to go anywhere else.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Soldier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any hints on where to try, or what lures to use? I'm spin casting from the shore and I've only had mediocre luck in Fish Creek.

Every stretch of the Bow is good, Fish Creek is probably the most accessible which makes it pretty popular. There's really no single good spot cause the river is always changing due to flow rates and water temperatures. The river is running high at the moment so the best fishing is done close to the bank/shore, look for current seems where different currents join together.

Any lure will work just make sure its not too big so fish can actually grab it, use something you have confidence in. If you don't have a favorite lure use 5 of diamonds, seems to be everyones favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Soldier View Post
    Catch and release only this year.

I need something close to the city I can actually eat, suggestions?? PM if you don't want it public

Quote Originally Posted by NoSup4U View Post
    Catch and release only this year.

I need something close to the city I can actually eat, suggestions?? PM if you don't want it public
    I believe that doesn't apply to pike.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I believe that doesn't apply to pike.
    It definitely applies to pike. it's C&R for all sportfish within the river.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast