Quantcast
Replacing Airbag seats with buckets legal? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Airbag seats with buckets legal?

Question Replacing Airbag seats with buckets legal?

Just curious if it is legal to replace reclinable seats with airbags with non-reclinable non-airbag seats? Also if injured in an accident could this affect my ability to make a claim?

My Ride
    G37X

It's probably legal as in you won't get a ticket from cps,
    however insurance would frown on you removing safety
    equipment without a doubt. I'd say it's in the same category
    as racing steering wheels, cages etc/

I know with a steering wheel you are removing a required safety device but side airbags are an optional device so not sure if they are treated differently.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Really good question also interested in this as I want buckets too.

Another thing to consider is that when you pull the factory seats (with side airbags) the airbag "system" isn't working and is probably going to throw a fault code so in the event of an accident would the other airbags in the car deploy properly? I couldn't get a straight answer on this either. I guess if you get a cage, racing wheel and 5/6 point harness it's a moot point though.

To answer the question about deployment. No they would not go off if the fault code is present.

And mentioned above, removing safety equipment will be frown upon when putting a claiming through to the insurance company.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Somebody quoting things without reading them? On the internet?
    GET THE FUCK OUTTA TOWN
    Originally posted by Toma
    First dibs sniffing bras panties when dirty girls bring their cars in

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Isn't your M3 modified enough you already have some special insurance on it? Or are you talking about the Porsche?

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by 94boosted
    Really good question also interested in this as I want buckets too.

Another thing to consider is that when you pull the factory seats (with side airbags) the airbag "system" isn't working and is probably going to throw a fault code so in the event of an accident would the other airbags in the car deploy properly? I couldn't get a straight answer on this either. I guess if you get a cage, racing wheel and 5/6 point harness it's a moot point though.

Originally posted by Heru-Farukon
    To answer the question about deployment. No they would not go off if the fault code is present.

And mentioned above, removing safety equipment will be frown upon when putting a claiming through to the insurance company.
    They will most certainly deploy with a code present.

The only thing that will take place with an airbag light present on the dash or cluster during an accident is the elimination of the faulted module or circuit, all other airbags and supplemental restraint systems will function as normal.

There is alway the option of removing the airbag modules from your stock seat and attatching them to the buckets. Many of the after market apolstry shops will do this when fabricating new seats.

You are required to transfer over the SRS tag from the seats and use airbag approved thread to stitch the seam where the airbag is in place as well.

People who remove them and leave them out typically defeat the warning light by placing a resistor in the circuit but being BMW, that side airbag more than likely has a logic board built in, and will need to be bypassed by another method.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

you should be able to figure out what resistor you need in place of the air bags so no codes are thrown.

EDIT: didnt read all of rick's post

This is for the Porsche. I would be interested to hear from our insurance experts on the site to get their oppinions too.

Retrofitting the airbag is a good idea, but with a hard shell bucket this might not work.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Rhys has been fitting his 996 with all them fancy factory race parts, buckets, cage, etc... he is under the impression that if it was offered as an option from the factory that it is fine

Originally posted by ercchry
    Rhys has been fitting his 996 with all them fancy factory race parts, buckets, cage, etc... he is under the impression that if it was offered as an option from the factory that it is fine
    I can fit the optional GT2 seats as they have side airbags, and this what I will likely do, but also like the clubsport seats that are available in Europe and don't have the airbags.

GT2 Seats

Clubsport Seats/ Carrer GT Seats

My Ride

I would go for the clubman seats, and get Porsche to reprogram the SRS module so it doesn't account for the side airbags.

If its a factory option to delete them and it's reprogrammed by the dealer to omit them in module programming then there really isnt much an insurance company can do.

Not the cheapest seats in the world

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=2010GT3_seats

My Ride

That price is a little over the top.

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

That price is a little over the top.
    No Kidding they are available for about 8k on the used market. The GT2 seats are buckets that can fold forward for backseat access and with side airbags are about 8k new.

Originally posted by CSMRX7
    I know with a steering wheel you are removing a required safety device but side airbags are an optional device so not sure if they are treated differently.
    How do you figure this - my 2012 cheap-ass Chev came with standard side airbags as well as standard seat mounted airbags, certainly they were not an option.
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by speedog

How do you figure this - my 2012 cheap-ass Chev came with standard side airbags as well as standard seat mounted airbags, certainly they were not an option.
    Transport Canada does not require on vehicles, although they come as an option or standard on some cars. Drivers and pasenger steering/dash airbags are required by Transport Canada for a car to be legal and as such the car would be illegal to drive without.

Originally posted by CSMRX7
    Transport Canada does not require on vehicles, although they come as an option or standard on some cars. Drivers and passenger steering/dash airbags are required by Transport Canada for a car to be legal and as such the car would be illegal to drive without.
    K, now that's better - optional per Transport Canada's rules but maybe not so depending on the vehicle/manufacturer.
    Will fuck off, again.

I think you will loose all airbag function. If you replace the seats you will loose the occupant classification sensors. With out those sensors the airbag system does not know who is sitting in what seats and does not know what bags to deploy. If you do get all of the airbag gear from you seats installed into the new ones the classification sensors will have to be calibrated.
    I don't see a shop putting in airbags in non airbag seat, they would just be asking for a lawsuit.

I would be very suprised if you could just drop resistors in place of the airbags. For first generation airbag systems that would work but not on this car.

I can guarantee you the dealer is going to tell you to pound sand if you want them to change the airbag system. It is illegal for any shop or tech to dissable any safety system in a vehicle. They are going to follow the rpo codes for that car and thats it. If you show up with the sensors and bags in the aftermarket seat they MAY program it but they may not because they are taking on some liability. You are most likely going to have to find a aftermarket shop that has the factory tooling. Or have a light on the dash and possibile no airbags.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

guys with R35 GT-Rs are using these things (the u-turn harness, third from bottom on page linked)

broken engrish tells me it should work on most cars

http://www.worksbell.co.jp/en/products/boss/option.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast