Quantcast
Calgary Alberta Floods 2013 - Re-entries slowly starting - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 136 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Alberta Floods 2013 - Re-entries slowly starting

Default MANDATORY CALGARY EVACUATION: Mission, Elbow Park, Stanley Park, Roxboro, Rideau

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/city-issue...ties-1.1334012

The City of Calgary has declared a local state of emergency, due to the high river flows and heavy rain, and is asking residents in six neighbourhoods to evacuate.
    Residents in Mission, Elbow Park, Stanley Park, Roxboro, Rideau and Discovery Ridge are being told to evacuate immediately.
    People should find shelter with friends or relatives for the next 72 hours.

For those who have no where to go, reception areas have been set up at the Southland Leisure Centre at 2000 Southland Dr. S.W. and the Acadia Recreation Complex at 240 90 Ave. S.E.
    People should ensure that they take identification, prescription medications and other critical personal items with them.
    Crews are going door-to-door notifying residents and access to those communities will be prohibited after 3:00 p.m.
    Anyone with pets should also take them with them and if that is not an option, pets can be taken to the Animal Service Centre at 2201 Portland St.S.E.
    The city is deploying sandbags and temporary dams at key locations to protect property and infrastructure.
    Officials say that the water will likely come over the top of the Glenmore Dam and flooding will occur overnight.
    “The current data we have indicates that we will see a significant amount of water start to show up late tonight and through the nighttime hours into early tomorrow morning. At that time we do expect that we will have increased flooding that will be in the magnitude of the 2005 floods or greater,” said Burrell.
    The state of emergency was called just hours after the city activated their Municipal Emergency Plan earlier on Thursday.
    Citizens are reminded to:
    Stay away from rivers and creeks as the water is rising and moving quickly, and banks may be unstable.
    Avoid storm water ponds and storm drains, and do not let children play near them.
    Do not drive through flooded areas such as underpasses.
    If you experience basement seepage or overland flooding, call 3-1-1 to report.
    If you or someone else is in imminent danger, call 9-1-1. Remember that 9-1-1 is for emergencies only; please use 3-1-1 for reporting non-emergency issues.
    Monitor local media and City of Calgary messages.
    “We are asking Calgarians to avoid rivers and creeks. Move your valuables to a higher level, if you have things of value in your basement and you’re prone to flooding,” said Burrell.
    The Calgary Emergency Management Agency (CEMA) and its partners continue to assess the situation and will update as needed.
    There are a few detours and road closures in place and the city expects those to expand as the situation progresses.
    Officials have closed Elbow Dr S.W. at 4th and 5th St. due to the rising water levels in the river.
    Water services says that drinking water in the city is still safe to drink and the quality is good.
    The mayor was in Toronto on Thursday and is now on his way home to help deal with the situation.
    The city last activated the Municipal Emergency Plan in July 2012, when an explosion and fire at a downtown building shut down a number of services.

Does this mean the elbow is closed for rafting?

My Ride
    Silverado

life jacket might be a good idea.

Hope everyone is safe out there

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

I heard they mentioned the water might go over the Glenmore dam.

That's freaky!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Why bother with full community evacuations, when it's only the houses along the water that are the ones in real danger. Do the people who live 2 blocks away from the river really need to go anywhere?

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Does anyone know if the last time the city faced a situation such as this? I don't think I ever remember the rain being this bad.

Originally posted by whiskas
    Is your raft submersible?

My Ride
    R6///R50

Originally posted by whiskas

Sorry what?!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by superflychief
    Why bother with full community evacuations, when it's only the houses along the water that are the ones in real danger. Do the people who live 2 blocks away from the river really need to go anywhere?
    I imagine if if eroded enough to drop a house down the bank/into the river that you'd then be in danger of fires or gas explosions etc.

Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Looters? Water/sewer system going bye bye?

Originally posted by Tej.S
    Does anyone know if the last time the city faced a situation such as this? I don't think I ever remember the rain being this bad.
    Some years ago there were many areas of the city flooded
    I remember many streets being full of water like martindale saddleridge etc

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

05 was the last big one... they are saying the water level in the bow is twice what it was then

... the 05 one was probably the worse one for most of our life times

My Ride
    Hondas

Maybe I'm bad luck

I lived in Winnipeg for their flood of the century back in '97, moved here in '05 and now this...

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Room available if you've been evacuated and need a place to crash for the weekend: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...ostid=4140572.

My Ride
    G6

If they open the dam, it could very quickly get a lot worse.

God damnit. I'm in Ft Mcmurray and my Condo is RIGHT on the river with 2 vehicles in it. I was able to get one car out but my important car is stuck there in the parkade. I think I am fucked..

Originally posted by AudiPWR
    God damnit. I'm in Ft Mcmurray and my Condo is RIGHT on the river with 2 vehicles in it. I was able to get one car out but my important car is stuck there in the parkade. I think I am fucked..
    I was afraid the 135 was the one stuck there

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How much water is needed to take out the peace bridge?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by AudiPWR
    As was advised in the other thread you mentioned this in, call up City Wide and get them to get a parkade tow unit in there asap...

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Hmm maybe a nice beyonder could go to your condo drink your beer and take your car out for ya I was in WPG for that Flood in 97 I took a boat to work everyday lol
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

Page 1 of 136 1 2 11 ... LastLast