Quantcast
Background info: Pipeline construction management interview - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Background info: Pipeline construction management interview

Default Background info: Pipeline construction management interview

Hey all,

Looking for some insight regarding the processes behind pipeline construction. I have an interview for an internship for a Pipeline Construction Management position and would like to have some background info to put everything into context.

If anyone has insight as far as what a company has to do regarding regulatory process, suitable land choices, different companies for different aspects of construction, and just the general procedure for pipeline construction that would be great!

Cheers

My Ride
    Grimace

You figure out where you want the pipeline to start and end, you give that to a survey company, they survey the route, you submit an application to the ERCB and possibly alberta environment, get licence, hire company to build pipeline, buy pipe, give ercb a notice of construction, build it, pressure test it and comission it

My Ride
    Silverado

Sounds like you will come on board after the line is approved. If I were you I would know. What a pipeline is. What is it made out of. How is it constructed. How is it inspected. How is it pressure tested. How do they move fluid. How are they maintained. Try to figure out who and what is needed for each of these.

From my experience with internship interviews. You get to ask the questions about what the job is. Ask them good ones. They will ask you lots of 'tell me about how....' type HR questions

Thanks for the responses! Dirtsniffer- I'll look into that, definitely good idea to know the technical side of things as well.

I will be talking with a friend of mine who is a PM for TransCanada to get some good info as well. I'll look around and see what I can find for answers for that stuff.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Nice, I was poking around the ERCB and searching the company to see what new filings they had, could only find recent info about tailing ponds for one of their operations. These regulations are some of what I was hoping to find.

Thanks again!

I've also found this site which gives a very general overview of the processes...

http://www.cepa.com/about-pipelines/...s#construction

Would like to find some actual engineering info behind methods and materials.
    Last edited by rinny; 06-08-2013 at 07:35 PM.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Sweet! Was able to access that book from the university library online and download any chapters that I want to look over.