Quantcast
Adobe switches to subscription model - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe switches to subscription model

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Adobe switches to subscription model

Fortunately, Lightroom isn't part of Creative Cloud which is what I mostly use anyways.

http://www.iclarified.com/29809/adob...ion-only-model

Adobe Discontinues Standalone Applications, Moves to Subscription Only Model

Adobe has announced that the company is discontinuing its Creative Suite lineup of standalone products and making its new Creative Cloud applications available via subscription only, reports TNW.

This means that you will no longer be able to purchase the latest version of Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc and use it for years to come. Rather customers will need to pay $49.99 a month for access to Adobe's applications. If you cancel your subscription you will no longer have access to the software.

The switch will come in June when Adobe releases new versions of its applications including: Photoshop CC, InDesign CC, Illustrator CC, Dreamweaver CC and Premiere Pro CC.

For those that already have a purchased version of CS 3 or later, your serial number will get you a 40% discount on the first year of subscription. That works out to $29.99/month. Everyone else will need to pay $49.99/month on a one year commitment or $74.99/month with no commitment. Single apps are $19.99/month.

Creative Suite 6 will still be available for purchase; however, it will only be updated to address bugs.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

"To unlock this tool, requires an additional subscription of $4.99 a month" <--- The future
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

probably because like 9 people have bought anything from adobe and 8 million have pirated it

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

aaaaaand cue never upgrading from cs5 :P
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

They should have both subscription and standalone options available, just like MS did with office

Looks like I will be using CS6 forever lol.

If Adobe is trying to combat pirating, imagine how many people are going to look to that now that it's $75/mo. Wow. They should still offer standalone alongside this. Unless you use photoshop to make your living, I can't see many paying $50-$75/mo for it.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Yeah this is pretty gay. I'm still using CS2 but now am thinking of upgrading for content aware scaling and fill which would save me a lot of time resizing photos for canvas wraps.

Paid a couple hundred for CS2 back in 2005 to upgrade from 4.0.

If they had the subscription model back then, I would have paid around $1920 to use it up to this point, JUST for CS2. If I wanted to use the creative suite, $4800.

If I calculate how much I would have spent on a subscription model for PS/Illustrator from when I first started using them, I would have paid $10,200 by now, when in reality I have actually paid about $1600. (Purchased PS4, CS2 upgrade, and Illustrator 7)

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

79.99 is month to month for access to the full Creative Suite
    49.99 is a year contract for access to the full Creative Suite
    19.99 is for single apps.

So if you just want CS6, it's $19.99/month. Doesn't seem bad to me at all, considering a stand alone license is $800 and a $200 upgrade every 18 months or so.

$49.99 a month for the $2400 stand alone Create Suite is also pretty reasonable. Takes 48 months to reach the same amount as buying the suite outright, and you never have to worry about paying for upgrades.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah, I don't think it's too horrible of an idea if you're a regular enough user. Like Ryan pointed out, if you're just using a single application like Photoshop, it's only $20 a month and you never have to upgrade again since new features are pushed to your desktop when they come out. I think having all your settings/preferences synchronized across machines is a pretty great idea.

If you're really cheap, just stock pile all your editing and do it in the one month you pay

I guess this is mostly just bad for people who like to buy every 2nd or 3rd photoshop rather than every single one. I would think that is the vast majority of people though.

I suspect pirating is going to go up A LOT, and then maybe they will bring back standalone options.

For me, the majority of my usage is whenever I come back from a vacation, which is a few times a year. Pretty light usage in between. CS6 should keep me covered for a LONG time though.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    lol that's what the gf said. Lets hope they don't let EA run the subscription servers...

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by DeleriousZ

lol that's what the gf said. Lets hope they don't let EA run the subscription servers...
    Well, on the plus side, it only took a few hours for hackers to figure out how to run Sim City offline.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Hybrid

BUMP - Is everyone still using standalone versions of Lightroom and legacy Photoshop?

$9.99/mo to always have the latest and greatest versions of Lightroom and Photoshop seems like a terrific bargain for a professional, but a bit pricey for an amateur like me who takes 2,500 photos a year (with only about 40% which are keepers)

https://creative.adobe.com/plans

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    If you're really cheap, just stock pile all your editing and do it in the one month you pay
    I might just end up doing this for the month I get back from vacation and 1 month after xmas
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

If Adobe is trying to combat pirating, imagine how many people are going to look to that now that it's $75/mo. Wow. They should still offer standalone alongside this. Unless you use photoshop to make your living, I can't see many paying $50-$75/mo for it.
    We have five licenses at our agency

If Adobe is still offering the heavy discounts to Students/Teachers, that's probably the way to go until there is a feature or compatibility that forces you to upgrade (probably every few years). Most people will always know someone that is either a teacher or student, so it's pretty easy to get, assuming they still offer that.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I bought legit copies of standalone CS6 and LR5 and never want to upgrade lol
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Meh, $9.99/month is cheap for anyone if you need both programs.

If you're a casual shooter chances are you just need lightroom and a stand alone license will be fine. The only thing I break out PS for is for cloning larger shit out.

My Ride
    Hybrid

If Adobe is still offering the heavy discounts to Students/Teachers, that's probably the way to go until there is a feature or compatibility that forces you to upgrade (probably every few years). Most people will always know someone that is either a teacher or student, so it's pretty easy to get, assuming they still offer that.
    I see the student/teacher edition of Lightroom for $79 and Photoshop for $349... total of $428.

$428 vs $120/year means they'd have to come up with a new killer feature in LR and PS every 3.5 years for the license to be worthwhile.

It sounds like Lightroom 6 is coming in June and will be a huge step up from 5... haven't really followed Photoshop developments though
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Originally posted by Strider

I see the student/teacher edition of Lightroom for $79 and Photoshop for $349... total of $428.

$428 vs $120/year means they'd have to come up with a new killer feature in LR and PS every 3.5 years for the license to be worthwhile.

It sounds like Lightroom 6 is coming in June and will be a huge step up from 5... haven't really followed Photoshop developments though
    From an editing perspective, PS does everything Lightroom can and more, so I am not sure you need both unless it's just personal preference. ACR comes with Photoshop, and then from there you get better plug in features, layers, etc.

CS6 was $2XX when I got it, maybe they raised the price a bit. Still a good deal at $349 IMO. I won't need to upgrade until they stop supporting my camera, which likely means 3-4+ years, at which time I hope they still have the teacher/student deal going haha. CS6 in the creative cloud is $20/mo which is $240/yr (over $300 CAD at the moment unfortunately!!), so I am way ahead as long as I don't need to upgrade more often than once every 2-3 years.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-18-2015 at 05:13 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

It's hard to say for LR5->6 will be improved. I don't notice a big difference between 4 and 5.

I've started trying CS6 for focus stacking and blending. I'll never outgrow it that's for sure.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast