Quantcast
HELP: Rx8 engine problem - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Rx8 engine problem

The last two posts illustrate exactly the issue. I know two RX-8 owners who have owned since new, are completely non mechanical, non hands on owners. Both have never had a single issue whatsoever. Mirroring the experience by Team_Mclaren.

However I know there are many owners out there like rotten, who's experience has been the exact opposite. Unacceptable.

I owned a 2005 Mazda 3 from new, nothing special just the daily driver for a few years. I dealt with Northhill, and Sunridge Mazda, both were brutal. In fact I sold the car privately with 50k kms on it to a nice very pregnant women. Who when she took the car to Northhill was told that because the previous owner (me) did a single oil change myself that the warranty was void. This despite the fact I had given the new owner in the record book the receipts for the oil and the filter and I had bought the filter from Northhill Mazda. A few angry phone calls were made, Northill stood it's ground, and ultimately the new owner took the car to Kramer with no issues. I was shocked! I vowed to never own a Mazda product that woul require their dealer network again. Can you imagine telling a mom to be her new car with only 50k on the clock has no warranty because a single oil change was not done at the dealer, even though there were receipts and the filter itself was bought from YOUR dealership? Completely unacceptable.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Ferrari

I love my Mazda's and I've owned a new one. But I'll never return to Kramer. They are more than happy to sell it to you, the second something goes wrong, no matter what it is, they will find ANY REASON to weasel out of warranty. I donno if anything has changed in the last 7 years, but I'll never return.

OP Needs to drop in a 20B if his engine is pooched. Or an SR20. I think that would be sweet.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

***update***

My car is still at the dealership, I am taking my time on making my decisions.

The dealership is charging me 130 for diagnoses that I already had done with a mechanic friend. And I have informed them the results already (cylinder 1 misfire). Compression test would be an additional charge of 150.

I really want to keep my budget as low as possible since my car is really not worth much (hail damaged previously).

Replacing the spark plugs total cost 360 including parts/labor. As for the coils, thanks to 5G_celica as he will be giving me his old coils so I can test to see if it is the coils causing issues.

Would any other shops do spark plug changes for rx8's at a lower cost than 360, I know its is easy to do myself, but it requires a good lift or jack stands...

Also, what is the cheapest towing company to get my car towed about 20-25km?
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Sorry, but no mechanic will take a customers word on "diagnosis." It sounds like you are confused as hell. If I were you, I would have the dealer do the comp test. If results are ok, have them change the plugs - the job is half done from comp test, just need to swap the leading plugs after. Drive the car home and have your mechanic friend change the coils (can be done from above quite easily) and then sell the car haha.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My recommendation is to have the compression test done. That info will eliminate one big factor.

Or, tow the vehicle back to your house, replace the plugs and coils yourself, and cross your fingers.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 07-04-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Ferrari

Compression test or no test. I'm very surprised the technician isn't recommending this. Okay. Maybe I'm not surprised.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

I would get your coils scoped. By scoping and graphing the coil primary and secondary circuits. You will hit three birds with one stone. Poor current ramping on the primary side will tell you the coils are worn. A short firing line on the secondary side will tell you the plugs are worn. And low kv volts on the secondary side will tell you compression is low. Takes about a half hour in total and you have a good picture of how the engine is running and you havent even taken out a spark plug. And yes this will work on piston and rotary engines.
    Last edited by HO2S; 07-05-2013 at 10:18 AM.

My Ride
    Hatred

And if you need to get rid of the car on the cheap pm me! Then I spend the next few years rebuilding it..
    -U

Originally posted by HO2S
    I would get your coils scoped. By scoping and graphing the coil primary and secondary circuits. You will hit three birds with one stone. Poor current ramping on the primary side will tell you the coils are worn. A short firing line on the secondary side will tell you the plugs are worn. And low kv volts on the secondary side will tell you compression is low. Takes about a half hour in total and you have a good picture of how the engine is running and you havent even taken out a spark plug. And yes this will work on piston and rotary engines.
    I think its quite obvious I am not mechanically inclined.

However I dont like the dealership very much so I am going to do the full tune up myself. Youtube ftw.
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary

I think its quite obvious I am not mechanically inclined.

However I dont like the dealership very much so I am going to do the full tune up myself. Youtube ftw.
    I'm not saying to go to the dealer. All you have to do is find a shop with a tech that has the correct tooling and know how. Call around to a few places and I'm sure you will find someone.

***UPDATE***

Changed all spark plugs and coils (used coils that are in good condition from 5g_celica, thanks again).

unfortunately the car had zero changes or affects. the engine is toast or virtually dead. I will have to figure a way to get warranty since I am technically still covered by warranty however the dealership I am at right now is saying I dont have a solid oil change record and is voiding my warranty (receipts to prove I have maintained the car).

I will be trying a different dealership tomorrow.

That sort of thing isn't up to the dealership, it's up to Mazda. Give it a try with another dealer if you like, but don't hold your breath.

Also, I do believe they need to do a compression test before replacing the engine. Did you ever manage to pony up for that?
    dv/dt

Originally posted by ZiG-87
    That sort of thing isn't up to the dealership, it's up to Mazda. Give it a try with another dealer if you like, but don't hold your breath.

Also, I do believe they need to do a compression test before replacing the engine. Did you ever manage to pony up for that?
    Will pony that up eventually, but not at the dealership that tried to rip me off. They lied to me about checking my plugs and coils, when I took the coils out myself the layer of dust was still on it until I touched it, no signs of it being taken out or even touched. The advisor told me he took a look at the coils and sparks. Total BS

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Will pony that up eventually, but not at the dealership that tried to rip me off. They lied to me about checking my plugs and coils, when I took the coils out myself the layer of dust was still on it until I touched it, no signs of it being taken out or even touched. The advisor told me he took a look at the coils and sparks. Total BS
    Well, now that you have the car. It should be simple. Dont bother paying for a compression test yet. Do it the poor mans way. Take the leading plugs out of both chambers, and turn it over. make sure you disconnect the trailing plugs so you dont get a big fireball. You should hear a constant puffing like in the videos i posted. By the sounds of it, you wont, but its worth a shot. There are still things that can be toast besides the engine...

Sorry to hear the plugs and coils didn't work.

You can try doing a comp test at home, but it's not the best route. I would say it's kind of a preliminary step, and that you're past that now. Ultimately you're going to need a comp test from Mazda. The situation you find yourself in is why those of us who know rotaries and have extensive first hand knowledge of them over the years recommended a Mazda compression test from the beginning.

If you don't trust the dealer you're at you need to find one you do trust.
    Toma the homophobe?

Yeah what dealer is that? That kind of sucks.. for what it's worth, sunridge mazda has always been great for me..

I just thought of something else... there's a procedure from Mazda for de-carboning the engine. I believe it's a fancy version of a seafoam treatment. If you have enough carbon built up it can make the apex seals stick in the grooves and goodbye compression.

How did you usually drive it? Granny it everywhere or did you wind it out frequently?
    dv/dt

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

***UPDATE***

Changed all spark plugs and coils (used coils that are in good condition from 5g_celica, thanks again).

unfortunately the car had zero changes or affects. the engine is toast or virtually dead. I will have to figure a way to get warranty since I am technically still covered by warranty however the dealership I am at right now is saying I dont have a solid oil change record and is voiding my warranty (receipts to prove I have maintained the car).

I will be trying a different dealership tomorrow.
    Welcome to dealing with a Mazda dealership. Fucking crooks!
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Haha i like the old trick, take off a vacuum line while its running, stick it in a bottle of atf. Had a friend's swap engine arrive from japan with a stuck apex seal. Ran like ass, did that, after about 10 minutes of smoking out the neighbors, it ran like a champ, and continued to for years. Ahh, mazda just doesnt make them like they used to =(

Unfortunately for me I do not have any receipts to prove my maintenance history. The advisor told me that Rx8's with extended warranty usually are asked for receipts in order to get warranty coverage.

I have done oil changes at one dealer a few times, at my buddies place, and at small oil and lube shops. Is there any suggestions on what I can do to? Find whatever receipts I got related to oil/maintenance and say those were it? File lawsuit?

The way the dealer is doing business is a joke, I forgot to mention that the sparkplugs and coils were not ever taken out by the dealer to be inspected, however the advisor clearly claimed they looked at it

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Unfortunately for me I do not have any receipts to prove my maintenance history. The advisor told me that Rx8's with extended warranty usually are asked for receipts in order to get warranty coverage.

I have done oil changes at one dealer a few times, at my buddies place, and at small oil and lube shops. Is there any suggestions on what I can do to? Find whatever receipts I got related to oil/maintenance and say those were it? File lawsuit?

The way the dealer is doing business is a joke, I forgot to mention that the sparkplugs and coils were not ever taken out by the dealer to be inspected, however the advisor clearly claimed they looked at it
    To be fair to the dealer, how do they know if you are being honest about the repair history? Any dealership will require proof in order to honor the warranty. I think you are screwed on that part, and should keep better records if you expect them to be responsible.

As for the other part, if it says on your inspection receipt that they pulled the plugs and coils then you might have a case to get a partial refund on that. If the guy just said it, and it isnt in writing, well....you did it now, dont worry about it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast