Quantcast
Offer Letter - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Offer Letter

My Ride
    Car

Default Offer Letter

As some of you might know, I was offered a new job a couple weeks back, and I'm super jacked for it. But I still haven't received the formal offer letter which is driving me nuts. I'm very tempted to send a note to the guy and check in, but don't want to bug him as he's a very busy man, and I had already emailed him last week. These things take time, I just can't imagine how it takes this long.

May 3 - Verbal offer over the phone
    May 7 - No offer yet, I check in (last chance to put in two weeks notice and make our discussed start date of May 21); he replies that he's waiting on a draft from HR
    May 10 - Email apologizing for the delay in getting the letter as he had to go through U.S. HR/Legal. Still no letter

Now it's the 16th and I can't figure out what would possibly take so long to put a simple offer together. I know the Calgary office is in a big hurry to get me in there, hence the concern (offer is coming from the director in TO, who's going through the US office)

So - email him, yay or nay?

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Last contact was the 10th, today is the 16th? Yes, contact again. Once a week is more than acceptable considering that you have make arrangements in your own life as well.

The 21st date is obviously out the window already. Hopefully someone from Calgary is following up if that's who needs you. It sounds like you know someone in the Calgary office? May be worth checking with that person to see if they can find out more.

Sometimes HR gets backed up. Mine took weeks more than expected.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

My Ride
    Car

Done. So hard to word those notes without sounding pushy

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

I would guess that offer letters are generic forms where the employer fills in name, position and salary, among other details. The majority of the letter should be the same mumbo jumbo every employee gets. That would drive me nuts if the employer took that long to put it together. Not only does it reflect badly on the employer, but its a big inconvenience to you and your life planning. When I verbally accepted my position, I had a formal offer package in my inbox within 2 hours.

Here's my opinion - why are you so worked up about it? You got a verbal offer over the phone and accepted it, so who cares about formalizing it? When is your start date?

I've waited up to 3 weeks after a verbal offer for the formal offer.

Unless you starting right away there really is no rush.

My Ride
    WK2

Originally posted by sabad66
    Here's my opinion - why are you so worked up about it? You got a verbal offer over the phone and accepted it, so who cares about formalizing it? When is your start date?
    Wouldn't be the first time someone's changed their mind

When it comes to securing new positions, and resigning from other ones, I make sure all paper work is in place and signed.

I followed up with an email ensuring the HR department received my signed copy of the offer letter before I gave my current employer notice. Be pushy - you're making changes in your life, and they'll understand that.

My Ride
    Car

94CoRd basically got it... I'm beyond excited to start this job because (a) it's my dream job and (b) everybody I've ever talked to told me it's virtually impossible to break in to. So in a way I can't believe I've got it (especially since it was my first application that got an interview), and signing an offer would be seal the deal. It's mostly impatience on my end.

But also, I know the Calgary office wants the new hire to come on ASAP because they're swamped, so that isn't helping things.

My Ride
    99 Blazer

Originally posted by sabad66
    I've been told over the phone to quit my job, luckily I felt weird about it and I tried to call back couldn't get ahold of him. I emailed no response, still not sure what happened, but I'm glad I had reservations about it.
    Last edited by Black Gts; 05-17-2013 at 11:12 AM.

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

What kind of position if you don't mind me asking? Congrats BTW!!!