Quantcast
Target Canada president says Canada-U.S. price parity not in the cards for new store - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Target Canada president says Canada-U.S. price parity not in the cards for new store

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Target Canada president says Canada-U.S. price parity not in the cards for new store

picked up mobile 1 oil from that new discount department store

it was actually 2 dollars cheaper at a downtown gas station......

why im posting this is - the people they interviewed on TV were dead on - I just watched it.

"its just like a rebranded zellers"

http://globalnews.ca/news/538620/sne...target-stores/

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...292/story.html

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...301/story.html
    Last edited by thetransporter; 05-17-2013 at 02:02 PM.

My Ride
    R6///R50

That's amazing.

why not go buy it from the downtown gas station then?

My Ride
    Silverado

The fuck is mobile 1?

My Ride
    Silverado

Also.... Why is this is real estate and finance?
    Isn't there a section called Bitchfest granny panties that this would go better in

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Also.... Why is this is real estate and finance?
    Isn't there a section called Bitchfest granny panties that this would go better in
    I'm the one acting bitchy?

New store - opened up, Finance - where else?
    people on the news saying its not what the expected.

Why so much hostility?

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

I was expecting Target to be a slightly higher priced Walmart with mostly the same items, but with a higher price on average. I don't know why some people were making such a big fuss over Target coming over into Canada. Especially when there's Superstore here as well.

Nordstrom will be more interesting. Currently, there's a bit of a gap between Hudson's Bay and Holt Renfrew. Something like a Nordstrom or a Macy's might be nice with some of the lines that they might bring. E.g., both Hudson's Bay and Holt Renfrew in Calgary have jack $hit for a watch or jewelry selection, but Nordstrom carries Victorinox and Movado, plus they have Mikimoto Pearls. Edit: I think I may have seen a Tag Heuer counter in a Nordstrom before too.
    Last edited by ga16i; 05-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    Silverado

Haha my bad

Default Re: Target Canada president says Canada-U.S. price parity not in the cards for new store

Originally posted by thetransporter
    why im posting this is - the people they interviewed on TV were dead on - I just watched it.

"its just like a rebranded zellers"

http://globalnews.ca/news/538620/sne...target-stores/

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...292/story.html

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...301/story.html
    People in Canada need to realize that any store operating in both the US and Canada are not going to be the same. US prices are almost always going to be lower due to lower shipping, distribution costs, etc.

Also, the items carried in the stores are not going to be identical either. The products in the Canadian stores are required to have french labelling on them, something that US stores do not require. They won't have the buying power to purchase the goods for Canadian branded items(46 Canadian stores) compared to US/non-French ones(1763 stores in the US).

We lose out on a lot of products that only sell in the US because some brands are not willing to, or figure it's not worth the cost have French labels for our smaller market.

It's the same thing as Walmart, Sears or any other company with both US and Canadian locations.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Yeah I don't see what the hype is with Target. That store is so shitty. Can't believe people lined up in the morning to go in.

Nordstrom will be awesome. In the States, they just put $500 watches out in the open like it's nothing haha. You can touch and play with them without someone assisting you. So much brand names in there too. It's like a department store, but with higher end products. Love it.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Yeah I don't see what the hype is with Target. That store is so shitty. Can't believe people lined up in the morning to go in.

Nordstrom will be awesome.
    spot on

I haven't been in yet, but the comments from others who have around here have said it feels like Zellers all over again.

If the expectation of the Canadian consumer is that Target should rival Wal-Mart Canada in terms of product diversity and more importantly, pricing, then I don't see Target fairing very well up here, since it would seem Target is more expensive and does not offer up anything special over Wal-Mart.

I don't think the fact many of the locations have sprung up in previous 'dying' Zellers locations is going to help matters either. The one in Nanaimo opened up in the old Zellers location in a dead mall where the other main attraction, Best Buy, just closed it's doors.
    Last edited by masoncgy; 05-17-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Originally posted by masoncgy
    I haven't been in yet, but the comments from others who have around here have said it feels like Zellers all over again.

If the expectation of the Canadian consumer is that Target should rival Wal-Mart Canada in terms of product diversity and more importantly, pricing, then I don't see Target fairing very well up here, since it would seem Target is more expensive and does not offer up anything special over Wal-Mart.

I don't think the fact many of the locations have sprung up in previous 'dying' Zellers locations is going to help matters either. The one in Nanaimo opened up in the old Zellers location in a dead mall where the other main attraction, Best Buy, just closed it's doors.
    Chinook Centre and Marketmall are busy malls, so they will do well there. I'm not so sure about Sunridge Mall or Forest Lawn though.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Just came back from Target as I had to drive out that direction to fill the van, and wanted to make my trip worth my time vs just getting gas.

Overall looks more vibrant than a Zellers used to be, but not by much and probably only because people are just checking out what's new.

Noticed that 75% of stuff in the Electronics department has no prices...

Everything else seems to be either slightly cheaper or slightly more expensive than anywhere else. I usually shop for everything at superstore so I use that as a basis for comparison.

Frozen Mangos, 600g, is $3.99, thought that was a good price as I buy frozen mangos all the time.

Chicken Pie, superstore usually $1.59 each, there they had a special for $1.25, I eat this stuff all the time (and it shows...) so bought 15 of em.

Milk was a bit more expensive. 2L 2% was 3.83 vs I think something like 3.69 at Superstore, and Lactaid 2% was $5.64...$4.99 at superstore.

rest of the stuff I looked at seems pretty on par with everywhere else.

Target started in Minneapolis/St. Paul, and in fact the original location is less than a mile from my family's auto repair shop. Target is nothing like Walmart. It's much cleaner and has a more upscale atmosphere. They also emphasize design in their store brand products, which is something you definitely don't see in Great Value products at Walmart. Prices are slightly higher than Walmart, but you're paying for having a cleaner and less-trashy shopping environment.

The only similarity between Zellar's and Target was the color scheme, which Zellar's totally ripped off from Target. The Zellar's shopping experience was more akin to K-Mart.
    Last edited by FixedGear; 05-17-2013 at 08:59 PM.

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Originally posted by ga16i
    I was expecting Target to be a slightly higher priced Walmart with mostly the same items, but with a higher price on average. I don't know why some people were making such a big fuss over Target coming over into Canada. Especially when there's Superstore here as well.

Nordstrom will be more interesting. Currently, there's a bit of a gap between Hudson's Bay and Holt Renfrew. Something like a Nordstrom or a Macy's might be nice with some of the lines that they might bring. E.g., both Hudson's Bay and Holt Renfrew in Calgary have jack $hit for a watch or jewelry selection, but Nordstrom carries Victorinox and Movado, plus they have Mikimoto Pearls. Edit: I think I may have seen a Tag Heuer counter in a Nordstrom before too.
    Nordstrom will be sweet. There is a newish store at west Ed called simons, I really like that store too. Wish we got one here

Originally posted by FixedGear
    Target started in Minneapolis/St. Paul, and in fact the original location is less than a mile from my family's auto repair shop. Target is nothing like Walmart. It's much cleaner and has a more upscale atmosphere. They also emphasize design in their store brand products, which is something you definitely don't see in Great Value products at Walmart. Prices are slightly higher than Walmart, but you're paying for having a cleaner and less-trashy shopping environment.

The only similarity between Zellar's and Target was the color scheme, which Zellar's totally ripped off from Target. The Zellar's shopping experience was more akin to K-Mart.
    ...but is having a clean, refreshed Zellers (which is what they seem to be) going to mean big profits in the end? Wal-Mart has a loyal customer base in Canada... are people going to switch? I have my doubts.

Unless prices & selection are at par or better, I don't see a lot of people becoming Target customers for the long term.

I am going to check it out today myself and see what it's all about. Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Originally posted by CivicTunr

Nordstrom will be sweet. There is a newish store at west Ed called simons, I really like that store too. Wish we got one here
    They are a Quebec based department store from what I recall. They would probably do okay in Calgary.

As for Target, it is disappointing because Target is so good the US. From what I understand, they really push to be better than Walmart in an upscale discounting type of way. Target in Canada appears to sell the same crap that Zellers did. Nobody wanted Mosomo or whatever that crap brand was. People on a tight clothing budget have great options now such as Joe Fresh. hopefully they get their act together soon.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Fuck target lol. I never shop there when I'm in the us. Wont shop there now.

Only bonus is....we now have a starbucks in forest lawn. Lmao

was at the chinook location last day...very disappointed and won't shop there again.Very high priced and also was asked a zillion times can I help you?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast