Quantcast
The Fishing Thread - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fishing Thread

Figured I would post a couple pics from my latest fishing adventure out at Otter Lake in Missinipe Sask (about 4 hours north of Prince Albert). These were a couple of the better fish, but we caught easily over 100 fish per day each!

39.5" Pike caught and released

23" Walleye caught and consumed

38" Pike caught and released

Last edited by tirebob; 06-12-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Bump...anyone been out fishing lately and caught anything?

i've been planning to go but can't find a good spot for Trout or Walleye that's an hour out.

My Ride
    EG6

Trout are easy to find but if you want to hit the Highwood or other big name rivers get there at 5 am or don't go at all. It got crazy over the last 2 years.

For pike and walleye go check out pine coulee or clear lake...basically every large lake near calgary has pike of some size.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

I don't fly fish...yet....

but I'm wondering if someone can post some good info, maybe with pictures, of what a beginner spincasting and/or fly tackle box would look like for someone in Alberta. I have lots of tackle from the past 20 years, but pretty much no fish caught with the few outings I've had. Getting into it more and one of my daughters is really getting into fishing so I would like to be a little more successful at it. I have spinners, spoons, flies, all kinds of gear but honestly no idea what to use where.

I'm planning on updating my tackle box a bit and put together a tray for my daughter so any beginner help would be appreciated.

Learning how to be a good fly fisherman is like poker. Easy to learn (the basics) but a lifetime to perfect. Unless you want to SERIOUSLY get into being an avid fly fisherman...I would stick to spin cast fishing. It's much easier to catch fish and much cheaper. For an easy fishing trip take your kid(s) down to chain lakes. Hook and worm or some corn and you'll catch rainbows and whitefish all day long.

Yea, no plans to start fly fishing yet. Buddy of mine keeps telling me I should but I like spin casting.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

First time you fight a good fish on a fly rod (properly), you'll never want to spin fish again. Let alone getting a big fish eating a dry..

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    First time you fight a good fish on a fly rod (properly), you'll never want to spin fish again. Let alone getting a big fish eating a dry..
    Completely agree!! Omg the feeling is like night and day. If I want to just get a fish to bring home to eat. ..then it's my spin gear. But if I want the thrill of feeling every little detail and heart stopping fishing then it's my fly gear. But it is not an easy learning curve. And the money...God the money you can spend lol. Reels, lines, flies, gear....easily spend thousands. My wife tried....but now she just likes to spin cast fish.

My Ride
    EG6

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...g=eyJpIjoidCJ9

I will take these all day on the fly over a spin cast, but I think both are very good ways at catching fish in different situations. I have had days when flies don't work but the old red and white is killing.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

If you're gonna get into fly. Take a lesson! The amount of guys I see out there just beating the hell out of the water is pretty astonishing. A lesson or two will shave 5 years off the time input

Country Pleasures is pretty awesome for schools. Kevin is a guy who radiates fishing

Fly Fishin'. I raise you an ocean-going one:
    https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...g=eyJpIjoidCJ9

My Ride
    EG6

Oh snap! Nice fish, I have yet to do a steal head trip. I hooked one while going for shewswap rainbows but it schooled me really quick. I'm still looking for my summer trophy fish from my cottage lake, that one I posted is probably 21" (the net is 19.5" where it is laying), the big ones push 30 but are very picky.

I'm heading out to ottawa for a few weeks so I hope to tag a few nice fish out there.

I tie flies for Hansons down town and they run a very afordable class that comes with a rod real and line. Good half day down at the white farm house by policeman flats and some on the water time. BBQ lunch is included.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by syscal

but I'm wondering if someone can post some good info, maybe with pictures, of what a beginner spincasting and/or fly tackle box would look like for someone in Alberta. I have lots of tackle from the past 20 years, but pretty much no fish caught with the few outings I've had. Getting into it more and one of my daughters is really getting into fishing so I would like to be a little more successful at it. I have spinners, spoons, flies, all kinds of gear but honestly no idea what to use where.

I'm planning on updating my tackle box a bit and put together a tray for my daughter so any beginner help would be appreciated.
    Pike fishing can't go wrong with a good old Red and White stripe or Five of diamond spoon.

Lately though been killing on these even got my first Walleye on one last week in Slave lake.

Feel ultra devious catching pike on the pike bait like this, those cannibals.

Trout fishing however is not my forte with no lack of trying.

Originally posted by syscal

Pike will eat anything, the general rule is the bigger the lure the better. I pretty much exclusively use crank baits when I fish pike/walleye. Popular lures are Len Thompsons spoons, five of diamonds is said to be the best. Large Blue Fox spinners, Any rapala, I use the deep divers and husky jerks. Lots of people love spinner baits to and they work well.

When fishing for trout I use crank baits mainly, every once in awhile ill use small panther martin spinners or Gibbs spoons. Make sure the hooks are small cause trout have small mouths. If you are going with crank baits go with the countdowns. Crank baits are better for the larger trout but it also works on small trout too just need to use smaller sizes. Chironomids are also very productive, they account for like 80%-90% of a trout's diet. I use them on my fly rod but seen lots of people use them with spinning gear.

Maybe take your daughter to the Bow Habitat Station, they offer some classes for kids to get them into fishing.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Effective August 11, 2015 the following waters have been
    closed to all fishing; due to high water temperatures,
    until further notice:
    1. Belly River and tributaries downstream of Secondary Road 800,
    2. Bow River and tributaries from Bearspaw Dam to Bassano Dam,
    3. Elbow River and tributaries below Glenmore Reservoir,
    4. Gorge Creek and tributaries,
    5. Highwood River and tributaries,
    6. Sheep River and tributaries,
    7. St. Mary River and tributaries below St. Mary Reservoir,
    8. Threepoint Creek and tributaries.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Effective August 11, 2015 the following waters have been
    closed to all fishing; due to high water temperatures,
    until further notice:
    1. Belly River and tributaries downstream of Secondary Road 800,
    2. Bow River and tributaries from Bearspaw Dam to Bassano Dam,
    3. Elbow River and tributaries below Glenmore Reservoir,
    4. Gorge Creek and tributaries,
    5. Highwood River and tributaries,
    6. Sheep River and tributaries,
    7. St. Mary River and tributaries below St. Mary Reservoir,
    8. Threepoint Creek and tributaries.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
    Closures are updated. EDIT - NM, not updated...just written differently I guess.

Sheep River from headwaters to Highwood River;
    Highwood River from headwaters to Bow River;
    St. Mary River, downstream of the St. Mary Reservoir and tributaries;
    Belly River, downstream of Secondary Road 800;
    Bow River from Bearspaw Reservoir to the W.H.D. Weir;
    Bow River from W.H.D Weir to the Carseland Weir;
    Bow River from Carseland Weir to Highway 24 bridge;
    Bow River from Highway 24 bridge downstream to Bassano Dam;
    Elbow River from Glenmore Reservoir to the Bow River confluence.
    If I read this right, I can head to Cochrane or further West no problem, just avoid Highwood in K country? For Bow River anyway. Any suggestions on where else to try out West? Looking at Ghost River now as well, I've never been that way.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Correct syscal. And the sheep.

I'd be looking at lakes like Upper K. Suspect everything is going to kind of suck with the current weather.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Did really well this past weekend out in the Haidai Gwaii.

Caught our limits every single day.

Landed a couple 150+lb halibuts that we had to catch and release due to new regulations.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 08-13-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Interesting, why does high water temp close fishing?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Stresses the fish. Warm water holds less oxygen.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Hatred

I believe it also has a lot to do with taking the fish off the hook and holding them above the water in +30°C weather. Above certain temperatures and having them out of the water is very detrimental to their health.
    -U

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast