Quantcast
Sold car, private sale - Issues after the sale - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sold car, private sale - Issues after the sale

Default Sold car, private sale - Issues after the sale

I already know the answer to this, but just looking for some advice/ similar experiences..

So about a week ago, I sold a car on Kijiji to a guy in Red Deer, he emailed me saying he had cash ready and that he was wondering if I can hold it for the day so he can come take a look at it, I replied saying yes and gave him my availability for the day. Through out the conversation he mentioned paying with a personal check and instantly it was a red flag so I told the guy I am not selling it to him unless he brings cash, don't bother coming don't waste my time. He keeps emailing me saying he's serious and I keep ignoring them. I get a call later on the afternoon some another guy saying he's gonna come look at it, next thing you know its the previous guy using his friends phone.

So whatever, he's already at my house so I figured I'll show him anyway. We end up chatting about the car for almost 2 hours, including 15 minute test drive, and him and his friend thoroughly checking my car inside out. We discussed the issues with the car, and some issues he believes he found that could cost him money down the road. Long story short we agree on a sale price, he gives me the money, I sign over the registration to him and he is on his way back to Red Deer.

A week later, today, he sends me a text saying that he needs an inspection done on the car as his insurance company requires one done in order to insure the car and that he will come back to Calgary to have me get it done and only then he will consider the sale "finalized". So that's when I'm thinking to myself, OK as far as I'm concerned the sale was finalized the moment he gave me the money and drove off with the car...

I message him back telling him that I am not responsible for the inspection, especially after the sale, as that was his responsibility if he wants the car inspected before purchasing it. He then messages me back saying he realizes that but he needs me there for the inspection and that he will pay me back once everything checks out and again consider the sale finalized.

I already know that it is not my responsibility to get him an inspection, nor do I need to be there. I don't want to be a dick and just ignore him, but I also don't want him showing up at my place making a scene either.

He did not raise any issues with the condition of the car itself but he is raising issues over the fact that an inspection was not done. When I sold the car to him, he pointed out issues with the car that I didn't know about, and I wasn't too sure if he was telling the truth or just using those theories to lower the price of the car, but in any case he kept enforcing the fact that he owns his own shop, and that he considers himself a knowledgeable mechanic.

So that being said, what can I do in this situation? I am sensing he wants his money back, but I am not going to do that especially since its been almost a week since the sale and I have no idea what he would of touched or done to the car within that time..

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Default Re: Sold car, private sale - Issues after the sale

Originally posted by simonseys

So that being said, what can I do in this situation?
    Tell him to enjoy his new car, and not to bother contacting you again. It is a good thing he is a knowledgeable mechanic with a shop, he will have no trouble passing a simple inspection.

My Ride
    4x4

You're asking or venting about kijidiots?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Explain to him what you just explained to us.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    R33

Some people on Kijiji are f'ing retards..

You're being too generous by even CONSIDERING the shit that he's feeding you.

Tell him to F off, the sale is closed.

Edit: Check if this douche has a Costco card before you tell
    him to F off, he might be useful to me.
    Last edited by XXXXXX; 06-27-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Originally posted by AndyL

You're asking or venting about kijidiots?
    Both. I was so confused when I received the message, I told him exactly what I am explaining here and I don't think he gets the point. I was really confused when he said he will consider the sale final when it passes an inspection... but the car is already sold to him! AND I already have the money!

Like I said I'm just trying to be nice so he doesn't show up at my house trying to make the situation ugly is all.. I think I'm just going to ignore him
    Last edited by simonseys; 06-27-2013 at 01:25 AM.

My Ride
    R33

He can show up at your house all he wants, he's got nothing
    going for him. It's not even like you sold him a car with a
    salvage title or a blown head gasket (87-92 supra).

People off Kijiji are leeches and will suck you dry and try to save
    every penny even if it makes them look ridiculously stupid.

Cool, well thanks for the input guys, I gonna just repeat what I've told him before

/rant

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Like I said I'm just trying to be nice so he doesn't show up at my house trying to make the situation ugly is all.. I think I'm just going to ignore him
    If he keeps harassing you and comes to your house just call the cops. That will put an end to it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You have all this guys info right? I would mention to him that you consider this to be harrassment, and that if he contacts you further, you will be contacting the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ This. There is nothing he can do. Insurance inspections are 100% his responsibility. So for him to expect anything from you past the sale is horseshit.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Get the app call control or call blocker
    Enter his phone #
    Deal finalized.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

X2

Explain one more time if not tell him you will be getting the police involed (hopefully you back checked the info on the bill of sale against his drivers license).

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

You don't have to deal with it, I had a guy who bought a bike from me try and return it a couple weeks later, saying that is is weak (it's a 225) I told him I didn't care. He said he was going to get a lawyer so I said go ahead . He also thought it had a warranty from me as well...
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    You have all this guys info right? I would mention to him that you consider this to be harrassment, and that if he contacts you further, you will be contacting the police.
    This. Then actually follow through with it.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Just a side note:

Here's how it went with my first (and probably last) experience with Kijiji:

I was selling a really nice HP laptop with a new installation of W7. In capitalized bold letters, I write, "No emails or texts, and I'm FIRM on the price. Please call...". Within minutes, I start to get texts on my basic flip phone such as:

"What lowest price?"

"You trade for iphone?"

"I give 150. You take?"

That went on for about 20 texts until someone called and simply said she'd buy the laptop, but she couldn't buy it at that time.

Turned out, she was a student that worked part time, and wouldn't have the money for a couple of weeks. She asked if I would hold it, and I reluctantly agreed. She never called back on the date agreed.

Last edited by Seth1968; 06-27-2013 at 08:46 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Default Re: Re: Sold car, private sale - Issues after the sale

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Tell him to enjoy his new car, and not to bother contacting you again. It is a good thing he is a knowledgeable mechanic with a shop, he will have no trouble passing a simple inspection.
    100%. Don't respond to him any longer.... he sounds like a shady motherfucker. If he is in the auto industry, he knows damn well how this all works.

He's not harassing me, not yet at least but he kept saying finalizing the sale after the inspection.. I kinda figured I'm gonna be telling him to pound sand

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Just tell him the sale is finalized and you'll conisder any further communication from him to be harassment and will contact the police to report it.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Default Re: Re: Sold car, private sale - Issues after the sale

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Tell him to enjoy his new car, and not to bother contacting you again. .
    Yup. Done. Close the thread.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast