Quantcast
Looking to buy a juicer - need recommendations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a juicer - need recommendations

Default Looking to buy a juicer - need recommendations

Would like to buy a juicer within the next week, anyone have recommendations for brands/models to check out?

Thanks

My Ride
    MDX

Forget a juicer that only does 1 function. Pick up a blendtec or vitamix blender instead.

My Ride
    rally pig

my fiance bought this from Bed, Bath & Beyond
    http://www.amazon.ca/Breville-JE98XL...uicer+breville

for around 189, same price in Home Outfitters too I think, so Amazon seems to be the cheapest place.

no comment on it though as I'm not a big fan of juicing, I would rather eat the vegetable TBH

but it does taste good

we use the nutribullet every morning for veg/fruit. If you need to do more get blender as noted above.

My Ride
    Hatred

But what if you actually just want to get the juice out of something?

I don't see many people blending whole oranges just because blenders are better..
    -U

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

We have had a blendtec for Over a year now and just recently bought a salton juicer from costco. They both serve different purposes.

I make smoothie type drinks in the blender and healthy juices in the juicer. So far I've been happy with the purchase, although I have nothing else to compare it too.

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by Unknown303
    But what if you actually just want to get the juice out of something?

I don't see many people blending whole oranges just because blenders are better..
    I have both, and my juicer doesn't get used at all anymore. Whole food juicing is a better choice for people that want the health benefits of the juice plus the fibre as well. My blendtec blitzes oranges so well the pulp is non-existent.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

My buddy has a really nice $300-400 juicer at his place in Nicaragua. You'd think it would be great for juicing all the freshly tree picked fruit but it's too much hassle to clean it up to make it good for daily use.

He gave it to the bar and they bulk juice now (gallons at a time) which makes more sense from a clean-up perspective.

My Ride
    STi

My mom has this one, and I'm looking to pick one up myself pretty soon.

http://www.amazon.ca/Omega-J8006-Nut.../dp/B001L7OIVI

I've tried hers a few times and it's super easy to use and clean. Best part is, is it's a really slow speed juicer. Alot of the traditional or older juicers are high speed (rpm) so the heat can kill some of the nutrients. The newer/better juicers are slow speed which keeps more of the nutrients. I'm not sure if this makes a big enough difference but if I'm spending money on a juicer, I might as well get a low rpm one from the get go and keep as much of the nutrients as possible. This one's also alot easier to clean than the crappy high speed juicer I had. Alot of the traditional juicers have a really fine strainer that food gets stuck in really easily and it takes alot of scrubbing to get it out.

I agree with getting a blender though. For fruits, I use blenders only. I don't juice fruits as you get a huge surplus of sugars and none of the beneficial fibers that fruits carry. I'd only be using the juicer for vegetables. You still lose fiber by juicing vegetables, but for the most part, there's less sugar in vegetables.
    Last edited by jsn; 05-22-2013 at 10:28 PM.

I have the made in South Korea, Green Star Elite Jumbo Twin Gear Juice Extractor (GSE-5000), it takes about four minutes to clean. A Breville takes about thirty seconds, if you are in any way hesitant about juicing due to the cleaning aspect, get the Breville as juicing is too important to use clean up time as an excuse to not juice. The major difference between the two would be the amount of juice extracted, the Breville gets less juice BUT this ought not to be your major reason for one over the other. The other concern is heat as mentioned by another, the Green Star makes no heat at all. Any juicer is better than no juicer.

Anyone that knows anything about juicing knows a traditional blender is just that a blender. It is for blending stuff, not even in the same league at all. No serious person in the juicer space would use a blender for real juice needs. The Vita Mix might be the exception from what I have read, no real experience with it though. I'd like to see someone blend five pounds of carrots in a blender, good luck with that. Never mind wheatgrass in a blender.... no can do.

I mostly juice carrots with other veggies and a bit of green apple. Also I buy a tray of wheatgrass and get two harvests off it in the warmer months. A month ago a 25lb bag of organic carrots was about $22 in Calgary, two weeks ago the price has shot up to nearly $50. So now I buy carrots from Safeway (until the health food store pricing drops), in five pound bags as they are half the price of Community and Planet Organic. Someone please bring in Whole Foods to Calgary or get Costco to carry organics as in the USA.

I ordered my juicer from the USA, even with shipping, duty, etc I still saved 25% over the local heath food ass-hat stores.

A rather solid review of juicers available on the market today, she also has many good juice recipes to follow: http://foodbabe.com/2011/10/23/day-2...juicers-recap/
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 05-22-2013 at 11:42 PM.

My Ride
    335i

Jugo Juice uses the 800JEXL.

I go there for their fruit drinks and it does a good job. I'd buy that if I needed one. The problem is that cleanup is a huge hassle unless you are juicing tons at a time IMO
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    I have the made in South Korea, Green Star Elite Jumbo Twin Gear Juice Extractor (GSE-5000), it takes about four minutes to clean. A Breville takes about thirty seconds, if you are in any way hesitant about juicing due to the cleaning aspect, get the Breville as juicing is too important to use clean up time as an excuse to not juice. The major difference between the two would be the amount of juice extracted, the Breville gets less juice BUT this ought not to be your major reason for one over the other. The other concern is heat as mentioned by another, the Green Star makes no heat at all. Any juicer is better than no juicer.

Anyone that knows anything about juicing knows a traditional blender is just that a blender. It is for blending stuff, not even in the same league at all. No serious person in the juicer space would use a blender for real juice needs. The Vita Mix might be the exception from what I have read, no real experience with it though. I'd like to see someone blend five pounds of carrots in a blender, good luck with that. Never mind wheatgrass in a blender.... no can do.

I mostly juice carrots with other veggies and a bit of green apple. Also I buy a tray of wheatgrass and get two harvests off it in the warmer months. A month ago a 25lb bag of organic carrots was about $22 in Calgary, two weeks ago the price has shot up to nearly $50. So now I buy carrots from Safeway (until the health food store pricing drops), in five pound bags as they are half the price of Community and Planet Organic. Someone please bring in Whole Foods to Calgary or get Costco to carry organics as in the USA.

I ordered my juicer from the USA, even with shipping, duty, etc I still saved 25% over the local heath food ass-hat stores.

A rather solid review of juicers available on the market today, she also has many good juice recipes to follow: http://foodbabe.com/2011/10/23/day-2...juicers-recap/
    The vitamix and blendtec are both known as two of the best blenders on the market for home use. Correct that they aren't juice extractors, they are used for whole food juicing which is slightly different.

You have to do some research on what kind of juicer you want. Some of them heat and kill off any of the good stuff. I have been on a 14 day juice fast... I just have the Jack Lalane, because I didn't want to run out and buy another.

If you are going to juice leafy greens do your research. Otherwise most lower end juicers will just through it back into the pulp. I freeze my pulp and use to dehydrate for crackers and put into veggie brother and stuff chicken with it, use it in muffins...most of all ... my compost.

If I could get any juicer I could it would be a Greenstar. You can use it as a food mill and babyfood maker,... and make nut butters. So lucky you!
    CanmoreOrLess! I am looking forward to the market out by Calaway being open soon. I refuse to take from our own garden except the kale and stuff, because I am using so much at a time.

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by jsn
    My mom has this one, and I'm looking to pick one up myself pretty soon.

http://www.amazon.ca/Omega-J8006-Nut.../dp/B001L7OIVI

I've tried hers a few times and it's super easy to use and clean. Best part is, is it's a really slow speed juicer. Alot of the traditional or older juicers are high speed (rpm) so the heat can kill some of the nutrients. The newer/better juicers are slow speed which keeps more of the nutrients. I'm not sure if this makes a big enough difference but if I'm spending money on a juicer, I might as well get a low rpm one from the get go and keep as much of the nutrients as possible. This one's also alot easier to clean than the crappy high speed juicer I had.
    My wife and I have either that one or the model below. Works great with beets, carrots, oranges, kale, etc. We've made nut butters with it too but it takes a bit of work.

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

the Ninja from bed bath and beyond is fantastic
    Life is a Gamble.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

With regards to the Vitamix blender. I know Costco has travelling road shows with Vitamix being offered in the stores. Has anyone every bought one during this "road show" and are they on sale vs the regular price?

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 02:09 AM.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by kaput
    ^The next road show comes to Calgary in August I think. I just got my Vitamix from Williams Sonoma, they had a 20% off any one item last weekend so some models could be had for less than Costco. I got a 750 for $600. I'm not sure what the difference is as Costco seems to have a unique model number, probably for exclusivity.
    I just checked the costco website and there is one happening at cross iron mills this week. I'll check it out and see what the prices are like

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Jugo Juice uses the 800JEXL.

I go there for their fruit drinks and it does a good job. I'd buy that if I needed one. The problem is that cleanup is a huge hassle unless you are juicing tons at a time IMO
    Those are JJ's old ones.

New ones are Robot Coupe 100 ($2500+). Home use can use Robot Coupe 80.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast