Quantcast
General photography news - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: General photography news

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

TCS TV and DP Review aren't about generating Youtube revenue, they're essentially advertising for their core businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TCS TV and DP Review aren't about generating Youtube revenue, they're essentially advertising for their core businesses.
    TCS TV was 30 min long and didn't really serve to advertise anything IMO. They were some of the longest videos I have sat through where I didn't gain any information whatsoever by the end haha. DPreview's business IS advertising as far as I can tell, even moreso since Amazon bought them. I'm sure neither of them make any meaningful money at all from YouTube, they aren't after that money, whatever it is.

Makes me wonder, has anyone ever bought anything through a link on a third party website? I never have, nor do I know anyone who ever has. I go out of my way to visit the actual website (i.e. go to B&H myself instead of follow a link there) because I assume everything is a scam. Say you wanted a lens, would you follow a link on DPR to buy it on an impluse? I can't imagine that happens often at all but who knows.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-04-2018 at 10:19 AM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    TCS TV was 30 min long and didn't really serve to advertise anything IMO. They were some of the longest videos I have sat through where I didn't gain any information whatsoever by the end haha. DPreview's business IS advertising as far as I can tell, even moreso since Amazon bought them. I'm sure neither of them make any meaningful money at all from YouTube, they aren't after that money, whatever it is.
    TCS TV is brand recognition for The Camera Store itself, not advertising products. If you can very cheaply make videos that are associated with your business and hundreds of thousands of people watch, then I'd say that's pretty cheap advertising to make your store both better known and more reputable.

My Ride
    rally pig

TCS TV is brand recognition for The Camera Store itself, not advertising products. If you can very cheaply make videos that are associated with your business and hundreds of thousands of people watch, then I'd say that's pretty cheap advertising to make your store both better known and more reputable.
    This, TCS and even DigitalRev gained brand recognition by starting a youtube channel and creating frequent content.
    None of them had product links to their online store (although DRTV had some).

The camera vloggers are usually the ones with Amazon affiliated links. I've never bought anything myself either but I can see how a regular person could.
    Remember that the link does not generate revenue only by buying the linked product, but also other products that was browsed and added on the shopping cart started from that link.

I've never watched a youtube video for technical reviews (dont care at all about that) but mostly for entertainment and user experience which TCS and DRTV did a good job on IMO.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I've never watched a youtube video for technical reviews (dont care at all about that) but mostly for entertainment and user experience which TCS and DRTV did a good job on IMO.
    Agreed. I don't give a fuck about detailed controlled test results. I'm only concerned about usability in real world situations, which TCSTV did very well.

How do you get an idea of how it performs in real world situations though from a generic 1080p SOOC JPEG flashed on the screen of a YouTube video every once in a while? They mostly just take the cameras to a generic location, make comments about stuff they couldn't possibly know without very specific testing (and haven't done outside the videos either), and banter with each other using basic information from the manufacturer website. They also often have incorrect information in the videos. At the end of it all you haven't really gained anything unless you're entertained by that haha (which is fine). I think the purpose is not to educate but to raise awareness for their store rather than advertise specific products. I'm not knocking them for their entertainment value, they just don't really tell you anything.

DPR's business is solely advertising, so I guess they are hoping these two draw more people to their site and buy stuff through their Amazon links.

My Ride
    Bicycle

DPR's business is solely advertising, so I guess they are hoping these two draw more people to their site and buy stuff through their Amazon links.
    TCSTV ad revenue won't even pay for 1 FTE at min wage. And DPReview is drawing $4/yr at best.

So you are probably right, selling something is the only way to make $.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

How do you get an idea of how it performs in real world situations though from a generic 1080p SOOC JPEG flashed on the screen of a YouTube video every once in a while?
    When they comment on and test things like button/dial placement, ergonomics, controls, autofocus tracking, battery life, useful/missing features, etc that tells me a lot. Believe it or not, but not everyone needs to see raw samples of brick walls at 100% on their monitor.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

How do you get an idea of how it performs in real world situations though from a generic 1080p SOOC JPEG flashed on the screen of a YouTube video every once in a while? They mostly just take the cameras to a generic location, make comments about stuff they couldn't possibly know without very specific testing (and haven't done outside the videos either), and banter with each other using basic information from the manufacturer website. They also often have incorrect information in the videos. At the end of it all you haven't really gained anything unless you're entertained by that haha (which is fine). I think the purpose is not to educate but to raise awareness for their store rather than advertise specific products. I'm not knocking them for their entertainment value, they just don't really tell you anything.

I think you have to acknowledge that you're not an average consumer.

A lot of people value the opinion of someone with real shooting experience rather than caring about the all the technical details.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    When they comment on and test things like button placement, ergonomics, controls, autofocus tracking, battery life, useful/missing features, etc that tells me a lot. Believe it or not, but not everyone needs to see raw samples of brick walls at 100% on their monitor.
    Ergonomics are very subjective, AF performance needs detailed analysis to have meaning and is notoriously difficult to measure objectively beyond the manufacturers sensitivity ratings - especially during a first impression review where it's pretty much impossible to cover all relevant scenarios and comparisons, battery life is measured at a consistent standard and is in the press release, features are in the press release (TCS only ever covers the more basic features). I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't see how they offer any new or useful information, and the don't fact check their videos before publishing them. They basically just hold onto the cameras while they regurgitate the press release and website info - if people prefer that to reading, then that is totally fine. YouTube just isn't a great medium for camera "review" type info IMHO, and that is not unique to TCS. I don't know who would want to see 100% RAW comparisons as they would be useless via YouTube, and there is much better sensor data available from people like Bill Claff for those that want to deep-dive into sensor performance before spending $4K or whatever on a camera.

I would be much more interested in a video after 6 months of real field use where their opinions would start to carry some weight and they would have insights that went beyond the product website, but to my knowledge the do not bother with follow-up 'reviews'.

I think you have to acknowledge that you're not an average consumer.

A lot of people value the opinion of someone with real shooting experience rather than caring about the all the technical details.
    Agreed, I probably care about a lot of things the average consumer doesn't, but they don't need shooting experience for the videos they make. They pretty much just hold onto the cameras and regurgitate very basic website/press release info, fire off a few snaps, and TCS is not unique like that, there are tons of "first impressions" and "review" videos on YouTube that do the exact same thing (and not just for cameras). I just think YouTube is not a good medium for evaluating something like a camera, especially if you aren't going to do any comparisons or use it for any significant length of time before offering opinions.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-04-2018 at 04:21 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sooooo...Sigma's 105 1.4 pricing is out....$600 USD less than the Nikon variant.

https://fstoppers.com/gear/update-pr...ng-here-252443
    Ultracrepidarian

Sigma's price looks great, haven't seen any proper reviews yet but if it's about as good as Nikon's version, that's a good deal.

Fuji also introduced a cool looking camera recently, the X-T100. $899 w/15-45 and $749 body only. 24 MP (bayer filter finally), PDAF, wifi, bluetooth, articulating screen, built in flash, same VF as the X-T2. The 4K is a joke at 15fps but I doubt many people buy Fuji's for video. Considering that's what cameras like the RX100 III/IV cost, that seems like a lot of value. Now that I carry a drone with me everywhere I am considering a second, smaller body for traveling.

DJI Mavic Pro 2 and Mavic 2 Zoom announced today.

You can finally get a 1" Sony sensor on a Mavic, so I will be buying one to compliment or replace my Mavic Air.

- 1" (Sony) sensor with 28mm lens and F2.8-11 aperture
    - Omnidirectional obstacle avoidance
    - 8KM range with 1080p video feed and Occusync 2.0
    - 31min flight time
    - Quiet props
    - 72 KM/h top speed
    - Active Track 2.0 and all the other modes from the Air
    - 1mm, 8mm, and 16mm larger in each dimension than the original Mavic Pro, so not too much bigger.
    - 905g (171g heavier than the original)
    - 4K/30P 10bit 14EV HDR video, 100Mbps, H265
    - $1949 CAD

Zoom model is 24-48mm but sadly still uses a 1/2.3" 12MP sensor. $1689 CAD
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-23-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Sony FE 24 f1.4 GM... only 1400 USD... 1899 CAD.

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/c...WIDEANGLEPRIME

Surprised a GM lens is less than 2k. Maybe I can sell my 28 f2 to help fund this.

Long rumored and no surprises, but Panasonic announced development of their FF cameras today, as did Fuji their 50MP MF rangefinder.

The main issue with the Panasonic I believe will be that they don't use PDAF in any of their products, and nothing I can see suggests their FF DSLR will have it. They specifically mentioned portraits & landscapes in their press release though, so I doubt it's intended for anything that moves.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Does anyone know if the Panasonic FF L-Mount will have an adaptor to use the m43 G-Series lenses?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

No idea, but it would be pointless. m43 lenses aren't designed for full frame sensors so the image would end up being cropped anyways.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I want that MF Fuji rangefinder so bad but god damn that is a pricey unit. Guess I'll stick with film!

Speaking of film, Kodak just relaunched Ektachrome in 135 with Super8 and 16mm to follow, they plan to expand to a 120 release if it proves popular.
    https://petapixel.com/2018/09/25/kod...-now-shipping/

Checked out the Sigma 105mm at Yodobashi the other day, pics do not do that thing justice. It's a behemoth! Also fooled around with the Sigma Quattro cameras - no insight on image quality, but the design is pretty neat and it handles pretty well despite the design being only slightly less brickly than an Argus. EVF was total garbage, sadly.

My Ride
    rally pig

the Fuji GFX 50R is definitely more my style of shooting, if only it wasnt so expensive. hopefully in 2-3 years then we might be able to afford it.

even the X-T3 is surprisingly a great camera, AF is much bettter than the X-T2, snappier, more accurate and less hunting.. tempted to jump ship again lol.

thoughts on the Zenit M camera? basically a rebadged M240.
    4-5k euro for a russian camera

My Ride
    rally pig

The Camera Store has the Z7 to play with if you guys are contemplating going mirrorless

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast