Quantcast
OFFICIAL: 2013 - 2014 NHL thread - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: 2013 - 2014 NHL thread

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Good memory!! Glad you at least got him back.

Oh no no, I can't remember that guy, he knocked me the fuck out.

I meant a guy in CAHL Div D (before we got moved up) shoved me from behind while I was in line with the goalie net near the end of the game, (Non-contact league for those who don't know). And I barely saved my set of teeth, my wrist was bruised for about a month from bracing the hit thankfully....

So I turned and he tried to skate away, so he got punched in the back of the head. No fight though ref stopped that

Agree, rage cage the guy... no helmet... or gloves..... lol jk, good on you for holding your calm though

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Neat GoPro video, referee's POV, from a recent AHL game:

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

@ Kessel

Originally posted by toyboy88
    Neat GoPro video, referee's POV, from a recent AHL game:

Awesome vid!! Nice find!!! I love hearing the banter between players and refs. They need to do one without the bleeping though. That's one of the things I really miss about playing..

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Dion re-signed for 7 years @ $49M. Ouch!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440077

MAPLE LEAFS SIGN PHANEUF TO SEVEN-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION

On the eve of the NHL's Winter Classic, the Toronto Maple Leafs have announced the signing of captain Dion Phaneuf to a seven-year contract extension.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported over the weekend that the deal pays him a total of $49 million.

"This is a very proud day for me and my family," said Phaneuf in a statement. "I'm very honoured to be the captain of this historic franchise and to maintain the opportunity to play and represent the Toronto Maple Leafs for many years to come. We have passionate fans and a dedicated ownership group. I have great teammates and look forward to growing with them and achieving our goal of winning."

Phaneuf, 28, has been captain of the Maple Leafs for the last four seasons - shortly after being acquired in a trade with the Calgary Flames in 2010. He was set to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Phaneuf's extension includes a modified no-trade clause, which begins in Year 1 of the extension so he has no protection until the extension kicks in. According to Dreger, one of main stumbling blocks in Phaneuf's negotiation was determining the number of teams on his acceptable trade list - which is more than 10.

In 639 regular season games, the veteran blueliner has 110 goals and 355 points with 851 penalty minutes. He's played 261 games of those games with Toronto, scoring 35 goals and 127 points.

Signing Phaneuf keeps another one of the Maple Leafs' key players in the fold for at least the next five seasons.

The club signed winger Phil Kessel to an eight-year, $64 million contract extension at the start of the season and re-signed centre Tyler Bozak to a five-year, $21 million last summer. Free agent forward David Clarkson signed a seven-year, $36.75 million contract with the Maple Leafs on July 1, while wingers Joffrey Lupul and James van Riemsdyk are locked up with long-term contracts through the 2017-18 season.

"Dion is our team leader and has been a pillar in our building process," said general manager Dave Nonis in a team statement. "He has proven to be a very durable and reliable defenceman in all facets of the game. He plays big minutes in every situation for us and we're pleased to have him under contract for the next seven seasons."

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Not a bad price in todays NHL economy, about the same value as 5-5.5 million a year 2 or 3 years ago. But 7 years? Too much

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Originally posted by btimbit
    Not a bad price in todays NHL economy, about the same value as 5-5.5 million a year 2 or 3 years ago. But 7 years? Too much
    $7M/year too much for him IMO.

Quote from 'top' comment on the TSN article:

Doughty...7.0/year Keith....5.5/year Seabrook...6.5/year Petrangilo ...6.5/year Karlson...6.5/year What is Nonis Thinking? Phaneuf doesn't come close to being worth 7.0 a year. He is Slow at age 28. Imagine him at age 33 or worse 35. COME ON MAN!!!!

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

I think he is worth every cent. Playing 25 min/game on the PK, PP and always on against the top line and still a +13 on a team that allows more goals than scored. Sure he is slow but so was Scott Stevens.
    Once the cap jumps to $71M you will see the money fly.

Man watching teams in the East is brutal....its crazy how big of a point differential there is this year between east and west.

They should do a lottery and re-draw which division/conference each team plays in each year or two...would make things a whole lot more fair IMO.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by Type_S1
    Man watching teams in the East is brutal....its crazy how big of a point differential there is this year between east and west.

They should do a lottery and re-draw which division/conference each team plays in each year or two...would make things a whole lot more fair IMO.
    So you are proposing a realignment every 2 years?

Who cares about travel, scheduling, and everything else right.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

So you are proposing a realignment every 2 years?

Who cares about travel, scheduling, and everything else right.
    Yeah, it is a pretty ridiculous idea, but his point is valid though. the point differential between East vs West is huge.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

What do you mean? you do a lottery in advance so you can plan 2 years down the road. If the people who are running the league can't figure out schedules and travel 2 years in advanced there is a problem with the people running the league...haha

So we do a lottery this year at draft time for reallignment...you literally draw balls out of a bucket...then 2 years from now (2016/2017 season) that is the new division. 2 years down the road you do it again.

This would make hockey a lot more exciting for me. The east is currently just brutal so something needs to be changed.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by Type_S1
    What do you mean? you do a lottery in advance so you can plan 2 years down the road. If the people who are running the league can't figure out schedules and travel 2 years in advanced there is a problem with the people running the league...haha

So we do a lottery this year at draft time for reallignment...you literally draw balls out of a bucket...then 2 years from now (2016/2017 season) that is the new division. 2 years down the road you do it again.

This would make hockey a lot more exciting for me. The east is currently just brutal so something needs to be changed.
    Have you thought about why the conferences are setup as East/West?

Why teams like St.Louis/Detroit/Columbus were bitching when they were in the West?

We all know its the same argument of "travel time, time difference and them having long road trips away from family".

Truth is as an organization they know that they have a better shot of making playoffs with the current gongshow set up since statistically it is easier to make playoffs in the east. This results in more $$ into the organization and a better chance you will have a larger fan base.

Maybe instead of asking a non-value adding open ended question you should say "the reason why it is set up this way is because...."

I just wanted to open an intelligent discussion on how to address the issue of the east being an easier division to make play offs. Travel time would be felt by all teams if there was a lottery set up and make the league more exciting and sure have me paying attention to more teams. If you have a different suggestion lets hear it....I would love to hear how other people feel this problem can be solved.

My Ride
    NC1

It's like basketball right now lol the raptors will win the division with less than 40 wins lmao
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

personally, I would like to see that eact team plays every other team in the league an equal amount of times.

I know, I know, conference rivalries and crap, but whatever.

if it gets implemented, each team will have virtually the same travel expenses, so it renders the argument null. And it also ensures that the true top 16 teams make it into the playoffs.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

^ I would agree with that spikers. Would make a much more exciting league if you ask me. I could honestly care less how many times Calgary plays Edmonton. I like hockey for a good game, not the jersey which the opposing team wears.

My Ride
    Exploded.

That usually means more games so either its a longer season or more games per week.

They are going to be battered.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Team Canada Roster:

GOALIES
    Roberto Luongo
    Carey Price
    Mike Smith

DEFENCEMEN
    Jay Bouwmeester
    Drew Doughty
    Dam Hambuis
    Duncan Keith
    Alex Pietrangelo
    PK Subban
    Marc-Edouard Vlasic
    Shea Weber

FORWARDS
    Jamie Benn
    Patrice Bergeron
    Jeff Carter
    Sidney Crosby
    Matt Duchene
    Ryan Getzlaf
    Chris Kunitz
    Patrick Marleau
    Rick Nash
    Corey Perry
    Patrick Sharp
    Steven Stamkos
    John Tavares
    Jonathan Toews

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...d=nhl:topheads

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

"The bigger news might be the players who were not selected to go to Sochi. Among them are five players who were on the 2010 team in Vancouver and were invited to Canada's Olympic orientation camp in August: Eric Staal (Carolina Hurricanes), Joe Thornton (San Jose Sharks), Dan Boyle (Sharks), Mike Richards (Kings) and Brent Seabrook (Blackhawks).

Among the other top candidates who did not make the final roster are Martin St. Louis (Lightning), Claude Giroux (Philadelphia Flyers), Logan Couture (San Jose Sharks), Taylor Hall (Edmonton Oilers), James Neal (Penguins) and Corey Crawford (Blackhawks)."

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast