Quantcast
General photography news - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: General photography news

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default General photography news

I guess we can add non-Nikon and non-Canon photography related news here.

Fuji releasing a couple new firmwares for the X-Pro1 and X-E1. Next month's upgrade is gonna be a good one.

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n130625_03.html

Fujifilm announces X-Pro1 and X-E1 firmware updates to offer faster AF and the addition of a “Focus Peak Highlight” function
    June 25, 2013

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) today announces the release of two new firmware updates for the FUJIFILM X-Pro1 and X-E1 compact system cameras, one on 25thJune and a further one on 23rd July. The upgrades will provide improved AF performance for all FUJINON XF lenses and, amongst other benefits, will add a 'Focus Peak Highlight' function for manual focusing.
    New Firmware release dates:

— 25th June 2013
    — 23rd July 2013

1. The contents of the firmware update on 25th June:
    FUJIFILM X-Pro1 Ver.2.05, FUJIFILM X-E1 Ver.1.06
    1) Additional functionality to allow “one-handed” camera operation
    a) A 'Focus Frame Selection' option has been added to the 'Fn' (function) button.
    This offers easier/quicker operation when setting the Focus Frame Selection using only your right hand.
    b) A second 'Fn' style functionality can be allocated to the selector “down” button
    This enables you to allocate a function to the selector “down” button. The default setting is 'Focus Frame Selection' but this can be changed to whatever suits your shooting style.
    2) Enable aperture control for the lens without an aperture ring
    (XF27mmF2.8 / XC16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS)
    If you are using either of the above lenses which do not feature aperture ring, this firmware update allows you to adjust the aperture setting by using the command dial.

2. The contents of firmware update on 23rd July:
    FUJIFILM X-Pro1 Ver.3.00, FUJIFILM X-E1 Ver.2.00
    1) Improvement of AF speed
    Improves AF speed on all existing XF lenses, thanks to the updated algorithm throughout the full range of focal length.
    Lenses covered:
    XF14mmF2.8 R / XF18mmF2 R / XF35mmF1.4 R / XF60mmF2.4 R Macro / XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS
    <NOTE>
    The AF Speed on the XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS lens has been already optimized.

For all lenses other than the XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS, the firmware for each lens must be also updated.
    2) 'Focus Peak Highlight' function for manual focusing
    The 'Focus Peak Highlight' function, which features on the X100S and X20 cameras and was well accepted, has been added via this firmware update. It assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.
    3) Improvement in 'Checking Focus' operation: how to change magnification ratio in manual focusing
    The process to check focus by selecting a 3x or 10x manual focus magnification has improved. Just press and rotate the dial right or left and the camera will alternate magnification by 3x and then 10x , whichever way you turn it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Fuji also announces the new X-M1 camera, even smaller than the X-E1.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/press/new...?newsID=880459

My Ride
    Depends on the day

No vf

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Voigtlander is discontinuing the Bessa A-series:

http://www.pdexposures.tv/voigtlande...-discontinued/

New Sony RX100II and RX1R

RX1R basically unchanged except they dropped the AA filter. $2799

RX100II is a little more interesting, new 20MP BSI CMOS sensor. Samples @ ISO 3200 look surprisingly good. Claimed 1 stop improvement over the old sensor. NFC Wifi and new screen added as well. $750 ($50 more than RX100). Still tough to get excited about given the other mirrorless options, IMO, but if you love P&S cameras that is probably as good as it gets right now.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-27-2013 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I've recommended the RX100 to multiple people who want a nice camera, but want it to fit in a pocket and be user friendly. They all love it.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by blitz
    I've recommended the RX100 to multiple people who want a nice camera, but want it to fit in a pocket and be user friendly. They all love it.
    What's great about RX100 as compare to, say, other pocketable mirrorless cameras? I used to own a GF1 with a 20mm prime and I absolutely love that and it's low-light capability. I regret selling it.

I am searching for a pocketable camera (with a prime?) with great low-light capability without breaking my wallet. Is the RX100m2 the solution?

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by HiSpec

What's great about RX100 as compare to, say, other pocketable mirrorless cameras? I used to own a GF1 with a 20mm prime and I absolutely love that and it's low-light capability. I regret selling it.

I am searching for a pocketable camera (with a prime?) with great low-light capability without breaking my wallet. Is the RX100m2 the solution?
    Buy my GF1 for $100..

X-M1 looks cool, but does it focus?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

In a couple days Sigma will be announcing a FREE Mount Conversion Service, making changing brands easy without having to replace your glass, so long as it's Sigma. Pretty good idea for a 3rd party lens manufacturer IMO. If they keep making lenses like the 35/1.4 & 18-35/1.8 along with their famous macros, people may buy more of their lenses if they can freely change brands to stay on top of camera technology without having to worry about switching lens systems.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah Sigma is on a roll with their lenses lately. A 18-35 f/1.8 zoom is amazing and a rumoured 24-70 f/2 would be insane!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    In a couple days Sigma will be announcing a FREE Mount Conversion Service, making changing brands easy without having to replace your glass, so long as it's Sigma. Pretty good idea for a 3rd party lens manufacturer IMO. If they keep making lenses like the 35/1.4 & 18-35/1.8 along with their famous macros, people may buy more of their lenses if they can freely change brands to stay on top of camera technology without having to worry about switching lens systems.
    That's actually really cool. Not just about keeping old lenses, but buying used ones. There's been more than a few times when I saw a good price on a lens but it wasn't the right mount.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

That's actually really cool. Not just about keeping old lenses, but buying used ones. There's been more than a few times when I saw a good price on a lens but it wasn't the right mount.
    Good point on the used stuff, if they are willing to swap a mount even if you aren't the original owner, you will have WAY more selection on the used market.

I'm looking forward to their 24-70/2 OS if it's anything like the last 2 lenses they released. Going to be pretty tough to Nikon & Canon to match that.

My Ride
    rally pig

GX7 announced
    Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX7 Key Features

16 megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor that achieves both high resolution and high sensitivity image recording with minimum noise
    Venus Engine features an advanced noise reduction systems featuring Multi-process NR (Noise Reduction) and Detail Reproduction Filter Process that enhances the limit resolution
    Contrast AF System which excels in both speed and accuracy by exchanging digital signal between the camera and the lens at max. 240 fps
    High Speed Burst Shooting at 5 fps and max. 40 fps using an electronic shutter
    1/8000 sec shutter speed which is the fastest ever in a Panasonic LUMIX G series camera
    90-degree tiltable LVF (Live View Finder) with 2764K-dot high resolution and 100% color reproduction
    Optical Image Stabilizer (as effective as the MEGA O.I.S. in the conventional DSLM lenses) is built in the camera body, which makes it more enjoyable to mount classic, manual focus lenses
    Two separate dials on front and back offer direct control over aperture, shutter speed or exposure for smooth manual shooting experience
    9 functions can be assigned (5 in tab and 4 with button) for quick control
    Full HD 1920 x 1080, 60p (60 Hz) / 50p (50 Hz) video recording in AVCHD Progressive and MP4 with stereo sound
    Creative Control mode with a total of 22 fascinating filter effects which includes Creative Panorama, Time Lapse Shot, Stop Motion Animation and Clear Retouch
    Panasonics dedicated application software Panasonic Image App for iOS / Android smartphones/tablets allows user to remotely control the camera and easy file sharing

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-gx7-announced/
    http://www.superadrianme.com/2013/08...-and-iso-test/

My Ride
    rally pig

oh an also the new Leica m43 lens
    Leica 42.5mm f/1.2 Nocticron (terrible name IMO)
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

with built-in OIS

Couple things about the Sigma mount conversion service:

1) It's expensive ($80-250) PLUS shipping.

2) It doesn't apply to all lenses, only the following:

17-70/2.8-4
    35/1.5
    30/1.4
    18-35/1.8
    120-300/2.8

Morrorless:
    19/2.8
    30/2.8
    60/2.8

Not nearly as awesome as all the rumors suggested, but I guess it's better to have the option than not at all. All said and done, I bet in most cases you're still better off selling and re-buying after shipping and taxes are added on top of the base cost.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-01-2013 at 08:57 AM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by taemo
    oh an also the new Leica m43 lens
    Leica 42.5mm f/1.2 Nocticron (terrible name IMO)
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

with built-in OIS
    First thing I thought was, what the fuck is a Nocticron?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

New firmware announcement for various Fuji cameras:

Fujifilm Launches Firmware Update for Flagship X-Pro1 Camera
    http://www.fujifilm.ca/press/news/di...ews?newsID=179

Fujifilm Launches Firmware Update for the X-E1, X100s and X-E2 Cameras
    http://www.fujifilm.ca/press/news/di...ews?newsID=180

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by blitz

First thing I thought was, what the fuck is a Nocticron?
    Any updates on the Nocticron? Looks like a big fucking lens (by m43 standards). I guess it's the price you pay for f/1.2.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    New firmware announcement for various Fuji cameras:

Fujifilm Launches Firmware Update for Flagship X-Pro1 Camera
    http://www.fujifilm.ca/press/news/di...ews?newsID=179

Fujifilm Launches Firmware Update for the X-E1, X100s and X-E2 Cameras
    http://www.fujifilm.ca/press/news/di...ews?newsID=180
    I just love Fuji's support on their cameras.
    have to say that the X-Pro1 had the best button layouts of all cameras that I've used to (Fn1 as ISO), shutter dial and aperture ring it was almost perfect and to be honest I ended up using the EVF alot more than the OVF but who knows maybe with this new update it will work great again.
    I hope Fuji comes otu with a FF X camera soon

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by taemo

I just love Fuji's support on their cameras.
    have to say that the X-Pro1 had the best button layouts of all cameras that I've used to (Fn1 as ISO), shutter dial and aperture ring it was almost perfect and to be honest I ended up using the EVF alot more than the OVF but who knows maybe with this new update it will work great again.
    I hope Fuji comes otu with a FF X camera soon
    I don't love it. The other way to look at it is that Fuji fucked up the release of the X-Pro1 and X-E1. Seriously. I am still not sure how they could've released the X-E1 as is when it first came out (can't comment of the X-Pro1 as I haven't tried one yet). The AF on it was so bad in indoor environments that any $100 camera, heck, even a SMARTPHONE could outperform it.

It was almost like they spent 99% of their R&D time and budget on perfecting IQ and then someone realized on the night before release date that maybe they should look at the AF system.

As for FF, I ask, WHY?!? The IQ on their current crop sensors can handily outperform many DSLR's. FF is pointless; it's a relic of film and it's not like Fuji (unlike say Leica) has some huge history so super lenses that half the world is dying to use. Instead, manufacturers should be working on getting the BEST image quality out of a sensor while using unique ways to do it (like the 41MP sensor in the Lumia 1020), and then developing smaller and ever faster optics to match.
    Last edited by clem24; 12-03-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast