Quantcast
Calgary Alberta Floods 2013 - Re-entries slowly starting - Page 94 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 94 of 136 FirstFirst ... 84 93 94 95 104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2718

Thread: Calgary Alberta Floods 2013 - Re-entries slowly starting

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    It kind of pisses me off that they opened Banker's Hall Club today... ok so you want me to work from home and take twice as long to get things done, but the gym in the building is open?!?

So if I drove downtown to get a workout in at BHC that'd be ok... but if I drove downtown to get some work done that wouldn't.
    First world problems?
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by rage2
    Current Traffic:

http://goo.gl/maps/j5PqU

Deerfoot - gongshow
    Crowchild Southbound - gongshow
    Glenmore Eastbound - gongshow

Looks like something is wrong with Glenmore over the reservoir.
    There was a 4 or so vehicle collision right at the reservoir. I drove by around 9:05AM. Total clusterfuck. I was going other way, so no big deal. But by 9:15AM or so, the traffic was backed up from the reservoir all the way to Hwy 8.

All because people were gawking at the reservoir is my guess. Not paying attention...typical rear-ender chain...

Fucked the traffic in a hurry as usual.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Not sure if this is posted yet.

Anyone who was evacuated will have to get self assessment kits before they go their houses. Whole procedure is in the website below.

http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2013/...formation.html

For condo's and apartments the building management will do the assessment and once deemed safe then that's the time you can re-enter the building.

Anyone who doesn't have electricity, just be patient. Enmax is trying to get power up but safety is the primary concern. As long as you follow the package instructions and put up the sign on your door that could be seen then you have done your part. Just wait.

As well as homeowners who are worried about their utility bills. Don't call Enmax to close your account/s. There are no consumption charges anyways from the time the outages started and the admin and distribution charges will be looked at after all of the safety issues had been covered.

***Note that these procedures do change so check back on it frequently
    Last edited by DENZILDON; 06-24-2013 at 11:04 AM.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Stopped by the stadium, tons of people were there. Unfortunately they got all the volunteers they needed so I, along with hundreds of others were told "thanks, keep watching as there will be more opportunities."

Glad to see the city is getting such a huge turnout, I hope I can get in on another event. Nenshi was there, got a big reception from everyone, it seems like there is still a lot of work to do, but if people keep responding like this I can see the city getting back to normal very quickly.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Originally posted by finboy
    Stopped by the stadium, tons of people were there. Unfortunately they got all the volunteers they needed so I, along with hundreds of others were told "thanks, keep watching as there will be more opportunities."

Glad to see the city is getting such a huge turnout, I hope I can get in on another event. Nenshi was there, got a big reception from everyone, it seems like there is still a lot of work to do, but if people keep responding like this I can see the city getting back to normal very quickly.
    They needed 600 people, they think they got double that many people. Go Calgary!

My Ride
    Exploded.

From what I've read, the power grid should be fully lit downtown by tomorrow. The big substation 5 that serves east downtown got fixed this morning well ahead of schedule. All depends on your building when they fire up power again, if electrical to your building was affected by water. City expecting 95% of downtown to be operational by tomorrow.
    FUCK. YES. Good job, City of Calgary!

I hate Citrix right now...

My Ride
    Nothing

What are they doing with the c-train? The tracks look pretty wrecked in some pictures .... shuttle busses between stops?

Stampede Live Press Conference - Come Hell or High Water, Stampede is happening. Tons of heavy machinery fixing shit in the background. Parade is happening, route might change. Lost 10 days of setup time so far.
    So instead of spending time and resources to repair infrastructure and homes, let's spend it so a bunch of rednecks can get their drink on for a week
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

^^^ The city needs the income after all these shit happening.

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by M.alex
    What are they doing with the c-train? The tracks look pretty wrecked in some pictures .... shuttle busses between stops?

So instead of spending time and resources to repair infrastructure and homes, let's spend it so a bunch of rednecks can get their drink on for a week
    One word - "Morale"

That view is extremely narrow minded. Sure there is a lot of drunken debauchery, however the Stampede generates a TON of money for local business both big and small, canceling it this year would be a mistake.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    That view is extremely narrow minded. Sure there is a lot of drunken debauchery, however the Stampede generates a TON of money for local business both big and small, canceling it this year would be a mistake.
    Exactly. The Stampede news conference says that the event generates over $300m in revenue for city businesses, which means it will impact a lot of people. Think of how many businesses and employees lacked revenue to stay open when there was a NHL lockout.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    SH-AWD

+1 for Stampede happening. Morale, Income and a goal to focus on in what has been, and will continue to be, a stressful time for both individuals and businesses.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Same here. Drove out, and got a thanks for coming. That's alright though, there's lots to do I'm sure!

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Same here. Drove out, and got a thanks for coming. That's alright though, there's lots to do I'm sure!
    Nenshi was saying if you can't help today, reach out to those you know, or if you see anyone who needs help and offer to them.

Anyone on beyond need help? Everyone else I know made it out alright

jibber is offline slower than rage2 at the track
    My Ride
    2021 K1X FB20D GT Sport, 2012 K23 N50 VQ40 SV

A bunch of CPS, Fire and EMS as well as all of the other people responsible for our water, electricity and other utilities may be covered under your blanket term of "rednecks". Not to mention all of the real "rednecks" in Southern Alberta that have been affected more than most Calgarians.

My question is, even after dealing with all the sand-bagging, rescuing, 36-hour shifts and doing everything that's humanly possible to try and maintain our quality of life... you want to deny them a chance to let off some steam and have a little party with everyone to celebrate their success?

After doing what they've done for all of us leading up to Stampede this year, I hope they get free access to the grounds and I hope that not a single one of them finds their right hand without a beer in it for any length of time. I'll go down to the grounds and buy them all a round if I have to... it's the least I could do to thank them.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Nenshi was saying if you can't help today, reach out to those you know, or if you see anyone who needs help and offer to them.

Anyone on beyond need help? Everyone else I know made it out alright
    All my friends in Calgary are okay, and my parents place in Valley Ridge is good. I'm just eating lunch with my brother and we're gonna head out to a neighbourhood and see what we can do; even if it's pulling garbage from someone's house. Might as well help!

Stampede needs to happen. Simple as that.

My Ride
    oooo

Spent all day yesterday helping my buddy empty out his basement off of Riverdale Ave. Insane devastation there. Most of the houses are business owners (owner of Flames got flooded too across the street) and the cleanup for each house is about the same as 10x normal houses.

That being said when you have a little bit of money stuff gets done. Almost every home had large hydrovac trucks on the driveways pumping out basements. No sump pumps here. One house had 2 vac trucks running 24 hours straight and they still weren't done when I left. It was mind blowing to watch these massive pumps going 100% just dumping water non stop into the storm drain. A fueling truck was coming up and down the street to re-fuel them to they didn't have to shut down.

There is a ton of heavy equipment brought in and lots of retarded onlookers walking in and around picker trucks, waste bin trucks and behind daylighting trucks shooting pictures.

Nothing more annoying than walking out of the house with destroyed furniture and building products to have people on the driveway asking how much damage there is. It is so hard to navigate through there because the streets are packed with equipment and minivans full of families checking it out.

IMO this should be treated like a construction site. They should have temporary site fencing up and security at the entrances. You can't go walking around any other construction site so this shouldn't be any different.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

All my friends in Calgary are okay, and my parents place in Valley Ridge is good. I'm just eating lunch with my brother and we're gonna head out to a neighbourhood and see what we can do; even if it's pulling garbage from someone's house. Might as well help!
    Check out sunny side, it got hit pretty good. You can park up in crescent heights/rosedale and walk down the hill

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-20-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Page 94 of 136 FirstFirst ... 84 93 94 95 104 ... LastLast