Quantcast
HELP: Rx8 engine problem - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: HELP: Rx8 engine problem

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Haha i like the old trick, take off a vacuum line while its running, stick it in a bottle of atf. Had a friend's swap engine arrive from japan with a stuck apex seal. Ran like ass, did that, after about 10 minutes of smoking out the neighbors, it ran like a champ, and continued to for years. Ahh, mazda just doesnt make them like they used to =(
    The old ATF trick!

If you do a search you'll find how to's on this trick. Again it's kind of a last ditch effort. I've seen it work first hand as well though.

If you're Mazda and you're replacing as many motors as they are, you're going to try and find EVERY way possible to mitigate this. Step one is to refuse warranty to anyone that hasn't kept a thorough service record. Now not all dealers may be this way. I mentioned earlier my story where one dealer denied warranty because owner did their own maintenance and the next had no issue with it so....

You're at a bit of a crossroads. What you need as mentioned is a Mazda compression test. That will help you greatly to make the next few decisions about what you want to do going forward.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

The old ATF trick!

If you do a search you'll find how to's on this trick. Again it's kind of a last ditch effort. I've seen it work first hand as well though.

If you're Mazda and you're replacing as many motors as they are, you're going to try and find EVERY way possible to mitigate this. Step one is to refuse warranty to anyone that hasn't kept a thorough service record. Now not all dealers may be this way. I mentioned earlier my story where one dealer denied warranty because owner did their own maintenance and the next had no issue with it so....

You're at a bit of a crossroads. What you need as mentioned is a Mazda compression test. That will help you greatly to make the next few decisions about what you want to do going forward.

I think he should just see if its obviously missing compression on a side before proceeding to pay mazda to do a test. If its chuff, chuff, nada....its fucked.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

I think he should just see if its obviously missing compression on a side before proceeding to pay mazda to do a test. If its chuff, chuff, nada....its fucked.
    I've done the "home compression test" myself about a zillion times. It works in a pinch, but it's just not that reliable, I've been fooled by it, others have been fooled by it. If this is going to be a warranty replacement issue, it's gonna need at Mazda test anyways.

For me the $150 Mazda charges for the real test is worth the definitive answer it provides.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I've done the "home compression test" myself about a zillion times. It works in a pinch, but it's just not that reliable, I've been fooled by it, others have been fooled by it. If this is going to be a warranty replacement issue, it's gonna need at Mazda test anyways.

For me the $150 Mazda charges for the real test is worth the definitive answer it provides.
    Yah, by the sound of it, its a completely dead seal and should be fairly obvious, but i guess nothing beats the peace of mind of a compression test

****UPDATE

My vehicle is pronounced dead by the dealership, engine compression is close to nil. Right now I am waiting for them to file a claim from mazda to see if I will get this fixed under warranty.

My car is still under the 8year/160,000km power train warranty. But the service guys are telling me it is unlikely they will stand up to their warranty. I will go through other forms of claims if this is the case.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
    ****UPDATE

My vehicle is pronounced dead by the dealership, engine compression is close to nil. Right now I am waiting for them to file a claim from mazda to see if I will get this fixed under warranty.

My car is still under the 8year/160,000km power train warranty. But the service guys are telling me it is unlikely they will stand up to their warranty. I will go through other forms of claims if this is the case.
    Shitty. Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed Mazda decides to warranty the engine. Is there anyone who's gone through this with Mazda that can offer some advice?

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

From what I've seen it will be a fight. Covered, if all oil changes were done at the dealership. Case closed. You did all of your own? or had someone do it?, a fight but in the end with the proof like oil and filter receipts/documentation/lube store receipts, they will cover. No receipts, or proof= No way. You will set a precedent if you do get it covered....Best of luck though.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ There was a thread on this exact issue a few years back, and I believe the above mentioned situations are the ONLY way anything will be done.

If owner did work and did NOT keep receipts, then hes probably SOL.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

^^ From what I have read on RX8club in the last 5 years, no record of oil changes = no warranty. Its actually very simple.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    ^^ From what I have read on RX8club in the last 5 years, no record of oil changes = no warranty. Its actually very simple.
    Yea thats really unfortunate because there probably are major RX8 enthusiasts who religiously kept their car but didnt bother with the lube paperwork ... only to end up getting "the lube" .
    Last edited by revelations; 07-12-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Well honestly every Rx-8 owner has to buy engine oil on a regular basis, just for top offs.
    It has never crossed my mind to keep the oil receipts and now its biting me in the ass.

I am expected a total loss but worth a shot at fighting it
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

But to be fair, that's not unique to Mazda warranty. . Every warranty is like that.... You need to prove that regular maintenance are completed as required.

I agree. I mentioned earlier if you're Mazda and you're replacing as many motors as they are, I can understand the need for proof of maintenance history.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

As of right now I cannot get the warranty work done on the car, how much do you guys think I can sell the Rx8 for with a blown engine. Keep in mind the body of the car has hail damage, but everything else on it works well.

To replace the engine I think is around 4k (with labor I believe). I am not sure if this is worth it on my end to do or sell it cheap as is.

How much do you guys think I could sell this for?

Uhh I've been quoted 6+ with labor. If they are willing to do it for 4k all in you should jump all over it. Otherwise, what year/mileage/options etc?
    dv/dt

I think the quoted price is before sparks/coils/wires. They were telling me that is separate in the bill, which costs around 700 in parts alone (stealership pricing, I didnt believe it myself).

2006, GT, 6 speed, 125k km, red ext, red/black leather interior, everything standard of a GT.

Published labor time to R&R the engine is 13.3 hours.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7