Quantcast
Nobody picked up on the Alberta Health Services board sacking? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Nobody picked up on the Alberta Health Services board sacking?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Nobody picked up on the Alberta Health Services board sacking?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...h-ahs-hth.html

I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, if they had been promised bonuses at the beginning of the fiscal year and they met their targets (which is a dubious claim as anybody in healthcare will say), they deserve the bonus.

Having said that, I know at the arms length gov company I am working at, there was serious pressure from the gov to limit bonuses to non-bargaining employees.

It's tough, but then again, in my uninformed opinion (with most information received from healthcare workers), I don't think AHS was doing a good job anyways... in fact, my opinion of AHS is from the get go it was a boondoggle in the making.

If there are cuts in all areas of govt why hand out bonuses? Don't listen to your 'bosses' advice? Expect to be fired.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

it is a publicity stunt, and they will probably be back on the job by the end of next week.

I am willing to bet the severance packages handed out to these ass clowns are going to be 3-5 times larger than their "Bonus".

Either way, getting 25% of your annual salary as a bonus would be fucking sweet, wish I got that at my job!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Lexus NX

I'm conflicted on this issue as I see the perspective from both sides.

From the public's side, it's bad optics to be handing out bonuses when the government is making cuts left right and centre to the public service sector.

However, from the AHS's perspective, it's unfair to pull back the bonuses this late in the game when they have already been promised as part of the employee contract.

How would you feel if your boss outlined 5 criterion that you must achieve in order for you to earn a bonus, only then to retract that at the last minute even though you've spent the whole year working hard to meet the required conditions?

I think the problem here is that the AHS shouldn't have set out conditions to pay out bonus to begin with. There'd then be no bonus to retract from the employees, as none were promised to begin with.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by spikers
    it is a publicity stunt, and they will probably be back on the job by the end of next week.

I am willing to bet the severance packages handed out to these ass clowns are going to be 3-5 times larger than their "Bonus".

Either way, getting 25% of your annual salary as a bonus would be fucking sweet, wish I got that at my job!
    In the article, it states they would NOT be getting paid their severance packages (that is what the Alberta government stated).

However, the healthcare workers I've been chatting with say that is a lie for publicity sakes.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

In the article, it states they would NOT be getting paid their severance packages (that is what the Alberta government stated).

However, the healthcare workers I've been chatting with say that is a lie for publicity sakes.
    Really? I'll have to talk to the nurses in the orthopedic ward here and ask them.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Smart move again by the PC party. Upcoming litigation will cost us more than the 3.2 millions (saved from pay-at-risk).....

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

To get a bonus, most of my larger scale companies I have worked at, you require 3 levels of performance.

Corporate (AHS)
    Personal (Boss)
    Divisional (Calgary or what have you)

In this case it would look something like this.

33.3% (personal)
    33.3% (Region - ?)
    0% (AHS)

So, you could conceivably get upto 66.67% if you and your region were superstars. Highly doubt region could even get up to 33.3%, but lets say for now you could.

If the board would have acknowledged the minister, and doled out 33-67-75% of the total, then that would have been ok right, look at the reviews above. But they didn't, they approved it 100% (correct my guess), so that is like a F.U. to mr. minister.

I have no knowledge, apart from 660 news. But that makes me an expert, right?

Gerry
    ----------------------------------

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I think it really depends on how the pay structure for these executives was structured. A lot of times the base salary is below market average with performance bonuses built it to encourage quality results. If that was the case then I hope these fired people sue the shit out of the provincial government for violating the contracts they signed. I suspect the bonuses were all laid out in black & white at the start of the year and included in the compensation package. Now, of course if these were just arbitrary amounts that some people came up with as a pat on the back after the fact, well that's a different story.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2006 speed6

They're not employees, they are board members. Therefore there is no severance - it's not just a publicity stunt.

And you should read it a little better, they were fired for not being willing to reduce the bonuses paid out to executives, not the board members themselves. They even refused to cut the bonuses for executives that didn't want them. Which is stupid.