Quantcast
obd2 scanner lend out? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: obd2 scanner lend out?

Originally posted by ZiG-87
    mmh, not in this case. There's a protocol called Subaru Select Monitor (http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/news/pr.../04_05_18e.htm) that does things like talk to the transmission/differential controller, check sensor calibrations etc. It's not part of the OBDii system but it uses the same port.

In any case, say you're a tech and you get a car in with a CEL and it turns out to be an evap code. Where would you start looking? First thing I'd check would be the gas cap. Now ask me how many cars I've seen come in, with a CEL, evap code, and "look at that the gas cap was loose. Tighten, recheck, gone. Kick it out and move on."

eh, maybe I'm just bitter.
    What you have is a code reader that is CAN compliant. Every code reader sold in a year or two will be CAN compliant. There are two different sides to on board diagnostics, there is the global obd side then there is the manufacture side and they are very very different.

When I deal with a p0440 or any evap leak code, I plug the scanner in and shut the vent valve with it. Then I hook up the evap smoke machine up and fill the system full of smoke. If it is a loose cap, I will put the cap on correctly then force the evap leak monitor to run to make sure I have fixed the problem. After the monitor has run I know for sure the evap system is fixed and will not set another code. For that you are paying $130 and you are at the shop once not casing your tail in circles throwing parts at it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Maybe I'm a cheapass, but I'd like to tighten the cap at home, drive it for a day, and see if it throws another code instead of paying some tech an hour worth of time.

I have a generic code reader if anyone needs one around Mount Pleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Maybe I'm a cheapass, but I'd like to tighten the cap at home, drive it for a day, and see if it throws another code instead of paying some tech an hour worth of time.

I have a generic code reader if anyone needs one around Mount Pleasant.
    A cheap code reader is a really good investment.
    For a few dollars you can have a device that can point you in the right direction, can you diagnose and fix a problem with one, small chance. When it comes to code readers there is not much of a difference in between a $30 one and a $200 one they all get their info from the same place, Global obd is a government mandated system that has next to no info and a painfully slow refresh in it.

Have you looked at the criteria for a evap leak monitor to run? for most vehicles its, parked for 5 hours or more, start engine and drive for 20 min then a steady cruse for 10 min and the monitor will run. That has to happen for 40 times with out fault before the code will clear its self. That means the light will be for years, or if you clear it, it will take a few weeks for it to set again. See what I'm saying about chasing your tail in circles.

So what happens with you get a code for B1S1 HO2S low activity. You plug your code reader in and get a p0134. You google that and every one says that you need a o2 sensor. You try to be proactive and a good vehicle owner so you put both o2 sensors it (B1S1 and B1S2) You spend $600 on o2 sensors and put them in, the next day you get p0134 again. You get pissed off and take it to a shop. The tech looks at it and finds the air intake tube is not on correctly and is drawing in a bunch of unmetered air. So now you just paid the shop $100 to $150 to fix your car and you spent $600 throwing parts at it. I see this all the time, a poor man pays twice.

A code reader is a dangerous weapon in unskilled hands.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Clearly we'd all be better off taking our cars to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Clearly we'd all be better off taking our cars to you.
    My furnace broke two weeks ago. I spent a hour on google and realized I was way over my head. I called a hvac tech and paid him $300 so I can live in a warm house again. I know were my skill set lies. See what I'm saying?
    Last edited by HO2S; 06-12-2013 at 08:07 PM.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

My furnace broke and 15 minutes of google had it running again haha. It even had a blinking code. (dirty flame sensor)

I have no qualms with people trying to fix their own stuff, we're men we like to be independent if we have a choice.

I love my generic OBD2, I use it all the time for quick scans and can often diagnose a non-warranty issue without issue. Enhanced code and freeze frame is often enough with imports

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    My furnace broke and 15 minutes of google had it running again haha. It even had a blinking code. (dirty flame sensor)

I have no qualms with people trying to fix their own stuff, we're men we like to be independent if we have a choice.

I love my generic OBD2, I use it all the time for quick scans and can often diagnose a non-warranty issue without issue. Enhanced code and freeze frame is often enough with imports
    I agree with we are men and like to fix stuff. But what I'm saying is you have to know your limits.
    To be totally honest, imports are the worst with releasing info. You will get double the info on a code reader out of a gm compared to a mazda. Even in the manufacture vin specific side.
    Not even the greatest super tech could diagnose a lean code from a low reading maf sensor with a code reader.

Codes are set from a programmed algorithm in mode 6 of the pcm and are a far cry from what is actually going on. How many time does one problem set multiple codes in multiple systems? Freeze frame is known to record info a few milliseconds after the fault has actually occurred giving you false info and putting you in the wrong direction. There is a reason why real scan tools cost $10 000 to $15 000 and scopes cost $3000 and a code reader costs 20$ to 100$.

Automotive technology is advancing so fast that the customer is totally left in the dust and technicians are struggling to keep up. Its to the point that some vehicle owners cannot even put the correct oil in their car let alone diagnose a microsecond glitch from a crankshaft position sensor that does not set a code and can only be picked up by a $3000 scope and a person that knows how to use it.
    I personally own two code readers, and I use them to clear codes that I know I set preforming a certain task or service. I never use them to diagnose because I know I'm wasting the customers money and creating a bad reputation for the company that I work for.
    Last edited by HO2S; 06-16-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 12:48 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2