Quantcast
Calgary Alberta Floods 2013 - Re-entries slowly starting - Page 44 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 44 of 136 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Alberta Floods 2013 - Re-entries slowly starting

My Ride
    growls

There's 4 people at least that have died now in high river .. 3 men and one woman.

Originally posted by SilverRex

I Think there is no such thing as being too safe.
    so is everyone going to buy unimogs, shotguns and a supply of food in the case of an alien invasion?

Originally posted by codetrap
    I understand getting some bottled water just in case... But stocking up on food doesn't make sense. If the power goes out how are they going to keep it all fresh?
    at the shoppers, they are all out of ice lol

My Ride
    a tank

it could also be that with bottle water its easy to move around and in case the entire city needs to be evacuated.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    McKenzie meadows is gone... how the fuck is Chaparell Valley still around?

some guy yesterday who lives there was like... wait, no problems, we're higher than downtown...

I swear if the water rises 3 more feet, there will be no more valley
    I live in CV, and it needs to get significantly worse for it to even touch any houses here.

CV is much higher than it looks, and the majority of the community is not very close to the river.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Some people have just never experienced something of this magnitude before so they hoard and panic.

I've experienced blackouts with floods and boil-water alerts. It's an inconvenience but we're not isolated.

Any idea if we're near the high-water mark yet? I got a text from my neighbor that the water in the lobby is 2cm lower than earlier today... I am right by the Stampede grounds.

hopefully its crested.. but ctv says 48 hours till it starts to recedes

hopefully its crested.. but ctv says 48 hours till it starts to recedes

My Ride
    Grimace

3:30pm update
    Downtown core closes at 5pm
    State of Local Emergency Information
    Due to the volume of information and requests, we are unable to respond to questions and comments posted on this blog. If you require immediate assistance regarding the flood situation please contact 3-1-1 or if an emergency, 9-1-1.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Road Closure Information
    Evacuation information/maps/reception centres

3:30 p.m., June 21, 2013 - State of Local Emergency - Update

The City of Calgary remains in a state of local emergency due to significant flooding.

Mandatory evacuations remain in place for portions of several communities. The downtown core between 9 Avenue and the river from Macdonald Bridge to 14 Street W will be closed as of 5 pm Friday. There will be local traffic allowed only.

Enmax is working in conjunction with the Calgary Emergency Management Agency (CEMA) to restore power to affected areas when it is safe to do so.

A number of reception centres for evacuees have been set up at:

• Acadia Recreation Complex, 240 90 Ave. SE
    • Village Square Leisure Centre, 2623 56 St. NE
    • South Fish Creek Recreation Complex, 100 333 Shawville Blvd. SE
    • Central Memorial High School, 5111 21 St. SW
    • William Aberhart High School, 3009 Morley Tr. NW
    • St. Francis High School, 877 Northmount Dr. NW
    • Southland Leisure Centre, 2000 Southland Dr. SW
    • Centre Street Church, 3900 2 St. NE. This is a registration facility only, no overnight accommodation is provided at this facility.

The Canadian Red Cross has established a phone number to assist Calgarians with connecting to family members who have been displaced. Contact the Red Cross at: 1-866-696-6484.

The quality of drinking water remains very high.

The City is asking residents to limit water use, wherever possible in order to reduce their demand on drinking water treatment plants.

The very high river flows have resulted in high levels of silt and debris in the water coming into The City’s drinking water treatment plants. This silt is starting to slow down the treatment process, creating a growing load on the filtration processes. As a result, it is taking longer to treat the incoming water with presents a challenge to meet water demand.

The drinking water quality remains very high, and any help that Calgarians can provide by reducing the amount of water to be treated will help ensure that this quality can be met going forward.

The City asks that Calgarians limit water use as much as possible by following a few simple steps:
    • Limit showers to five minutes and keep baths shallow
    • Use washing machines and dishwashers only when absolutely necessary and only with full loads
    • Turn off taps when brushing teeth or shaving
    • Reduce toilet flushing

All Calgarians are asked to refrain from non-essential travel. Many roads, bridges and pathways around the city are closed or limited due to flooding.

At this time our bridges remain stable as they’ve been built on bedrock. The City has a high degree of confidence in the structural integrity of city bridges. Once the waters recede all city bridges will undergo a comprehensive engineering evaluation.

Staff at the Calgary Zoo have moved as many animals as possible to secure locations within the zoo. Two zebras have been moved to the zoo’s Wildlife Conservation Centre south of the city. All other animals remain at the zoo as of noon on Friday.

The Calgary Zoo will be closed for at least Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The City is asking all citizens to help the authorities who are responding to this emergency by observing these restrictions:

• Do not drive to or near affected areas unless you are involved in the emergency response. Extra traffic will prevent the authorities from responding quickly.
    • Pedestrians are asked to stay off all bridges.
    • Do not use the phone unless you are requesting help or reporting an important event. Unnecessary phone calls could overload the telephone system and limit the authorities' ability to communicate.

Call 311 for flood-related calls only. Call 911 in case of emergency.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Any idea if we're near the high-water mark yet? I got a text from my neighbor that the water in the lobby is 2cm lower than earlier today... I am right by the Stampede grounds.
    10 seconds ago, Global News said the Bow has still NOT crested.

Originally posted by Robnaldo

I live in CV, and it needs to get significantly worse for it to even touch any houses here.

CV is much higher than it looks, and the majority of the community is not very close to the river.
    Yeah, I was really surprised when I went down there, looked like there was no danger whatsoever.

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Is there any chance for sewer/storm backups in other parts of the city?
    Yes, Bonnybrook WWTP is completely flooded. All sewage from north of Glenmore passes by there. Until the order is given to allow untreated waste to enter the river they're gonna try. As of 15 min ago they were still operational.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    I love how all the water is gone, but the gatoraid, the juices, gallons of milk are still around...

I mean how many people even consume their daily requirements of liquids let alone water.

all of a sudden people want to drink water, or koolaid?

all the instant coffee was also gone lol
    haha I was thinking the same thing. I bought a couple bottles of water, like maybe 3L total worth, just in case a boil advisory comes out and we're lazy to boil water haha.

I figured worst case scenario, I'll buy some pop haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

I thought bonnybrook had big spill ways and was built for a 100yr flood.

There is no question the water quality will go down. Its just a matter of if/when it will get bad enough to declare a boil water advisory.

Why take the chance? Someone should bring in a fleet of trucks.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by Duckman

Canada Creosote used to have a plant on the south bank about where Renfrew is now and there was so much that soaked into the ground that it hit bedrock and flowed under the river to the north.
    Crazy, so the ground is being washed away by the plant and is bringing creosote with it hence the smell? I know there are already about 1000 things to be alarmed about but that sounds like a big deal, not like you can do anything about it I guess.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

jibber is offline slower than rage2 at the track
    My Ride
    2021 K1X FB20D GT Sport, 2012 K23 N50 VQ40 SV

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

the macs in Cranston just got three pallets of water

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by rage2

I hope that's not the mint one owner $30k s2k.
    I know exactly where that is, close to stampede. It is a lot used to store cars that were in accidents, so it won't be mint thats for sure. They always have cars with damage there. It's right behind the bodyshop on 17th by stampede.

Page 44 of 136 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast