Quantcast
Webber exit riles Horner as Aussie delivers two-fingered parting shot at Red Bull Re - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Webber exit riles Horner as Aussie delivers two-fingered parting shot at Red Bull Re

Default Webber exit riles Horner as Aussie delivers two-fingered parting shot at Red Bull Re

Red Bull have been left stunned by Mark Webber's decision to announce on the eve of the British Grand Prix he is quitting Formula One.
    Webber is understood to have snubbed the chance of another year's contract with Formula One's top team in favour of a return to sports car racing with Porsche - a move which will see him compete in the historic Le Mans 24-hour race.
    But it is the timing and manner of the 36-year-old's announcement, one which will bring to an end a 12-year career in Formula One, which has staggered Red Bull's hierarchy ahead of their home race.

Moving on: Mark Webber has announced that he will leave Formula One at the end of the season

Aussie rules: The veteran only informed Christian Horner of his decision just before the official announcement
    Team principal, Christian Horner, was only informed by Webber of his decision moments before a press release was issued by Porsche to announce he would be joining them.
    Assessing Webber's exit strategy, Horner said: 'He has taken things into his own hands. I think the guys in the factory will have been disappointed to learn about it on the internet.'
    Horner had expected to hold talks with Webber regarding his future in Formula One's August break. But it seems the Australian was determined to manage his departure on his own terms, even announcing in yesterday's official pre-race press conference that: 'It was about Porsche and Mark Webber today.'

Frustration: Webber's sudden announcement has riled Red Bull team principal Christian Horner
    That message was interpreted by many in the Silverstone paddock as a two-fingered parting shot to the Milton Keynes-based team with which Webber has won all of his nine grands prix and earned all bar one of his 36 podium finishes.
    Despite such successes, Webber has endured an often fractious relationship with his team-mate, triple world champion Sebastian Vettel.
    Indeed, after winning the British Grand Prix three years ago Webber sarcastically radioed his team to say 'Not bad for a No 2 driver' after being enraged by the decision to give Vettel a newly developed nose cone for qualifying.

Up for the cup: The Australian driver has won nine grands prix with Red Bull
    Most recently, matters spilled over in Malaysia this year when Vettel ignored a team order not to pass Webber in favour of nipping by his team-mate to pinch the win.
    Webber made little secret of his disappointment at Horner's decision not to come down hard on Vettel, claiming his team-mate enjoyed the 'protection' of Red Bull.
    After using his website to claim Formula One was 'not on his radar for 2014', Webber defended the timing of his decision and said: 'It was a Porsche announcement. I informed Christian before the announcement which contractually I should do. I think I helped the team today; they have to make some decisions for the future.

Strained relationship: Webber and Sebastian Vettel have endured a number of run-ins over the years
    'We went through all the right channels and avenues to get the message across and it was done in the right way.'
    Revealing the aspects of Formula one he would miss, Webber said: 'I realise F1 is seen as the absolute pinnacle of motorsport and I've worked with some incredible people, in particular (Red Bull chief technical officer) Adrian Newey.
    'I've driven in some of the toughest and most challenging conditions and circuits, and against some incredible drivers which I'll continue to do until the end of the year. Will I miss some of this? Yes, of course, but time doesn't stand still for anyone and it's time to move on to my next challenge.'

Centre of attention: Kimi Raikkonen has emerged as the favourite to replace Webber at Red Bull
    Kimi Raikkonen of Lotus is the early favourite to take Webber's seat with Horner admitting this week the 2007 world champion 'would have to be an option'. Discussing his next move, Raikkonen said: 'Whatever the decision, it will not be easy, but it is never easy. It is not the first time that there are different options on the table.'
    The likes of Jean Eric-Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo, both of whom drive for Red Bull's sister team Toro Rosso, are also in the frame while the news is sure to have been greeted with interest by Scot Paul Di Resta who has been in impressive form for Force India this season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...#ixzz2XeBoVipv
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

My Ride
    Horse

Kimi is my favourite driver. Red Bull is my least favourite team. I don't know how I'd feel if he joined them but it would be interesting to see how Red Bull would handle a freewheeling personality like Kimi in contrast to their PR boy.