Quantcast
Floods: How much to compensate people who take us in? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Floods: How much to compensate people who take us in?

My Ride
    Car

Default Floods: How much to compensate people who take us in?

I'm wondering what people figure the proper amount to offer people who've taken us in would be? I'm in the lap of luxury right now (staying at a friends parents place, and they've got "fuck you" money), but I still need to offer something when I leave eventually. What's the rate?

What might it cost you to normally feed/look after yourself?
    Will fuck off, again.

nothing. Seems a bit condescending to offer money unless they're complete strangers or if they're straining financially to help you out. The proper way to pay them back is to graciously thank them and be open to helping them when the time comes

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

If they have money like you said, may be just buy all the food, cook for everybody, offer to clean and all the other daily chores, when it's all done and over, take everyone to a nice dinner and then a nice gift to top it off.

My Ride
    Car

I was thinking 20 bucks a day should be good... but don't want to be a cheap ass haha.

Also, what's the etiquette about sleeping in, going out for the day/night, etc? ...this is my first time staying at someone other than direct friends, in case you can't tell.

Bottle of dom, clean their home, treat them to a nice dinner. I wouldn't offer them money if they are well off. Do something for them so you know their hospitality was appreciated.

Don't be out too late, it will annoy them if they are trying to sleep.

jibber is offline slower than rage2 at the track
    My Ride
    2021 K1X FB20D GT Sport, 2012 K23 N50 VQ40 SV

Frame them a picture and gift it to them. That way they can have a reminder of how they helped during the floods of 2013 and feel good about what they've contributed in our time of need. It'll mean more to them than any money would.
    Originally posted by RoseLover
    if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

Originally posted by lilmira
    If they have money like you said, may be just buy all the food, cook for everybody, offer to clean and all the other daily chores, when it's all done and over, take everyone to a nice dinner and then a nice gift to top it off.
    This x100!!!!

Offering cash to someone who's obviously willing to help out is almost insulting. Helping with stuff around the house is worth much more. And then even a card expressing heartfelt thanks is worth much more than any amount of money.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

More importantly, they are your FAMILY now. Treat them like what you would to your family from now on.

Originally posted by lilmira
    More importantly, they are your FAMILY now. Treat them like what you would to your family from now on.
    LOL, all this sappiness is starting to get a bit ridiculous

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

This x100!!!!

Offering cash to someone who's obviously willing to help out is almost insulting. Helping with stuff around the house is worth much more. And then even a card expressing heartfelt thanks is worth much more than any amount of money.
    Yup!

But I'd be wary of lilmira's advice though...

I would NOT expect anything from someone I am helping someone out like that, nor would I take anything, especially in the way of money... NOTHING!!! I am more the pay it forward type. If I helped you all I would expect is for you to remember that someone was there for you when needed and that you should be there for someone else one day should the need arise.

Now if I was the one being helped, I personally would do my very best to help around the house etc as much as possible and make sure that my presence is as little of a burden as possible to the people helping me. When it was all done I would simply ask them if there is anything I could do for them to thank them and if they need any money to help cover my costs. I would consider this to be a good excuse to throw a wicked BBQ for them though once I was back up on my feet!

It's weird I think differently whether I am the helper or the helpee, but I guess that is actually normal...
    Last edited by tirebob; 06-22-2013 at 10:56 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Lol, I can be a jerk to my own family. That may have come off a little too much than I intended. I mean inviting them over to your house once a while, stay in touch, give them the same help when they need.

Don't just say goodbye and see you later not after.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by tirebob
    I would NOT expect anything from someone I am helping someone out like that, nor would I take anything, especially in the way of money... NOTHING!!! I am more the pay it forward type. If I helped you all I would expect is for you to remember that someone was there for you when needed and that you should be there for someone else one day should the need arise.

Now if I was the one being helped, I personally would do my very best to help around the house etc as much as possible and make sure that my presence is as little of a burden as possible to the people helping me. When it was all done I would simply ask them if there is anything I could do for them to thank them and if they need any money to help cover my costs.

It's weird I think differently whether I am the helper or the helpee, but I guess that is actually normal...
    Nah, that's normal. I'm like that too

I don't expect anything when I'm helping others, but I try my best to return the favor if I'm being helped.

Pay it forward!

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Go get them a Marcato gift certificate....people with money love Marcato

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If I was offering my house to someone I knew I wouldn't expect a thing. You have it hard enough now dealing with everything going on that I would rather you put your money towards that.

That being said, once you're back in your place and stable I would say maybe get a nice bottle of wine or something as a thank you after the fact.

If its with random strangers, no clue, wine, gift card, take them to dinner, not sure.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Book a dinner out for them, or have their home cleaned, or a gift basket with wine, etc.

If they're good people they won't be expecting anything. Don't give them cash. Offer to help them in any way you can.

If you were my guest, your appreciation and safety would be compensation enough. I'm sure your hosts feel the same.

Originally posted by tirebob
    This.
    I'd vote for him. America may have a black guy, but we'd have captain fucking Kirk.

We took in my wife's family. Last night they helped us cook a delicious dinner, and today the mother in law wants to help us with our garden because she feels restless and loves gardening. I consider it a win-win.
    dv/dt

Originally posted by A790
    Book a dinner out for them, or have their home cleaned, or a gift basket with wine, etc.
    I see what you did there... but if someone stayed with you for 2 days and sent cleaners in return, would you not be offended? Either they imply that your home is dirty, or you should be scanning all your ceilings with a black-light.

I don't expect anything from my 4 guests.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast