Quantcast
Pathfinder or 4Runner - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pathfinder or 4Runner

My Ride
    2013 BMW 335i

Default Pathfinder or 4Runner

hey beyond,

although winter is already at the back of our minds, I have decided to start looking for a suitable winter beater/utility vehicle for camping etc.

my search has narrowed me down to two possible candidates, a late 90's Nissan Pathfinder and a late 90's Toyota 4runner. They all seem to be in the same price bracket which is roughly $3-4K which meets my budget....

that said, I don't have much knowledge on these types of cars or trucks in general so I was hoping the consensus of beyond could help me decide my purchasing decision!

So far, i'm leaning towards the Toyota for it's bullet proof reliability, I would ideally like to have as little maintenance done to these cars as possible, so what would you guys recommend? Are there any things to watch out for with these models? Thanks guys!

My Ride

4runner all the way. the alternator on the pathfinder sits too low and is prone to getting wet

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

For the 1996 to 2000 era the 4runner wins hands down. The 3.4 is much more reliable than the 3.3 which was dated before it was even released.

A pathfinder with a 3.5 VQ is a blast, they were introduced around 2001 and have much more power and refinements than the 3rd gen 4runner.

3.5 Nissan VQ 2001+ pathy > 3.4 Toyota 5VZ 1996 - 2002 4runner > 3.3 Nissan VG 1996-2000 pathy

I currently have a 3rd gen 4Runner, but I've also owned a 2001 Pathfinder with the VQ35DE. As mentioned previously, the VQ35DE is a fantastic engine. Smooth and powerful. The older Pathfinders are great too, but keep in mind that the engines are interference so you'll want to make sure the timing belt has been changed.

In terms of bang for the buck, the Pathfinder wins hands down. For the same price, you can get a lower mileage and better condition Pathfinder vs a 4Runner. However, there is definitely an allure to owning a Toyota truck. More aftermarket parts and a fantastic community to support it.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

4runners are quite pricier it seems. Go with 2001+ Pathfinder I would say.

My Ride
    AW10

First Gen 1984 4-runners with the 22RE are great but slow.
    Second Gen 1989-1995 4-Runners with the 3.0L V6 (3VZ) had head gasket isuses. Headgaskets would go.

if you want a good condition offroad/winter machine.. Why not import a Second Gen JDM 4 runner (or find one landed)? The Hilux Surf with the ulitmate relibale/fuel efficent 2.4L turbo Diesel engine. Friend has one and it starts in the coldest of witner and acctually has some good low end power.
    Last edited by sidewaysD; 05-16-2013 at 10:21 AM.

My Ride
    R6///R50

I have a 99' Pathy, pre facelift. VG engine.

I love it, it has a slight lift, bigger tires, and some other goodies. It's not the greatest on gas obviously, but I don't drive aggressively and pull decent fuel consumption.

~65$ to fill, 450-500KM

My Ride
    2013 BMW 335i

thanks guys, I was a bit inaccurate with my statement of the 4runners being in the same price bracket, they seem to command a higher premium over the pathfinders when looking on kijiji...

that said the pathfinders seem to be an attractive choice with the pricing and similar configuration as the 4runer, just a question for you guys, what's the engine longetivity of late 90s pathfinders? I'm seeing some in the 250K range for mileage, assuming if they have been cared for moderately how long can I expect the critical components/car in general to last?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I am not an expert in the area, but I've actually heard the late 90's 3.3 is actually extremely robust and will last virtually forever. As mentioned, it's an interference engine so you'd want the timing belt checked/replaced. I've heard *some* instances where the 3.5 has broken down - though with the enormous power difference I imagine it's worth the risk.

The big problem with the 3.3 is that despite poor mileage, it's just gutless as hell. Besides front strut mounts though, the Pathfinder is a great vehicle.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Like everyone has mentioned, for the same money you'll generally get a Pathfinder thats in better condition and lower mileage than a 4runner.

I find the 4runner generally seems to be highly overpriced for slightly better reliability than the Pathfinder.

If you can get a great deal on a 4runner I'd pull the trigger, otherwise snag a Pathfinder.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    R6///R50

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    Like everyone has mentioned, for the same money you'll generally get a Pathfinder thats in better condition and lower mileage than a 4runner.

I find the 4runner generally seems to be highly overpriced for slightly better reliability than the Pathfinder.

If you can get a great deal on a 4runner I'd pull the trigger, otherwise snag a Pathfinder.
    Pretty much my thoughts.

I was in the market a few months ago, and every single 4Runner I came across was rusted to shit, or had 300,000+ km.

I baby my pathfinder to save on fuel costs, and it's definitely not the most powerful vehicle on the road, but I can live with that.

I personally like the 4runner for it's reliability and toughness. I believe there is pretty decent after market support for it as well. Not sure about path finders.

Have you considered the Xterra. I had one for a while and it was quite happy with it.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by sidewaysD
    if you want a good condition offroad/winter machine.. Why not import a Second Gen JDM 4 runner (or find one landed)? The Hilux Surf with the ulitmate relibale/fuel efficent 2.4L turbo Diesel engine. Friend has one and it starts in the coldest of witner and acctually has some good low end power.
    Gross.. I wish the government would step in and no longer allow everyday crappy RHD cars to be imported. And really, 8/10 RHD SUV's I see on the road are in absolute shit condition, and they almost all spew smoke of some sort. Haters gonna hate, and I hate.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    AW10

Originally posted by clem24

Gross.. I wish the government would step in and no longer allow everyday crappy RHD cars to be imported. And really, 8/10 RHD SUV's I see on the road are in absolute shit condition, and they almost all spew smoke of some sort. Haters gonna hate, and I hate.

I dont know where you see 8/10 RHD in shit condition spew smoke... Unless they have been abused to shit after importation...

Unless they are diesel.. I can see some smoke being spewed under load.
    Last edited by sidewaysD; 05-16-2013 at 03:44 PM.

OP I HAVE BOTH ME AND MY GF'S FOR SALE, both 1998's with the bulletproof 3.3...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/369748/fs...hilkoot-white/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/369745/fs...-chilkoot-red/

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Originally posted by sidewaysD
    The 2.4 is notorious for cracking heads, its the 3.0 diesel you mean. But no chance of getting a half decent one for the OP's price range.

clem24, these RHD import is the better vehicle by far. Blame the auto companies for not releasing them here in the first place.

For the Op's price range id say find a clean Pathy, most have a LSD in them in case the going gets rough. The 4runners with the locker are better, but way more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

You have to go for a 1999+ 4Runner for a rear locker, and it's super rare to find one with a locker + manual transmission. It's pretty common to find Pathfinders with a limited slip rear differential unless it's a base model. I would take a locker over a limited slip though, if given the chance.

Some things to keep in mind:

The Pathfinder is pretty reliable, no real major issues. Be wary of the strut rust on the 2nd generation R50 series, but I wouldn't say it's a problem since you can get that inspected for free and fixed. If they can't fix it, they'll buy your vehicle out. With the VQ35DE engine, the only (rare) problem might be a loose intake screw that could get sucked in and do damage.

The 4Runner actually seems to have a few more well known problems. Not sure if this is just because me having owned and read up on the 4Runner longer. As mentioned before, the older V6 3VZE engine has the infamous head gasket issue (which might be a bit hyped TBH). The 22RE is known to be pretty bulletproof, but watch out for the timing chain guides wearing out. Both the 22RE and 3VZE are GUTLESS engines, so be prepared to not be able to go past 80km/h when the highway inclines slightly!

Rear axle seals can often blow/leak due to a clogged differential breather.

The 3rd generation 4Runner is a completely different beast. Much better ride, and the V6 5VZFE is one of Toyota's best engines. The biggest flaw with the 3rd gen are the lower ball joints, which have a non-failsafe design. Make sure those are replaced with OEM ones. If your budget allows for a 3rd gen 4Runner, GET IT! Here's a great buying guide for one:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html

My Ride
    WRB WRX

Originally posted by nobb
    You have to go for a 1999+ 4Runner for a rear locker, and it's super rare to find one with a locker + manual transmission. It's pretty common to find Pathfinders with a limited slip rear differential unless it's a base model. I would take a locker over a limited slip though, if given the chance.

Some things to keep in mind:

The Pathfinder is pretty reliable, no real major issues. Be wary of the strut rust on the 2nd generation R50 series, but I wouldn't say it's a problem since you can get that inspected for free and fixed. If they can't fix it, they'll buy your vehicle out. With the VQ35DE engine, the only (rare) problem might be a loose intake screw that could get sucked in and do damage.

The 4Runner actually seems to have a few more well known problems. Not sure if this is just because me having owned and read up on the 4Runner longer. As mentioned before, the older V6 3VZE engine has the infamous head gasket issue (which might be a bit hyped TBH). The 22RE is known to be pretty bulletproof, but watch out for the timing chain guides wearing out. Both the 22RE and 3VZE are GUTLESS engines, so be prepared to not be able to go past 80km/h when the highway inclines slightly!

Rear axle seals can often blow/leak due to a clogged differential breather.

The 3rd generation 4Runner is a completely different beast. Much better ride, and the V6 5VZFE is one of Toyota's best engines. The biggest flaw with the 3rd gen are the lower ball joints, which have a non-failsafe design. Make sure those are replaced with OEM ones. If your budget allows for a 3rd gen 4Runner, GET IT! Here's a great buying guide for one:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html
    Toyota offered the locker 1996+. I have a 1996 manual with a diff lock, neighbor of mine has a 1997 automatic with diff lock.

The electronic diff lock on the 3rd gen is one of the best features. 2 seconds to engage and with a 4 inch lift and 33's I almost never get stuck unless its crazy deep mud.
    I am Ihatetowait and this is what I say ^

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Pathfinder is a great vehicle, but the aftermarket support isn't there.

4Runner is a better vehicle all around in my opinion, lots of aftermarket support.

1996-2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited's had the STANDARD Rear Diff lock.

1996-1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 had the optional Rear Diff Lock, and the possibilty of having a manual Transmission.

2001-2002 Toyota 4Runner only had Center Differential Lock.

My Ride
    2013 BMW 335i

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep em coming it is definitely much appreciated!

In terms of aftermarket support i'm not too concerned as i'm not looking to do anything too crazy with the car, I just want to take it for camping, outdoor activities and act as my winter beater...

that said as I mentioned earlier I think i'll be going with a pathfinder as the bang for buck value just can't be beat! I was looking at an xterra as well but they seem to be out of my range for now as they're newer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast