Quantcast
The Fishing Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fishing Thread

My Ride
    05 Civic

Default Fishing Thread?

I know some beyonders out there fish! Where do you guys like to go?

I started last year, and am really getting into things this year. Caught a bunch of brookies out of Nicholas Sheran park at the end of April with buzz bombs. Been hitting up the bow around Cranston and Policeman Flats area every couple of nights since I have been back to Calgary, caught a couple medium sized rainbows so far.

Got myself a fly rod this year, so I am working through the process of learning that too, does it ever get frustrating though.

Edit: Adding the link for people interested in getting into fly fishing that I posted below.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-...of-fly-fishing
    Last edited by -relk-; 05-09-2013 at 11:21 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fly fishing is about half the effort if you have a boat to float down the river on. You can generally take the bushes on the banks out of the equation, so no snags.

I fish only a couple times a year, so I don't really know "the good spots" but the bow has lots of fish anywhere near Calgary. Inside the city the tend to be a bit smaller, and downstream a bit bigger, but there are lots even up in bowness.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Fly fishing is about half the effort if you have a boat to float down the river on. You can generally take the bushes on the banks out of the equation, so no snags.
    I have some waders, so I am able to get out in the water to avoid snags, but that doesnt help that much as I can only get the fly about 10 feet in front of me at the moment. I am taking some lessons on the weekend, so I am counting on those to help speed up the learning process.

I was thinking about using an old innertube that my parents have for a float down the river. Was going to find some sort of hard surface for the bottom (seen some guy use insulation foam) so I can stand on it, but I dont know how comforatable that will be in the long run. I am assuming the idea with floats is to cast out your line, then let it float alongside?

Hansons Fly shop in DT Calgary has the best deal for learning to Fly Fish. http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fl...ing-boot-camp/

$200.00 and you get to learn all day at a ranch next to the Bow and once you are done you get to keep the rod, reel and line.

The Bow and other rivers offer a lot of spots to fly fish where you will have lots of room to back cast without getting caught up in the trees and such. I walk and wade 98% of the time and if I'm lucky I'll get to float with a guide. ( floating with a guide is also a great way to learn).
    Also remember you don't need to be standing in the water up to your tits to catch fish. Most of the time the Trout are close to shore feeding so take your time walking up to the water and take a good look before you start to cast.

The idea of floating a river is that you get to cover more water then walking the river. It also give you the chance to drift your fly for a longer period of time through a run. I would stay away from the whole tube idea and maybe look at renting a boat from the UofC or other places first.

A great local fly fish forum www.flyfishcalgary.com

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't do the inner-tube thing. you won't enjoy it.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Check out flyfishcalgary.com i started it about 8 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by darthVWader
    Hansons Fly shop in DT Calgary has the best deal for learning to Fly Fish. http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fl...ing-boot-camp/

$200.00 and you get to learn all day at a ranch next to the Bow and once you are done you get to keep the rod, reel and line.

The Bow and other rivers offer a lot of spots to fly fish where you will have lots of room to back cast without getting caught up in the trees and such. I walk and wade 98% of the time and if I'm lucky I'll get to float with a guide. ( floating with a guide is also a great way to learn).
    Also remember you don't need to be standing in the water up to your tits to catch fish. Most of the time the Trout are close to shore feeding so take your time walking up to the water and take a good look before you start to cast.

The idea of floating a river is that you get to cover more water then walking the river. It also give you the chance to drift your fly for a longer period of time through a run. I would stay away from the whole tube idea and maybe look at renting a boat from the UofC or other places first.

A great local fly fish forum www.flyfishcalgary.com
    I've always wanted to learn to fly fish but been intimidated. That boot camp looks like it might do the trick.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The university also used to have a fly fishing course as well. It was two or three classroom/gym sessions, then one day on the river.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Im doing my lesson through this guy, http://www.nymphing.com/ . Ill update after I take the lesson on Saturday. I am taking it purely for the casting tips, I know most of the knots, have a semi-good idea of what flies to use right now, and how to read the water.

For those interested in getting into fly fishing, these videos are about as good as they get.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-...of-fly-fishing

My Ride
    09 hyundai accent hatch

I do a lot of fly fishing out at the k-lakes always seems to be great. My daughter is just really getting into fishing so I take her to some of the southern lakes where its pretty much a given to catch walleye from shore. A great way to get out and get some fresh air.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

My flyrod habit is worse then my car modding habit...

Check out fish tales my favourite fly shop in Calgary

My Ride
    Hatred

I started Fly'ing a couple years ago. Really enjoy it but I don't get out nearly as much as I should.
    -U

My Ride
    04 EP3'

just started fishing this year. u guys have any recommendations of local spots near calgary? within an hour preferably?

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by petoria
    just started fishing this year. u guys have any recommendations of local spots near calgary? within an hour preferably?
    Pretty much anywhere in the southern part of the city on the bow can be good, not the easiest river to fish though imo.

The highwood out by longview can be good, but parts of the road have been closed due to the flooding. As for lakes, I don't really know...

Originally posted by petoria
    Go to your local fly shop and pick up a copy of Alberta's trout highway by barry mitchell. It's a great book and will point you in the right direction. Also you could pick up his yearly mag Barry Mitchells's alberta fishing guide.

Another option that has been posted above is to join the flyfishcalgary.com forum. Lots of great info.

My Ride
    Has AWD

bumping an old thread, does anybody want a small container of anchors/weights for free? Can take pic if requested. Probably offering them for free to anyone who wants them since I have never been fishing and have zero future plans to do so.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Where are you located I could use some extra gear.

For the fishermen on here, which trout pond to try out on Saturday evening - Winchell (south of Water Valley), Hiller's (NE of Didsbury) or Midway (east of Carstairs)? Will be either spin casting or fly fishing from shore or both and really don't care if we take anything home - am thinking Hiller's first because we've never been there and then off to Midway if Hiller's is dead.

Anyone been to any of these three in the past few weeks?

BTW, 2014 fish stocking report - link.
    Last edited by speedog; 08-27-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    06 F-150

I tried Midway about a month ago. Pretty much was getting a bite on every cast with a lure and powerbait. They just kept stealing the bait though. Lots of little ones I'm assuming. Still was fun though.

Had some luck at Midway last night, didn't keep anything. Went over to Hiller's - no luck there. Tons of blue algae in that lake.

Am catching very nice sized pike right now by Discovery Ridge.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast