Quantcast
Wing Chun - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Default Wing Chun

For the longest time, I've always wanted to learn martial arts - more specifically, the style of Wing Chun. IIRC, there's a place in Calgary that teaches it, but I was wondering if anyone here has ever taken classes there or knows anyone that has taken classes. If so, could you share some details about the place?

Edit: I did a quick google search and found two places:
    Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy & Wing Chun (Ving Tsun) Kung Fu Institute of Learning

I'd appreciate it if anyone could share anything about either of these places. Thanks in advance!

even though i have not been to either schools,
    if i were to learn a chinese martial arts, i would personally learn from a chinese instructor

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Why Wing Chung?

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Pak sao, chi sao.

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by revelations
    Why Wing Chung?
    TBH, i've done Wu-shu for a few years and if I was to go back, I would have taken wing chung instead. Most of the other chinese martial arts are just as much for show as they are a martial arts. Wing Chung is abit different in that it's more for the self defense than it is for show. Also, the style is abit different from normal chinese martial arts in that there aren't as many flashy kicks and fancy swinging motions. Most of the strikes are performed at close quarters within a forearms length away from your opponent, and it wastes very little movement. It also it involves using your opponents momentum against them. Plus it's the foundation of Bruce Lee's marital art style

I've always wanted to give it a shot myself.

The second video is from the movie Ip man, but that movies all about the wing-chun style.

I remember the guy I took wushu from also taught abit of wing-chun, but I don't think he was that great of an instructor. I can't remember the guys name but if you're asian and took some form of kung-fu as a child, I'm pretty sure it was from this guy. He taught hundreds of students and always had performances at the cultural center.
    Last edited by jsn; 05-27-2013 at 10:41 PM.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Originally posted by Akumaz
    even though i have not been to either schools,
    if i were to learn a chinese martial arts, i would personally learn from a chinese instructor
    Yeah that's what I thought as well. If I were to learn, I want it to be from the very best. The guys at the Ving Tsun Institute of Learning are descendants of Ip Man - the legend who trained Bruce Lee

Originally posted by revelations
    Why Wing Chung?
    After learning about Ip Man, It just appealed me to more than other forms of martial arts or MMA. It's more of a self-defense style that teaches you to avoid getting hit rather hitting. And basically what jsn said above haha.

Gimme a break.... now let's shoot that video again with 10 Navy Seals or San Quentin inmates lol see how that works out lol

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Heavy, give your head a shake. you come into every thread with a negative attitude, and negative comments. You know it's been shown that optimists live longer and healthier lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    Gimme a break.... now let's shoot that video again with 10 Navy Seals or San Quentin inmates lol see how that works out lol
    I love how in movies 10 on 1 means 10 guys, 1 at a time lol.

forget Wing Chun. I only train Tapout and UFC

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Heavy, give your head a shake. you come into every thread with a negative attitude, and negative comments. You know it's been shown that optimists live longer and healthier lives.
    Top of the morning to you kind sir! DO YOU REALLY THINK

A) I give a fuck
    B) That I want 30-40 more years of this shit???

I'm not suicidal by any means but anytime is good now lol obviously not going anywhere with this life and likely won't so whatever
    It's the internet dude, there's gonna be positive, negative, up, down, left, right, all perceived differently by each individual. Better get a grasp on that. But I'm happy I helped you out with your morning lol

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm actually having a great morning, so thanks. I think I've got a pretty solid grasp of how the internet works.
    Anyway, take care of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

It's been over 10 years since I've quit (due to personal time commitments), but I was at the Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy for most of my early-teen and teenage years. I went to Level 7 (out of 10 levels + a couple add'l stripe levels after that), which they say at Level 7 is equivalent to a black belt in other martial arts. Those that attended there knew me as the Little Bruce Lee as I was one of those go all out sorta asian kids who knew kung fu...basically I was a brat who would pick fights with anybody. Although the head Sifu (Brian Lewadny) is/was a white guy when I attended, he had trained under one of the grandmaster Wing Chun Sifu's that not only taught Bruce Lee himself, but had directly learned from Ip Man too. You could consider Sifu Brian as a brother-from-another-mother of Bruce Lee if you'd like (and grandchild of Ip Man). As for the instructors at the academy now, I had actually trained directly with the main instructors there currently, Aaron and Frank. In fact, Frank only started a few months before I started. If I had only continued with my training, I would definitely have been an instructor of the art.

As others have said, including the OP, Wing Chun is purely a defensive martial art without a whole lot of show. It's also not meant as a "beat anyone up" sorta fighting style; it's merely designed to keep the attacker away from you in a defensive manner, wound them reasonably, and be able to escape with your shirt on your back. Also, Bruce Lee only learned Wing Chun in his younger years as a developing student, it wasn't the martial art that he continued with. If anyone's looking into more of an attacking Bruce Lee martial art, consider Jeet Kune Do instead.

Anyway, to this day, I still remember 80% of the forms and if confronted in combat, I would still be able to put my training into practice and likely still come out on top. It was also a great way of keeping fit...case in point, I had obtained an 8-pack when I was at a ripe ole' age of 13, unfortunately, it's now amassed to mostly just a 1-pack gut.

It's been a someone forgotten martial art in the Chinese culture; I'm glad movies like Ip Man came out to showcase the art again. OP, I would highly suggest taking Wing Chun for your defensive and fitness goals. Though remember, you'll need to commit at least 5 years of your life to be reasonably good at it and be able to use it in any combat situation.
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 05-29-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

So in speaking about Jeet Kune Do, I found this place:
    http://www.wcmartialarts.ca/

Has anyone trained here? any reviews?

Just wanted some input. Thanks
    Harold: ...The universe tends to unfold as it should.
    Kumar: What is that? some fortune cookie?

[IMG]www.jhin.com/blog/ archives/category/movie/[/ IMG]

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Originally posted by mo_money2supe
    It's been over 10 years since I've quit (due to personal time commitments), but I was at the Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy for most of my early-teen and teenage years. I went to Level 7 (out of 10 levels + a couple add'l stripe levels after that), which they say at Level 7 is equivalent to a black belt in other martial arts. Those that attended there knew me as the Little Bruce Lee as I was one of those go all out sorta asian kids who knew kung fu...basically I was a brat who would pick fights with anybody. Although the head Sifu (Brian Lewadny) is/was a white guy when I attended, he had trained under one of the grandmaster Wing Chun Sifu's that not only taught Bruce Lee himself, but had directly learned from Ip Man too. You could consider Sifu Brian as a brother-from-another-mother of Bruce Lee if you'd like (and grandchild of Ip Man). As for the instructors at the academy now, I had actually trained directly with the main instructors there currently, Aaron and Frank. In fact, Frank only started a few months before I started. If I had only continued with my training, I would definitely have been an instructor of the art.

As others have said, including the OP, Wing Chun is purely a defensive martial art without a whole lot of show. It's also not meant as a "beat anyone up" sorta fighting style; it's merely designed to keep the attacker away from you in a defensive manner, wound them reasonably, and be able to escape with your shirt on your back. Also, Bruce Lee only learned Wing Chun in his younger years as a developing student, it wasn't the martial art that he continued with. If anyone's looking into more of an attacking Bruce Lee martial art, consider Jeet Kune Do instead.

Anyway, to this day, I still remember 80% of the forms and if confronted in combat, I would still be able to put my training into practice and likely still come out on top. It was also a great way of keeping fit...case in point, I had obtained an 8-pack when I was at a ripe ole' age of 13, unfortunately, it's now amassed to mostly just a 1-pack gut.

It's been a someone forgotten martial art in the Chinese culture; I'm glad movies like Ip Man came out to showcase the art again. OP, I would highly suggest taking Wing Chun for your defensive and fitness goals. Though remember, you'll need to commit at least 5 years of your life to be reasonably good at it and be able to use it in any combat situation.
    I like that you made the point about remembering the technique and form about the style and that you can still apply it in the real world today. I realize this will take a lot of time and idk if I'll be able to commit myself right now, but I will take it in the near future. Thanks for your input man, I truly appreciate it!

[i] he had trained under one of the grandmaster Wing Chun Sifu's that not only taught Bruce Lee himself, but had directly learned from Ip Man too. You could consider Sifu Brian as a brother-from-another-mother of Bruce Lee if you'd like (and grandchild of Ip Man). [/B]
    Oh gimme a fuckin break lol!

Chuck Norris is my uncle

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Originally posted by Tej.S
    I like that you made the point about remembering the technique and form about the style and that you can still apply it in the real world today. I realize this will take a lot of time and idk if I'll be able to commit myself right now, but I will take it in the near future. Thanks for your input man, I truly appreciate it!
    No prob! At least give it a shot for a month. Never hurts to try something new!

Chuck Norris is my uncle
    Take it for what you will, his biography is listed right on their website: http://www.wingchun-canada.com/about/sifu.html

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Chuck Norris is my uncle
    Dude, go cry elsewhere.

The Chinese cultural centre teaches Wing Chun too.

http://www.culturalcentre.ca/index.p...s-martial-arts

Anyone been there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast