Quantcast
Marriage, joint-accounts, and sharing cars - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage, joint-accounts, and sharing cars

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Default Marriage, joint-accounts, and sharing cars

For those of you who are married, or living together with your other half, please feel free to share your current arrangements. Do you all have a joint bank account? With me I am thinking we can still have our separate accounts, but have one joint account where we would put X amount in to start with. Then monthly we can put in x amount. This joint account we would use for expenses that we use together. But when it comes to buying stuff and toys for self and each other we will use $ from our own accounts. Do you see any problem with this set up?

How about vehicles? With not so nice cars we probably don’t care too much. How about your newer, nicer cars? My colleague said his wife banged up the front of his truck a few times trying to park it in their garage. I park my cars (may it be the nice one or my beater) usually far away when I am in public. Places like Walmart and others most people don’t care too much for others’ cars. I don’t see my wife-to-be parking far away or not curbing the wheels though.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

We share all finances except for what we had prior to the relationship. All our money goes into one account where we take money out for our bills. We both know what our budget looks like and act accordingly.

Has been working out pretty well for the last 7 months or so.

She has her own car, I have the Optima/Mustang. She drives the Optima a few times per week, I trust her with it.

My Ride
    NC1

Keep things separate. She drives her car and I drive mine. As for expenses it depends on your income I suppose. Not a big deal who pays for what as long as you two can agree to it. I mean that by no need to nickel and dime everything.

rage2 suggests you put appreciating assets in your name and depreciating assets in her name. That's about it.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

meh, we went down to one vehicle, so we are share the truck.

finances are currently separate but that will probably be changing soon.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We run the three bank account system. All money comes into the joint account, and bills/mortgage etc come out of that account. We each have personal accounts, and we pay ourselves an allowance each month. How we spend out personal money is totally unrestrcited. I spend mine on a trip to Vegas and booze most of the time, no idea what she spends hers on.

It's a bit of a pain to set up, but it prevents the classic argument at a spouse "wasting" money.

As for cars, I mostly drive the pickup, but really, we each drive all the cars. She's a good driver, so I'm not worried, and besides, that's why I have the gold plated insurance, if she cracks it up, we'll get it fixed.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 05-13-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

What's the thought on one party owning a home prior to marriage? Both owning and selling one to consolidate?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-16-2019 at 03:08 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by FraserB
    What's the thought on one party owning a home prior to marriage? Both owning and selling one to consolidate?
    Once you are married, you can't do fuck all with the primary residence without her consent.

Here is a reality that every man will see if they already own a home and the new wife moves in.

It won't be "our home" it will always be "your" (man's) home. You will be selling it sooner or later and buying "our" home.

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Default Re: Marriage, joint-accounts, and sharing cars

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    For those of you who are married, or living together with your other half, please feel free to share your current arrangements. Do you all have a joint bank account? With me I am thinking we can still have our separate accounts, but have one joint account where we would put X amount in to start with. Then monthly we can put in x amount. This joint account we would use for expenses that we use together. But when it comes to buying stuff and toys for self and each other we will use $ from our own accounts. Do you see any problem with this set up?
    This is exactly what we've done for years.

We each get paid into our individual accounts and put $X into the joint account each payday. We've got a handful of ING savings accounts that automatically pull from the joint for things like vacation, emergency and extra mortgage payments. It just keeps things more organized. Most bills, mortgage, insurance, etc all get billed directly to the joint account. Some go on a credit card which then gets paid from the joint.

Whatever's left in our personal accounts is ours to blow on whatever petty shit we choose.

It works for us. I imagine it doesn't work for everybody.

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Default Re: Re: Marriage, joint-accounts, and sharing cars

Originally posted by Mibz
    This is exactly what we've done for years. It works for us. I imagine it doesn't work for everybody.
    +1. This is what the fiance and I do.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

I guess I shouldn't be so paranoid cuz eventually the kids will piss and puke in the car

My Ride
    1989 JDM SW20, 2013 Civic LX 5Spd

My Fiance and I have our own bank accounts. The bills are spread out so that the one of us that makes more handles that much more of the bills. We both have about the same at the end of the day.

As for cars, she has a new Cruze, and I've got a POS Celica that I drive for work, and an Mr2 that the baby doesn't fit in.

So if its just me and her, we take the Mr2. She refuses to drive it, scared to hurt it.

If its the family, we take her Cruze...but I drive. ha

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    I guess I shouldn't be so paranoid cuz eventually the kids will piss and puke in the car
    Yup, and you won't care.

Just clean it up and be on your way.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

No joint accounts, everything completely separate. I try to pay for everything, monthly expenses, vacations, dinners, but she feels bad about it and pays for all of the above with her own money fairly often. I keep telling her that the money she makes, she should save it up for her son, which is what she's doing. She has one of my credit cards but she refuses to use it, she wants to pay for things on her own, keeper quality right there!

She doesn't judge my ridiculous spending habits, she knows I'm responsible enough to spend within my means. Although, she won't let me buy a new TV not because of money, but it's a waste when the current TV works perfectly fine, we rarely use it, and I've got unused TVs sitting in the basement. I want a borderless TV dammit! (posted this detail because kenny and Mibz will be all over this one haha).

As for cars, I pay for my own cars, while she pays for hers. Although she does drive the CLS more often than her B. I could care less if she crashed my car (as long as it's not the BS haha). Cars can be replaced, and that's why we have insurance.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Firstly, let me say that when I entered my current relationship, it was me who had everything and she had literally nothing.

She moved in with me to my place and then we decided to buy a house together. I put a massive down payment down and she... well... didn't put anything into it. And now both of our names are on the house.

I only say these things because in order to have a calm and relaxed financial situation you kinda have to trust her not to try to screw you.

We have separate accounts. She pays the house taxes and buys the food, I pay for utilities and for things when we go out.

She has her own car. When we got together I had a few sports cars but now I've consolidated down to the single CX9 famlymobile. She borrows it 1-2 times a week and I'm stuck driving her Hyundai because it is far easier to transport our baby in the CX9. This has worked out ok so far - even though she's not the best driver in the world and I'll probably come home one day with the front half my SUV missing....

I think how finances are handled changes a ton from couple to couple. If both sides are responsible with their money, a structure is set with the bills, and you both trust each other, there shouldn't really be a problem with a joint account. Our might still be separate, but that isn't because I dont' trust her... it's just worked out so far so thats how it remains.

In my case, we both have similar buying habits and don't spend excessive money so it works. I recently bought a Jeep TJ and asked to make sure it would be ok with her (It was), and she made sure it was ok she take 2g out on our line of credit for a personal matter. So if there are large things which may affect our combined well being, we clear it through each other. It's all working out quite ok actually - which is great, considering how many couples fight about money.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 05-13-2013 at 12:30 PM.

She doesn't judge my ridiculous spending habits, she knows I'm responsible enough to spend within my means. Although, she won't let me buy a new TV not because of money, but it's a waste when the current TV works perfectly fine, we rarely use it, and I've got unused TVs sitting in the basement. I want a borderless TV dammit! (posted this detail because kenny and Mibz will be all over this one haha).
    It's not her judgment that makes us laugh, it's the lengths you go to in an attempt to avoid that judgment.

"Alright, my brother will buy the TV and give it to me as a gift. Then I'll just sneak him some money, that way she can't get mad".

My Ride
    NC1

As long as she remains your loyal, fun, loving, responsible, understanding, caring etc. better half it doesn't really matter. All is good!
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Joint account because we are super lazy to be transferring money around and all that jazz. Everything goes into one account, and all expenses come out of that same account and no one is really responsible for any specific expenses. Way less to think about!

---

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by kenny
    Joint account because we are super lazy to be transferring money around and all that jazz. Everything goes into one account, and all expenses come out of that same account and no one is really responsible for any specific expenses. Way less to think about!

Yup, and if you are cheap asian like me and don't want to pay account fees for more than 1 account!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast