Quantcast
Adobe switches to subscription model - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adobe switches to subscription model

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    From an editing perspective, PS does everything Lightroom can and more, so I am not sure you need both unless it's just personal preference. ACR comes with Photoshop, and then from there you get better plug in features, layers, etc.

CS6 was $2XX when I got it, maybe they raised the price a bit. Still a good deal at $349 IMO. I won't need to upgrade until they stop supporting my camera, which likely means 3-4+ years, at which time I hope they still have the teacher/student deal going haha. CS6 in the creative cloud is $20/mo which is $240/yr (over $300 CAD at the moment unfortunately!!), so I am way ahead as long as I don't need to upgrade more often than once every 2-3 years.
    I find Lightroom much easier to work with from a library to workflow perspective... although my knowledge of Photoshop is many many versions ago.

Not sure if I'm missing something? Lightroom and Photoshop together are $9.99/mo USD
    https://creative.adobe.com/plans/photography

Photoshop CC is everything CS6 was and more? With faster performance and new features like the Camera Shake reduction filter.

Originally posted by msommers
    It's hard to say for LR5->6 will be improved. I don't notice a big difference between 4 and 5.

I've started trying CS6 for focus stacking and blending. I'll never outgrow it that's for sure.
    I've seen rumours about moving to 64-bit, and maybe hardware acceleration.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

From an editing perspective, PS does everything Lightroom can and more, so I am not sure you need both unless it's just personal preference. ACR comes with Photoshop, and then from there you get better plug in features, layers, etc.
    For any sort of high volume shooter, photoshop alone sucks balls for organization/rating and speed of processing.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Depends. If your work is consistent enough, setting up scripts is a wonderful tool.

Interestingly I didn't know LR wasn't already in 64-bit haha
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Strider

I find Lightroom much easier to work with from a library to workflow perspective... although my knowledge of Photoshop is many many versions ago.

Not sure if I'm missing something? Lightroom and Photoshop together are $9.99/mo USD

Photoshop CC is everything CS6 was and more? With faster performance and new features like the Camera Shake reduction filter.

I've seen rumours about moving to 64-bit, and maybe hardware acceleration.
    I believe the $9.99 Photoshop version is Photoshop Elements. Photoshop as most people know it is $19.99/mo unless something has changed. If the CS6 equivalent is only $9.99 now, that's awesome but I'm not sure that's the case.

Originally posted by blitz

For any sort of high volume shooter, photoshop alone sucks balls for organization/rating and speed of processing.
    I usually load up 30-40 photos at a time into ACR and I find it very quick. Then the next batch, and the next, etc. You can easily apply presets, picture controls, etc. across all the photos or any range of photos. Then you can batch save-as. For organization I just use folders win windows explorer haha, I have always liked that the best. For me personally, it works super well.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I believe the $9.99 Photoshop version is Photoshop Elements. Photoshop as most people know it is $19.99/mo unless something has changed. If the CS6 equivalent is only $9.99 now, that's awesome but I'm not sure that's the case.
    Nope, Lightroom + Photoshop CC for $9.99/month, I've been running it for quite some time.

I usually load up 30-40 photos at a time into ACR and I find it very quick. Then the next batch, and the next, etc. You can easily apply presets, picture controls, etc. across all the photos or any range of photos. Then you can batch save-as. For organization I just use folders win windows explorer haha, I have always liked that the best. For me personally, it works super well.
    You're definitely a low volume shooter so it seems well suited. Someone doing BIF, Airshows, Hockey, etc can burn through a few thousand photos in a single day.

With Lightroom I can import, rate (via numerical, "star rating" and colour), delete rejects, attach keywords in essentially one step. Editing changes are non-destructive so no need to save or duplicate files on your HD.

Nope, Lightroom + Photoshop CC for $9.99/month, I've been running it for quite some time.
    That's awesome, it looks like you're right. My dad just called Adobe to get set up a month ago or so and they signed him up with Lightroom only for $9.99 US/mo and told him Photoshop CC was $19.99 US/mo. He was specifically asking because he wanted Photoshop instead of Lightroom, but went with LR because it was half the price. $9.99/mo for both is actually a great deal IMO, I guess the rep he talked to didn't have a clue.

You're definitely a low volume shooter so it seems well suited. Someone doing BIF, Airshows, Hockey, etc can burn through a few thousand photos in a single day.

With Lightroom I can import, rate (via numerical, "star rating" and colour), delete rejects, attach keywords in essentially one step. Editing changes are non-destructive so no need to save or duplicate files on your HD.
    Instead or rating/rejecting, I use FS Viewer to cull my photos. I can view 4 at a time @ 100% and turf anything that isn't a keeper very quickly. I haven't shot anything that gave me 1000 photos in a day for a while though! I usually come home from vacation with around 400-700 photos these days.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-19-2015 at 10:02 AM.

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

This is the link for the "photography" package. LR and PS for 9.99$/mo.

My Ride
    Hybrid

$9.99/mo for both is actually a great deal IMO
    Good enough to change your mind on subscription vs standalone if you were starting fresh?

I'm still undecided because I like the workflow in Lightroom and would only use Photoshop for 1 in 25 photos (to clone something out or merge bracketed exposures).

I usually come home from a 3 week vacation with about 2500 photos and do the odd birthday party or family Christmas photo shoots throughout the year. If I was making money on my photos, it'd be a no-brainer.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

On closer inspection, it looks like my Dad probably had both PS and LR all along, he just had no idea he could also download PS as part of his package. What was explained to him was he could have LR OR PS Elements for $9.99/mo *OR* Photoshop CC for $19.99/mo. So, he took just Lightroom. I think what happened was the rep he was dealing with wasn't the greatest. Either way, that's good news.

Originally posted by Strider

Good enough to change your mind on subscription vs standalone if you were starting fresh?

I'm still undecided because I like the workflow in Lightroom and would only use Photoshop for 1 in 25 photos (to clone something out or merge bracketed exposures).

I usually come home from a 3 week vacation with about 2500 photos and do the odd birthday party or family Christmas photo shoots throughout the year. If I was making money on my photos, it'd be a no-brainer.
    Probably not, but that is just for me. I actually hate Lightroom (totally personal preference, and my plug-ins works way better in PS with layers), I wouldn't use LR at all, so unless I could get PS CC only for less, I wouldn't bother. Also I have no idea if you need an internet connection to use PS CC, since I sometimes do work offline on my laptop.

If you want to use both programs, I think it's a great deal, and if you upgrade every time a new version of PS comes out whether you need it or not, I think it's a good deal. I imagine it works out very similar in the end.

I will only upgrade Photoshop when it no longer supports the camera I am using at any given time, since it already has more features than I use. I am already well ahead, since CS6 has been out for over 30 months now and I paid about $250. For a new customer though, it seems that crossover point is now 35 months, so it's a bit tougher of a decision. If you think you will need to upgrade sooner than 35 months, CC is a good deal. If you think you will keep it longer and won't use LR, then don't get CC. You can also find cheap standalone LR deals fairly regularly, which if you use it 99% of the time, that's probably what I'd do if I were you - get Lightroom standalone with the teacher/student deal if that's an option and be done with it. Use whatever version of PS you currently have for your blending/cloning.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-19-2015 at 02:25 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

bumping this.

if you guys are subscribed to the Adobe Photography Plan for 9.99 US$, login to the site and see if you can switch it to 9.99 CAD$.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bumping this.

if you guys are subscribed to the Adobe Photography Plan for 9.99 US$, login to the site and see if you can switch it to 9.99 CAD$.
    Yup. Had a blue banner when logged in. Watch for that.

Also got a $6.20 US refund.
    Last edited by firebane; 05-04-2021 at 10:06 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Yup. Had a blue banner when logged in. Watch for that.

Also got a $6.20 US refund.
    yeah forgot about the refund too, pretty good 2-3$ saving per month

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Double meat subs every second month. That's niiiice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Mine still shows 12.99$CAD/month. How do you guys get a 9.99? Or do you need a US account?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Mine still shows 12.99$CAD/month. How do you guys get a 9.99? Or do you need a US account?
    Mine is a 20GB photographer option. As soon as I signed in (adobe account page) I had the option.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Mine is a 20GB photographer option. As soon as I signed in (adobe account page) I had the option.

Weird, same plan but mine shows 12.99

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Weird, same plan but mine shows 12.99

that is weird, maybe chat with their customer support.

I was planning to chat with them to 'cancel' my subscription in case they would offer me 2-3 months free but then saw that the plan was only 10CAD$.

Thanks for the tip!

I have the same issue as pheoxs (only option $12.99 CAD) and I do not have a blue banner offering me the lower price. I chatted with support and they told me I was crazy and that I must have been seeing a USD price. Can someone please provide a screen shot of this deal in CAD?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I have the same issue as pheoxs (only option $12.99 CAD) and I do not have a blue banner offering me the lower price. I chatted with support and they told me I was crazy and that I must have been seeing a USD price. Can someone please provide a screen shot of this deal in CAD?
    So I just logged in and checked and for some reason it went from 9.99 to 12.99

Could have sworn it was 9.99 cad
    Last edited by firebane; 05-04-2021 at 04:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast