Quantcast
US purchased Honda - getting warranty in Canada? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: US purchased Honda - getting warranty in Canada?

My Ride
    Busa

Default US purchased Honda - getting warranty in Canada?

I'm looking at buying a Honda Odyssey down in the US. The price differential is just ludicrous. A new Odyssey is $11,000+ cheaper down there than in Calgary.

One of my concerns is the warranty. I know Honda Canada doesn't honour US warranties, except it seems they do if you move from the US to Canada with your vehicle. I'm thinking about registering the vehicle down there and then importing it to Canada some time later. As far as I can tell it will cost me an extra $3,000 in state tax, registration and insurance but it might be worth it to keep the warranty.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this?

My Ride
    Vmax

I am in the same boat with Dodge. SRT8 challenger is $5-10000 less in Seattle. Used 2012 is the same price as a 2009/10 here.

Once imported into Canada and registered the warranty is void in both country's.

Maybe the same for Honda?

My Ride
    Ram

Voided

My Ride
    CBR 929

Its a Honda.

Honestly I think you will be fine reliability wise.

I have heard some people say you can have the work done here, pay the bill and remit to the US branch for repayment, or you could take the car back to the States to have the warranty work done at the nearest dealership. Can you buy it in a State that has no tax or cheaper sales tax?

Are you able to purchase one of those after market warranties from a private company? We had one on a new car that we bought in Canada but it went over and above the dealerships warranty for longer etc.. was only about 2K. You did have to pay a deductible each time for any work that was done but got the money back if you never used it, which we never did (and did get our refund).

Knocking on wood right now, on our third Honda and the only work that we have ever had to have done was a fan motor in the heater that was noisy(but worked fine) was replaced under warranty. The first two Honda's we bought new, owned for 10 years each, third Honda bought new and owned for 5 so far.

[url]

nothing in canada warranty wise

with our Chrysler srt8 we spent 7000 in the first 5 years on repairs

saved 20000 out of the 60000 price to get it. WORTH

Last edited by Seth1968; 06-15-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Here's a way to potentially save even more cash:

Although one of Honda's current mottos on its Canadian web site is "Working with Canadians", in reality the company would rather block your access to any U.S. preferential pricing by voiding your OEM warranty if you import one of their vehicles from the United States into Canada. If you still wish to purchase a product from this company, UCanImport suggests you request a discount from the U.S. dealership equal to the manufacturer's warranty allocation (which the manufacturer builds into the price of each vehicle) and purchase a third-party warranty instead.
    Source: http://www.ucanimport.com/Warranty_Policies.aspx

The site gives warranty information for other imported vehicles as well. Note that about half of vehicle manufactures will honor the warranty in Canada.

Here's some import tips:

http://carcostcanada.com/1/en/BuyingCarInUS.asp

BTW. On what grounds is a car manufacturer able to void the the warranty in such a circumstance?
    Last edited by Seth1968; 06-15-2013 at 07:38 AM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Seth1968
    Here's a way to potentially save even more cash:

Source: http://www.ucanimport.com/Warranty_Policies.aspx

BTW. On what grounds is a car manufacturer able to void the the warranty in such a circumstance?
    ^ That's a great tip.

I beleive they can get away with denying you waranty because technically Honda Canada & Honda USA are two seperate companies. If you buy a product from Honda USA, Honda Canada didn't make any money off you so why would they warranty your car.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 94boosted

^ That's a great tip.

I beleive they can get away with denying you waranty because technically Honda Canada & Honda USA are two seperate companies. If you buy a product from Honda USA, Honda Canada didn't make any money off you so why would they warranty your car.
    On top of that, I would assume cost of warranty would be higher in Canada due to low volume and higher labour rates.

My Ride
    W204

Warranty is voided on Honda's as soon as it crosses the border. If you're buying it from a dealership, ask about a third party warranty. My dad bought a new Odyssey back in '07 in the US and that's what he did. Never had to use it either, and they refunded most of it after the 5 years was up (that was part of the policy)!
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!