Quantcast
Programming digital odometer - '99 4Runner (not rollback)! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Programming digital odometer - '99 4Runner (not rollback)!

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Thumbs up Programming digital odometer - '99 4Runner (not rollback)!

On my '99 4Runner the fuel gauge is faulty, it ranged from showing empty with a low fuel light (when the fuel tank is totally full), to showing half when the tank is empty.

This is a very common problem on these trucks and is well documented all over the web. There is a TSB from Toyota on how to repair this issue; it requires dropping the fuel tank to install a new sending unit (already done) and installing a new module on the back of the gauge cluster (not done yet).

The problem is once you install the new module the mileage on the odometer is reset to zero. In the US you are able to fill out a form from Toyota that states your vehicle's mileage, and Toyota sends you the new module with the correct mileage already programmed in. Unfortunately, this service is not available to Toyota Canada.

I am trying to find a shop that is able to take the current mileage from my gauge cluster once I've remove it, and flash it back in once the new module is installed. That way I can retain my trucks original mileage, and not make it a True Mileage Unknown vehicle. This truck has been family owned since new and is pretty mint, I am also a bit of a perfectionist and want it working perfectly.

I called Mr Speedometer and they do not work on import vehicles. Does anyone know of any such shops in the Calgary or Edmonton area, and if so what is the cost of this service?

Thanks!

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Very strange.

For the Nissan world, when we order new speedo's, the order is placed to the supplier Model Electronics out of Tennessee USA. They ask us the mileage on vehicle and input it directly at the warehouse before its shipped out.

I doubt any shop would be able to do this legally....
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

I just read the tsb. From what I grabbed it is a Canada only problem (I may be wrong but the tsb said Canadian market). When it comes to Canadian only models or Canadian only problems we really get the shit end of the stick when it comes to manufactures, apparently we don't buy enough vehicles so we don't matter.

In the tsb, when it came to the odometer being zeroed Toyota more or less said deal with it. That may be the case. From my experience with J-2534 programming (SAE protocol flashing). You can only put calibrations in modules and some very minor configuring. I've found imports are the least friendly when it comes to this. This is going to narrow out 98% of aftermarket shops. You are going to have to find a shop that has a Mastertech or TIS Techstream and the security software. That pretty much means you are going to the dealer. Toyota will not release the security software to most aftermarket shops plain and simple.

If Toyota cannot re-program your mileage into your old gauge cluster you will have to buy a whole new cluster to retain your mileage (what dj_rice was saying). The new cluster will have the updated parts in it and will come pre-programmed. You will pay more to keep the original mileage or pay less and deal with a zeroed odometer.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Thanks all for the information. I will contact Toyota tomorrow to get a quote on a new cluster and confirm that they are able to keep my existing mileage if I go that route. Much appreciated!