Quantcast
Any online cigar buyers here? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any online cigar buyers here?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

yeah, only got 10 of those since i havent had them before. i've had the edge a few times. its a nice smoke... have another in the humidor right now actually. its decent. really decent at $3.75/stick

Originally posted by woodywoodford
    How about these bad boys.. No idea what the guys selling them for, but god damn are they beautiful

If you want those boxes that can hold 100+ you can get a decent one at most cigar stores for $100ish. Make sure you buy a humidifier online possibly the nano beads. Also digital hygrometers are good. I bought a Xikar digital hygrometer online for 30 bucks I think. I also think that if I was to buy another humidor, I would buy one with a glass top. That way, I can see my digital hygrometer readings without opening the box

Also funny thing that happened to me a few days ago.
    I am a puncher guy than a cutter. I went to a cigar shop a few days ago to buy one to smoke and borrowed their puncher. Their puncher they lend me was around $20-30 but my $5 puncher works wayyyy better

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

im thinking about one of these for my next one... right now i just have a small one, which was fine for buying one off random cigars here and there... but once you get a box, it fills up a little quickly

http://www.canadahumidor.com/medium_...top_display_5/

here is my current one... its a little more empty since this pic

seriously glasstop all the way...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

yeah, my current is glass top... but the biggest issue is it cuts down on where you can stick stuff! cant stick my gel on the glass... so i have that compartment to the left which eats up a lot of space

errcchry you should give me some recommendations on Nicaraguan or Dominican cigars! I'm quite new to the Dominican collections. For cubans, I like RyJ, Cohiba, H. Upmann. I tried Thomas Hinds and it was not bad as well

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I'm still pretty new to them, basically i just ask the guys in bridgeland at the tobacco outlet what they recommend... haven't steered me wrong yet

Casa magna is pretty solid, some people don't let em, but i enjoyed the gurkha evil. I bought a box of the la aroma de cuba, which I've been smoking a lot of recently

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Dominican:

Don Lucas Robusto Maduro is a very affordable stick but difficult to find online. Smooth and consistent throughout with subtle hints of spice. The wrapper is a beautiful dark complexion with few visible veins and the ash is very white and firm. It also comes in a Legero with similar qualities but an airier draw and smoother taste.

La Aurora Rothschild is a perfect little smoke with the gauge of a corona or smaller robusto but the length of a petit corona. Incredibly consistent notes throughout and rarely a bad one in the box. Having aged them for 6 years, they truly improve with age. The dense draw provides a mouthful of rich, flavourful smoke that will linger on the palate for hours after you're finished. Although I usually pair with Cognac or Scotch, I last tried an aged dark rum which was a terrific accompaniment.

My all time favourite (I love the short stack):

Arturo Fuente Short Story - the tapered tip of this little powerhouse ensures an evenly lit stick every time. The feeling of the tanned, oily wrapper from the moment you pick it up is an indication of the sophisticated flavours you're about to discover. I usually taste mocha notes but accentuated by a slightly spicier, sharper finish. The size is perfect for a pre-dinner or poker game smoke that doesn't consume two hours of your evening. Finish is bold and punchy but it won't linger like lesser-caliber smokes.

Arturo Fuente is my favourite brand and having smoked at least a two dozen different labels from both Cuba and DR, I would say that it is no less superb than any top tier Cuban.

EDIT: I'm a long-time aficionado with two humidors chalk-full of smokes so if anyone's every looking for a cigar night, just PM me cause I just got married and can't smoke em in the house anymore.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 06-17-2013 at 04:43 PM.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Eric: if you can, try to separate the different cigars into separate sections of your humidor. If you don't have the space, at least use the separators to keep the legeros and maduros in different compartments because the wrappers contain most of the flavour and they'll bleed into each other.

Those little cigarillos on the left are taking up prime real estate in your box so I would suggest moving some of your higher end sticks into that compartment and then placing the cigarillos in a regular small box to keep the flavours intact (i.e.: cigarette box) and just placing them on top of the rest in the main compartment.

If anyone wants tips on a terrific cutter, box, lighter, etc, I can let you know because I've tried em all. Currently have 5 high-end cutters and some don't even compare in quality or consistency to the others.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by genesis0403

If you want those boxes that can hold 100+ you can get a decent one at most cigar stores for $100ish. Make sure you buy a humidifier online possibly the nano beads. Also digital hygrometers are good. I bought a Xikar digital hygrometer online for 30 bucks I think. I also think that if I was to buy another humidor, I would buy one with a glass top. That way, I can see my digital hygrometer readings without opening the box
    Those boxes look terrific but looks can be deceiving. A glass top humidor is nice because you have to keep in mind that every time you open your box you're losing the integrity of your artificial microclimate. In our dry climate, it usually takes about a day for your humidity level to recover so the less frequently you can open it the better. For that reason alone, I suggest a glass top since you don't have to open it to check your levels.

Do not ever, EVER trust the cheap analog hygrometer on the outside of the box. They are very finicky and often terrible made-in-china quality. I keep two different digital hygrometers in each box as they can vary by as much as 5%, especially if you have compartmentalized or stacked boxes like the one ercchry posted.

Finally, whatever you do, make sure you condition your humidor after buying it. You can find details online on how to do it properly but this is a critical step. Most cigar smokers are eager to get their sticks in the moment they get their humidor home but you will be doing the cigars more harm than good if you don't condition the box as the cedar will absorb the first batch of fluid and your smokes could easily warp or crack as they compete for humidity.

Isaiah awesome reviews and recommendations!!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Isaiah
    Eric: if you can, try to separate the different cigars into separate sections of your humidor. If you don't have the space, at least use the separators to keep the legeros and maduros in different compartments because the wrappers contain most of the flavour and they'll bleed into each other.

Those little cigarillos on the left are taking up prime real estate in your box so I would suggest moving some of your higher end sticks into that compartment and then placing the cigarillos in a regular small box to keep the flavours intact (i.e.: cigarette box) and just placing them on top of the rest in the main compartment.
    yeah, basically i have the divider there so the humidifier is separated... i was thinking about putting real cigars over there but they would be touching the humidifier and i figured that would make them a little uneven. so i sacrificed the al capones

the box looks a little different now. i have a few cohibas and they are grouped together. then my one offs are beside them and underneath that are the ashtons... which are individually wrapped in plastic

any of you guys have experiences with rocky patel 15th anniversary editions? I'm thinking of buying the robusto but I've been also looking at the Arturo Fuente Hemingway and Hemingway Classic as well. Thinking of buying a box. Any opinions as to which one I should go?

My Ride
    Indian Scout

I've smoked many Patels and actually met him at Big Smoke 2009. While never having smoked the particular cigar you mention, I do not generally find Rocky Patels anywhere near as smooth or consistent as the Fuentes.

In contrast, I don't remember ever having smoked a Hemingway that was less than excellent by all metrics. The Arturo Fuente Hemingway series are a sure bet and if you search online with reliable vendors, you can usually get a smokin deal on them. It is one of less than 10 cigar brands that I'll actually purchase by the box and in my opinion is by far the best bang for your buck.

awesome! cigarplace.biz seems to have good prices on the hemingways in boxes so I guess I'll go for that

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by ercchry
    I'm still pretty new to them, basically i just ask the guys in bridgeland at the tobacco outlet what they recommend... haven't steered me wrong yet

Casa magna is pretty solid, some people don't let em, but i enjoyed the gurkha evil. I bought a box of the la aroma de cuba, which I've been smoking a lot of recently
    That shop in Bridgeland is awesome. I bought a box there, although currently in my night shift state I can't remember what kind they are.
    -U

So for those of you cigarplace.biz shoppers, what do you ask to put for declaraton? The employee contacted me saying that i need to tell them what to put in for declaration and also the value

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Depends what you order. I just asked them for suggestions

I placed an order for a box of fuente. How are you all doing with the flood anyways

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast