Quantcast
obd2 scanner lend out? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: obd2 scanner lend out?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Default obd2 scanner lend out?

Does anyone have an OBD2 scanner that would be willing to hook a guy up on a scan?

Can meet at the wed night chinook meets or something...

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Should be a few peeps on here with one. I have one and live in the west end but might not make the meet.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

I've got a generic one from princess auto you can borrow, I don't have any obd2 cars at the moment.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Wicked, Thanks!!

I live in the NW (around Bowness), and can meet anywhere really for to scan.

Just usually at the wednesday night meets, so could be convenient for both of us.

Let me know though! Willing to buy you a case, lunch at the meet or whatever.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Word. Let me find it first when I get home this evening before I promise anything lol.

people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

I have one as well. If DeleriousZ can't find his I can help you out.

As a heads up as well, Auto Value has them and depending on the person at the counter and how busy they are, they do them for free. I have been told that the machine was broken, or out getting repaired before when they were busy, but I think that was just because the guy did not want to come out to the parking lot and scan it for me. You have to be able to get the car to auto value (although that does not sound like a problem) and they have to scan it for you, but they will tell you the codes, and if you need something, your already at the parts store. I used the free scanning at auto value up until I got my scanner from ebay about a year ago... Best $15 I think I have ever spent on ebay. lol
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

^ werd on AV. I did that twice before I bought one, and they were totally helpful. Obviously, their helpfulness depends on how busy they are.

I live up in Kincora, and would be happy to have you come up one evening to borrow mine if you like.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I live not from from Bowness so let me know how you make out.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by quick_scar
    I have one as well. If DeleriousZ can't find his I can help you out.

As a heads up as well, Auto Value has them and depending on the person at the counter and how busy they are, they do them for free. I have been told that the machine was broken, or out getting repaired before when they were busy, but I think that was just because the guy did not want to come out to the parking lot and scan it for me. You have to be able to get the car to auto value (although that does not sound like a problem) and they have to scan it for you, but they will tell you the codes, and if you need something, your already at the parts store. I used the free scanning at auto value up until I got my scanner from ebay about a year ago... Best $15 I think I have ever spent on ebay. lol
    haha wicked thanks!

Are they that cheap?
    Wouldnt you need some sort of program for it as well if you plugged er into a laptop or something?

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

The one I got is a wireless bluetooth one. It comes with a disk that has some bare bones software on it, but at the end of the day, it still tells me what the code is. Then I just used Google and found some other software that is more feature friendly. Software was a free download and gives me everything. All the sensor readings, error codes, etc.... Lets you save the errors out if you want to know what all the sensors were reading the moment the error was triggered, and of course lets you clear the codes.

My pathfinder likes to trigger a catalytic efficiency error every once and a while so it is nice to be able to just clear it without having to take it in.

The stand alone units are super expensive (~$150+) and I just couldn't justify the money. They are great if you are a mechanic or something and don't want to have to haul the laptop out to the vehicle, but for me as a DIY guy, the laptop is almost always with me anyways so I can Google stuff so it was a no brainer.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

I got the V1.4 and this is the V1.5. I think the new one is a little smaller then mine. This is the place I ordered from (same ebay store) and didn't have any problems. I can not speak to the quality of the V1.5. ($15 shipped to your door)

EDIT: removed link because I don't know if it is against the rules to post of not. PM me for the link. Sorry mods if I broke the rules.
    Last edited by quick_scar; 06-11-2013 at 08:24 AM.

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

I've got one as well, I plan on being at the meet. I'll throw it in the car if nobody else comes through let me know!

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Yeah I found mine so if you want to come and grab it, fire me a text at 403 ninetwothree 64ninefive.

I'd also look at picking one up for good, i got this one for $60 at princess auto on sale. Had it for years and it works pretty good for a generic scanner!

uhhhh you guys do know that part source and auto value both do free scans?
    dv/dt

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    I'd also look at picking one up for good, i got this one for $60 at princess auto on sale. Had it for years and it works pretty good for a generic scanner!
    This guy is on sale for $30*.
    Looks similar to the one I got for $40 a while back... simple but it works!

* Might only be available online. I'd call first...
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    14frs,06Tacoma,69Olds Vista Cruiser, 73VWwestfalia

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/C...ader/8454308.p

I'm picking this up Wednesday. It's in the flyer, so it should be at the store.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Originally posted by ZiG-87
    uhhhh you guys do know that part source and auto value both do free scans?
    Yeah, but sometimes the car is not running, or going into the store is a PITA. It is so nice to just have one and not have to worry about it.

Oh, agree for sure, I have one of my own that does some extra Subaru-specific stuff, but so many people don't know that they can hit those stores for a free scan if they can get there. Amazing how many people go pay the dealer $100+ to get told they had a loose gas cap..
    dv/dt

Originally posted by ZiG-87
    Oh, agree for sure, I have one of my own that does some extra Subaru-specific stuff, but so many people don't know that they can hit those stores for a free scan if they can get there. Amazing how many people go pay the dealer $100+ to get told they had a loose gas cap..
    Unless you are putting in a vin number into the tool you are going off global OBDII, any $30 code reader will give the same info.

When you pay a shop a $100 or more, you are not just paying to have the codes pulled. You are paying for a hours worth of diagnostics. All because it has a p0440 evap code does not mean the gas cap is loose.

When you plug a code reader in you are only reading codes out of the ecu, that is one module out of many that store codes you are not getting the full picture of what is going on with the car.

mmh, not in this case. There's a protocol called Subaru Select Monitor (http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/news/pr.../04_05_18e.htm) that does things like talk to the transmission/differential controller, check sensor calibrations etc. It's not part of the OBDii system but it uses the same port.

In any case, say you're a tech and you get a car in with a CEL and it turns out to be an evap code. Where would you start looking? First thing I'd check would be the gas cap. Now ask me how many cars I've seen come in, with a CEL, evap code, and "look at that the gas cap was loose. Tighten, recheck, gone. Kick it out and move on."

eh, maybe I'm just bitter.
    Last edited by zieg; 06-11-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    dv/dt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast