Quantcast
Sabal Homes vs. Discovery Homes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sabal Homes vs. Discovery Homes

My Ride
    UA6

Default Sabal Homes vs. Discovery Homes

I'm looking to build a starter home with Sabal Homes in Copperfield. My second option is Discovery Homes in Cranston.

After reading some older threads here about Sabal with a lot of mixed reviews, i'm starting to have some doubts on going with them.

I understand that Discovery Homes is a division of Morrision homes and that they won a JD Power award for 2012.

Anyone recently build a starter home with either Sabal or Discovery? Feedback?

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Morison is gonna be x3 better quality then sabal.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Sabal has really nice designs. But Cranston > Copperfield, how do the prices compare? I assume Cranston is probably $20-$30k more for comparable products.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Originally posted by InRich
    I disagree, I would build sable over Morrison all day long, Iam currently renting a Morrison home while my house is getting built. the quality is a joke, and its a 750,000 estate home.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    UA6

Originally posted by InRich
    The Sabal showhomes actually looked to have a nicer finish and feel than the Discovery and Brookfield homes I saw. But I'm also concerned with quality of the construction process.

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Sabal has really nice designs. But Cranston > Copperfield, how do the prices compare? I assume Cranston is probably $20-$30k more for comparable products.
    Sabal Copperfield = 1357 sq ft, $335k

Discovery Cranston = 1316 sq ft, $332k (including their promotion discount)

main floor hardwood and tile standard on both. But Sabal also has standard stainless appliances, 9' ceilings, front porch and higher quality cabinetry+faucets+light fixtures.

Originally posted by JordanLotoski

I disagree, I would build sable over Morrison all day long, Iam currently renting a Morrison home while my house is getting built. the quality is a joke, and its a 750,000 estate home.
    You building with Sabal and where?

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

^^

No iam not building with Sable, but would if I had to pick between the 2. By the time you upgarde your Discovery home to where the sable home is youll be way more money.

Go with brookfield in Cranston, far superior product

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

Both are shit. What can you do in this time? There's a shortage of quality workers. Have you seen any new development? There's hundreds of semi-unfinished homes with little kids dicking around pretending to play carpenter.

(Is there even a carpenter trade now?) Or just kids with pop guns putting up house a day?

It doesn't really matter who you go with as far as quality of the labour goes. They all use the same sub-trades. So essentially all the houses are built by the same people.
    Just go with the builder that is offering the package/price/layout that you like.
    Often times the quality of the house boils down to who the site-super is. You can have the same builder build two identical houses...one will have a slack super, the other will have a real hard-ass and stickler for detail and quality. Guess which one will be a better house.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    It doesn't really matter who you go with as far as quality of the labour goes. They all use the same sub-trades. So essentially all the houses are built by the same people.
    Just go with the builder that is offering the package/price/layout that you like.
    Often times the quality of the house boils down to who the site-super is. You can have the same builder build two identical houses...one will have a slack super, the other will have a real hard-ass and stickler for detail and quality. Guess which one will be a better house.
    This x 100

Find the layout you like and stay on the builders ass during construction and hope for the best.

My Ride
    PG GLI /

My house is with Sabal homes in Copperfield, bought it in June of 2011. As far as structural integrity is concerned its in fantastic shape there was only one minor problem which was found during the 1 year home owner warranty, which I showed them and they came in and took care of it.

As far as the house being only as good as the Site Super I agree 100% Sabals was great very interactive and was always there if you had any questions or concerns.

So as a Sabal home buyer I would say would I go with them again yeah probably but are there better home builders out there hell yeah and I work for a trades company we deal with a lot of home builders.

Just my 2 cents.

My Ride
    UA6

Originally posted by VDubbez86
    My house is with Sabal homes in Copperfield, bought it in June of 2011. As far as structural integrity is concerned its in fantastic shape there was only one minor problem which was found during the 1 year home owner warranty, which I showed them and they came in and took care of it.

As far as the house being only as good as the Site Super I agree 100% Sabals was great very interactive and was always there if you had any questions or concerns.

So as a Sabal home buyer I would say would I go with them again yeah probably but are there better home builders out there hell yeah and I work for a trades company we deal with a lot of home builders.

Just my 2 cents.
    I keep hearing Brookfield and Discovery are better home builders. In what way is Sabal not as good as it could be (customer service, interior finish, warranty, etc)?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

My old place was a Sabal townhouse and I had no major problems. They were quick and easy getting any small stuff fixed after the fact.

New house I just built is Brookfield and I have no major issues with their build quality yet (moved in 7 months ago) but damn i feel like they spend more time making excuses why they can't fix small issues rather than just fixing it. It's all minor or seasonal stuff but just fix it and get on with it already. Pretty sure this is happening cause they're swamped.

All things considered both were on par with my expectations for entry level builders. And after hearing stories from other builders I can't really complain too much.

My Ride
    UA6

So I decided to go with Sabal. Signed the papers and waiting on final approval from the bank. Is it normal that the builder sends only the base price of the home for approval and does not include upgrades?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by EG STyLeZ
    So I decided to go with Sabal. Signed the papers and waiting on final approval from the bank. Is it normal that the builder sends only the base price of the home for approval and does not include upgrades?
    Congrats

When I did mine they added in all the major upgrade costs that we knew we wanted (anything in the $5k+ range) and they also padded the number with some extra stuff to bring it up even more.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

I currently live in a 2 bedroom detached Sabal home in Copperfield right now and never had any issues with it and very energy efficient even if I have a lot of windows.

We wanted to sell and move to a bigger house because I have a kid now. I would love to go with Sabal again but they just didn't have the right floor plan we want. I maybe going with Excel right now for a new build and as stated above as long as you stay on top of them during build then it will turn out right.

So does anyone looking for a 2 bedroom detached home in Copperfield? Possession date will be in Jan, lol!!!

My Ride
    Chevy Silverado

Originally posted by DENZILDON
    I currently live in a 2 bedroom detached Sabal home in Copperfield right now and never had any issues with it and very energy efficient even if I have a lot of windows.

We wanted to sell and move to a bigger house because I have a kid now. I would love to go with Sabal again but they just didn't have the right floor plan we want. I maybe going with Excel right now for a new build and as stated above as long as you stay on top of them during build then it will turn out right.

So does anyone looking for a 2 bedroom detached home in Copperfield? Possession date will be in Jan, lol!!!
    Hey! Might be a little late for my 2 cents on Sabal vs. Discovery, but I built with Excel two and a half years ago. They have some excellent floor plans. My biggest concern is lack of planning and carelessness when actually building the house. They do not outright give an option regarding furnace placement (which is now costing me extra money during my basement developments), they forgot to insulate a wall which lead to a pipe freezing in the middle of winter, luckily it did not burst, and countless minor items that I would expect of most home builders.

As far as Sabal over Discovery, I used to work for Sabal where we had very few concerns from past clients. With respect to Morrison and Discovery homes, they have their pro's and con's as any builder does. I have not heard anything negative regarding Morrison homes aside from they are not the most Real Estate Agent friendly builder out there.

Also, Brookfield has great products and the staff are very friendly and helpful. All of my friends who have built with them have been satisfied so far!

Cheers,

Todd

My Ride
    K20A2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EG STyLeZ
    [B]

main floor hardwood and tile standard on both. But Sabal also has standard stainless appliances, 9' ceilings, front porch and higher quality cabinetry+faucets+light fixtures.

i just called sabal the 1357sq is now $349k
    did it just go up

Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    Chevy Silverado

^^
    I have been talking with a few friends in new home sales. What I have been able to get from them is that with Mayor Nenshi only approving 1 new development in the next 10 years, all the land currently held by builders has become more valuable.

My friend at Morrison Homes indicated they were looking at potential increases of up to $20,000 per month a few weeks ago. I am not sure if this is a little overzealous thinking, however I have heard from a few builders lately with large price increases in the last few weeks.

Cheers,

Todd Purcell

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 95EG6P
    [B]
    Originally posted by EG STyLeZ

i just called sabal the 1357sq is now $349k
    did it just go up

Is that the same house and same lot? Or just same house plan? Lot prices vary from one to the other.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Originally posted by tpurcell4

Hey! Might be a little late for my 2 cents on Sabal vs. Discovery, but I built with Excel two and a half years ago. They have some excellent floor plans. My biggest concern is lack of planning and carelessness when actually building the house. They do not outright give an option regarding furnace placement (which is now costing me extra money during my basement developments), they forgot to insulate a wall which lead to a pipe freezing in the middle of winter, luckily it did not burst, and countless minor items that I would expect of most home builders.

Todd
    Thanks for the reminder Todd, luckily the floor plan we chose has the furnace and tank in the corner of the house unlike the current models they have. if everything goes well it will be the first house built for this model. They dont even have the model house on their website yet. It's similar to their Kendall model with 3rd floor loft but different main floor layout.

I'll make sure I stay on top of the build for sure!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast