Quantcast
OFFICIAL: 2013 - 2014 NHL thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 33 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: 2013 - 2014 NHL thread

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default OFFICIAL: 2013 - 2014 NHL thread

Congrats to the Blackhawks for hoisting the 2013 cup. Was an awesome series to beat Boston.

So here is the official 2013 - 2014 NHL thread.

To start it off...

So, there seems to be a glut of good goaltenders this year available on the market.

Bryz has been bought out.

Lou wants desperately out of Vancouver

Sooo many UFAs

Who do you see as the top 2 available goalies, and where can they go?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Exploded.

The Flyers need to rebuild or else they'll be the Flames of the East.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Can't wait to see the Torts era in Vancouver. Ditzy media combined with an angry torts.. Pure gold.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    Can't wait to see the Torts era in Vancouver. Ditzy media combined with an angry torts.. Pure gold.
    It's gonna be funny seeing the sisters get bitched at.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Torts in Vancouver is either gonna be a really good thing or a really bad thing. There will be no middle ground.

That said, I've always liked his snarkiness with the media. They really do ask a lot of stupid questions.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Torts in Vancouver is either gonna be a really good thing or a really bad thing. There will be no middle ground.

That said, I've always liked his snarkiness with the media. They really do ask a lot of stupid questions.
    I couldn't imagine dealing with the same 6 questions every single day for 8 months straight, I'd get pretty tired of it pretty quickly and definitely get snarky lol.

people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Vinny bought out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423

LIGHTNING TO BUY OUT REMAINDER OF LECAVALIER'S CONTRACT

The Tampa Bay Lightning are parting ways with their longest-serving player, as the club will buy out the rest of Vincent Lecavalier's 11-year, $85 million contract.

"Vinny has been a significant reason for many of our past successes, including the 2004 Stanley Cup, and his contributions to the community are immeasurable," said general Steve Yzerman in a statement on Thursday. "The Lightning organization is indebted to Vinny; we thank him for all he has done here and we wish him well as he moves forward.

"After much internal deliberation, we believe this will prove to be a pivotal move for us as we strive to achieve our long term goal of competing at the highest level, year-in, year-out. The economics and structure of the CBA are necessitating this decision and we at the Lightning are excited at the newly created opportunities this presents to us.".

A compliance buyout of the the deal - paying out a total of $32.67 million - rids the Lightning of a $7.727 million salary cap hit through the 2019-20 season.

Lecavalier, 33, had 10 goals and 32 assists in 39 games last season.

He spent his entire 15-year NHL career with the Lightning, scoring 383 goals and 874 points in 1,037 regular season games and helped lead the Lightning to their first-ever Stanley Cup victory in 2004.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Man, these guys getting their contracts bought out can retire now!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by flipstah
    Man, these guys getting their contracts bought out can retire now!
    I'm pretty sure the money would stop if they retired, just as it would even if they weren't bought out.

I'm loving all these buyouts. It's a wake up call for shitty management handing out all these long-term, expensive contracts.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Huge buyouts. I understand there are cap issues, but man... Vinny was still producing.

Top goalies: Luongo is likely the best goalie available, but teams won't want to give up much to get him and his contract. If he does get bought out, expect huge interest.

Should Thomas wish to play this season, he would also be a very strong candidate if he doesn't get forced to play for NYI. (I believe they could force him, since he chose not to play last season)

A team might even want to take a chance on Nabokov.

There are a bunch goalies available but they are typically pretty average, or backup material.

I think at least short term that Torts will be good for Vancouver. I think the team needed a shakeup and to have a "harder" coach that forces them to play a more intense game. Whether this is beneficial in the long run, who knows.... but I for one am tired with seeing this amount of talent get ousted in the 1st round of the playoffs for two consecutive years now.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm pretty sure the money would stop if they retired, just as it would even if they weren't bought out.

I'm loving all these buyouts. It's a wake up call for shitty management handing out all these long-term, expensive contracts.
    I thought when you get 'bought out', you become a UFA so aren't you free to do whatever you want, including retirement?

Time for Contracts 101 right now!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by flipstah

I thought when you get 'bought out', you become a UFA so aren't you free to do whatever you want, including retirement?

Time for Contracts 101 right now!
    Yes they're UFAs but they're still getting a yearly salary from their old team. They get 2/3 what they would be making if they were still with the team, not one big lump sum. So in Vinny's case, he'd normally be making $10M a year if he was still with Tampa Bay but now he's "just" getting $6.7M a year from them (plus whatever they make with their new team).

If he retired as a TB player, he'd get $0 a year. Now that he's bought out and if he retired, what's 2/3 of $0?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Yes they're UFAs but they're still getting a yearly salary from their old team. They get 2/3 what they would be making if they were still with the team, not one big lump sum. So in Vinny's case, he'd normally be making $10M a year if he was still with Tampa Bay but now he's "just" getting $6.7M a year from them (plus whatever they make with their new team).

If he retired as a TB player, he'd get $0 a year. Now that he's bought out and if he retired, what's 2/3 of $0?
    Gotcha.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Huge buyouts. I understand there are cap issues, but man... Vinny was still producing.
    Yeah, he was producing but not at the numbers a guy with a $7.7M cap hit should be making. FFS, Lee Stempniak had the same number of points he did with only one less goal

Besides, why would they need him? They got Stamkos now.

NHL.com has a buyout tracker haha
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

I think it's so funny how teams are using up both their buyouts now haha

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Scott Gomez hey? That's a surprise...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    Scott Gomez hey? That's a surprise...
    Where have you been for the last 6 months? Habs were gonna sit him out for a whole season until the NHLPA stepped in and complained so the NHL allowed buyouts at the start of the season. He's been with the Sharks all season. Same thing happened to Redden too.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

I took the year off of hockey because of the lockout.

Last edited by beyond_ban; 07-03-2013 at 12:31 AM.

So in Vinny's case, he'd normally be making $10M a year if he was still with Tampa Bay but now he's "just" getting $6.7M a year from them (plus whatever they make with their new team)
    Apparently he gets $8M upfront in bonuses, then $24.5M over the next 14 years.

I don't know how to embed Tweets :P

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

I don't believe that is true. Yashin is still being paid by the Islanders and he has retired from the NHL and hockey.

They are still required to pay out the contract regardless what the player does.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work

Says nothing about if they retire. And since Bryz is going to be paid till 2027.. You honestly think he is going to play for 14 more seasons?
    Last edited by lasimmon; 06-27-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 11 ... LastLast