Quantcast
Possibly a real race for Calgary's mayor position coming - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly a real race for Calgary's mayor position coming

My Ride
    You Crazy

Rutherford has some weird views. Doubt he would be better. He is old though.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Hahah Sugarphreak, yeah it will be a bike path (see pic in link)

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...ike-lanes.aspx

That street is already a cluster fuck during rush hour. Wonder how this will affect it.

Alot of reasons here why Nenshi is a bad mayor, but none for why Rutherford would make a good mayor. I haven't read any justification from his supporters as to why he would make a good or even better mayor then Nenshi. Other than being a popular radio host and journalist what has he done?.

What type of occupational or educational training does he have to make him a good leader or mayor?. Off the top of my head I can't think of even one leader, mayor or otherwise that has been a good leader, let alone elected, whose history has came strictly as a radio host/journalist.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Yes, lets go back to our right wing nut job roots with Rutherford.. ffs

All the morons in Calgary West who keep voting Rob Anders back into office will be on board I'm sure.. LOL

I don't understand the Nenshi hate. Didnt realize Beyond was a bunch of red neck nuts. Actually I did, nm.

Originally posted by BigMass
    I support his stance on sprawl and downtown urban development (music center, new library, turning downtown into a real center for business, residence and culture). Our Mayor is the envy of many cities, we have the strongest economy, and you can’t get through one week without another article about how great it is to live in Calgary and how it’s one of the best places to live not only in Canada but in the world. All this while going through one of the worst recessions in world history. Not to mention how proud i am of this city for finally shaking the "hick town" perception it's always had. I don’t foresee people rushing in droves to vote him out in the next election.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 06-05-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Are there any other candidates for mayor yet or just these two?

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by ZEDGE
    Yes, lets go back to our right wing nut job roots with Rutherford.. ffs

All the morons in Calgary West who keep voting Rob Anders back into office will be on board I'm sure.. LOL

I don't understand the Nenshi hate. Didnt realize Beyond was a bunch of red neck nuts. Actually I did, nm.

Lol. We agree on something. Tried to listen to his show a few times and just got frustrated with his views and attitudes. Scary imo

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by Toma

Lol. We agree on something. Tried to listen to his show a few times and just got frustrated with his views and attitudes. Scary imo
    Heh, its like listening to some Fox news shit. guy is a nut job. Hes like a male Ann Coulter.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I enjoy Rutherford's show, it's like listening to beyond threads lol. But no, he's not getting my vote.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 01:50 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    4x4

Bigger picture...

I'll vote for him for mayor, to keep him occupied and out of the senate... might actually cut some of the insane beauaucrats at silly hall...

because broadcasters in the senate have been awesome lately

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

I might be the only one here who likes the addition of bike lanes around the city

Calgary has enough fucking money and cars, I'm glad to have a mayor who is putting some emphasis on quality of living.
    Last edited by thrasher22; 06-05-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-20-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Not to mention that picture shows a 4 foot wide lane, this monstrosity the city is building is at least 10 feet wide...
    Actually it shows a 4.1m wide lane which yes, is at least 10 feet wide.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

WTF is this BS!! That is it, I think we the majority vehicle drivers need to start rebelling... bikes won't even use these lanes, they get too much pleasure holding up traffic, zipping by people on the shoulder, and then pulling in front of them at lights.

Not to mention that picture shows a 4 foot wide lane, this monstrosity the city is building is at least 10 feet wide... it completely took up the parking area and left lane, and the median has made the 2nd to edge lane so narrow cars sometimes can't fit by other cars.

I drive that street everyday, it takes me 20 minutes now to go 2 blocks... it is absurd!

According to Calgary Transit (which is probably horribly skewed in favor of transit) 33% of people drive while 2% of people bike

So how exactly is making 33 of of 100 peoples commute a bigger pain in the ass to ever so slightly improve the 2 of 100 people who bike improving the overall quality of living?

That isn't even pointing out the fact that it brings transit route on this street to a halt because the bus can't turn properly onto it anymore. Now it just blocks the entire street until enough cars filter through, this takes 1 or 2 light changes to happen. So you can add another chunk of people that you are inconveniencing to the mess.
    If you increase the availability and access to those services more people will do it. I think having to squish between two cars is a reason alone why most people don't want to ride a bike downtown.
    Last edited by Maybelater; 06-05-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Kind of my point... if other places can live with 4 foot wide lanes for bikes, why is Calgary building them more than twice as wide? Do we have a lot of obese riders or something?
    They are building them twice as wide because they will have people traveling in twice as many directions.

Most of these cyclists have no problem squishing a between cars that are 2 feet apart, why don't we make them that big?
    Because that isn't enough space for a cyclist to actually travel in between cars (unless you really don't like your side mirrors) so you can't make a bike lane that wide.

So let's go to 3 feet (which is narrower than the minimum width of 1.5m in most places), double it for the two directions, plus a mere 1 foot barrier instead of the 3 feet barrier and you'd be left with three and a half car lanes. Might as well just make the bike lane more comfortable and safe since you aren't really building these lanes for people who bike now as they don't have a problem pissing drivers. You're doing it for the people who say they would bike if it was safer and easier. Plus it separates cyclists from the cars at a safe distance reducing the stress for both parties as well as limiting

f) It is far more dangerous riding with traffic

snip

I do ride btw... but I stick to trails and sidewalks, no way I am risking my life on the roadway to make a point.
    If only there were ways to reduce the danger and risk...

My Ride
    something green

Not true, I don't ride my bike downtown for a number of other reasons:

a) It takes longer
    b) I can't ride in my dress pants and shirts
    c) It makes me sweaty and gross
    c.1) I know some people say "Oh but you can shower at work these days"... I could, but the showers are gross and refer back to a)
    d) This is Calgary, a sunny day can easily turn into a downpour
    e) Again, in Calgary the riding season is limited to 1/2 the year
    f) It is far more dangerous riding with traffic
    g) If I pick up a flu at work I am pretty much fucked for getting home
    h) Doing out of downtown appointments is pretty much impossible
    I) ....

Actually this list goes on and on... riding is not a practical way to get to work unless you live close by. I realize some people love spending their life commuting in creative and inconvenient ways to work, and that making other people suffer is of great joy... but I'd bet that most still don't.

I do ride btw... but I stick to trails and sidewalks, no way I am risking my life on the roadway to make a point.
    I could probably wrap my head around the crazy bike lane argument if I pulled up on 11 st se, or 7 st sw and I was seeing , I dunno 10 or 12 cyclists at the lights lined up every morning.. But when the bike count is zero, or at best 1, the whole program appears to be more anti car than about providing bike infrastructure, especially the way its physically implemented.
    I was at a building on 7 st last thursday at 9am, 4 big walls of available bike racks, number of racks used 0, and I would consider this peak riding season..
    Cyclists in Asian countries can coexist with pedestrians without incident, but for some reason not here.
    Too loud for Aspen

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast