Quantcast
Clicking in left shoulder - injured rotator cuff or scar tissue? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clicking in left shoulder - injured rotator cuff or scar tissue?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Default Clicking in left shoulder - injured rotator cuff or scar tissue?

Sup fellas,

Looking for some similar experiences when it comes to messed up rotator cuffs.

My left one is pretty busted up. While I know it's common/normal to have a little bit of cartilage rubbing in the shoulder joint, my symptoms prevent me from getting a full workout. It clicks and feels like something is inside.

I also injured my left hand (glass shard) and now my pinky grip sucks so it compounds the problem as well.

I've gone to my physician who can't help, I've gone to the U of C science medicine center and also did a bone scan and found nothing. X-rays show nothing. All they can suggest are rotator cuff exercises which I already do.

I've heard that there are some massage places which take a ball and press it DEEP into your shoulder muscle/joint in order to break up any scar tissue built up in the joint. Has anyone done this?

August 2014

Bump.

So, I thought I'd give you guys an update. I've been going to the chiropractor since December 2013. After doing some tests and finally getting a specialized ultrasound, we found that there's a complete blood flow blockage with my hands and neck in certain positions. We've narrowed down the cause to this:

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

It's characterized by the impingement or compression of the neurovascular bundle which includes the subclavian artery and brachial plexus.

It is pretty consistent with my symptoms: numbness, weakness, coldness in 4th/5th digit, etc., and it seems to have been exacerbated by forward rolling shoulders as a result of posture and overactivity in the chest.

The massage therapist says the clicking in my shoulder is because of a shift where my clavicle hits a bone in the shoulder (couldn't quite remember everything she said).

From here on, it's a long process because the myelin sheath in my nerves have been worn down over the years, so it will take a long time of not aggravating them and allowing them to heal. At this point in time, I've been recommended to refrain from any upper body exercises, so it's pretty much leg day every other day.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 08-11-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Have you tried a chiropractor who specializes in ART?

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

I've somewhat had a similar issue due to dislocating my shoulder in the past. For the longest time, I felt like I had a clicking/grinding feeling. Ever since I incorporated 5-15 min of mobility work in my routine, my shoulders(or my whole body actually) have never felt better. I do a crap load of different mobility exercises - deep ball work as you mentioned, A LOT of band work - this was effective as f*ck, wall slides, barbell mobility work(kind of similar to the ball), voodoo bands, foam rolling, etc. I recommend going to mobilitywod.com. Just use the search bar for your needs or alternatively just buy the guy's book - Becoming a supple leopard. Oh yeah, daily doses of glucosamine + fish oil worked wonders after 2-3 weeks too

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have you tried a physiotherapist? The clicking and clunking might be something that can be solved with needling too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Originally posted by Tej.S
    I've somewhat had a similar issue due to dislocating my shoulder in the past. For the longest time, I felt like I had a clicking/grinding feeling. Ever since I incorporated 5-15 min of mobility work in my routine, my shoulders(or my whole body actually) have never felt better. I do a crap load of different mobility exercises - deep ball work as you mentioned, A LOT of band work - this was effective as f*ck, wall slides, barbell mobility work(kind of similar to the ball), voodoo bands, foam rolling, etc. I recommend going to mobilitywod.com. Just use the search bar for your needs or alternatively just buy the guy's book - Becoming a supple leopard. Oh yeah, daily doses of glucosamine + fish oil worked wonders after 2-3 weeks too
    This i also had a rotator cuff problem that would flare up during chest workouts. After stretching and warming up before hand i haven't noticed it at all. Hope that helps.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Tej.S
    Same here. I discolated my right shoulder from hockey and it grinds/clicks whenever I rotate my shoulders.

I do stretches to alleviate it like this one:

And do arm rotations but it'll pop out during a game once in a while. Hurts like hell and gets weaker once it pops back in. Sucks.

I think I might try that ball method through a physiotherapist.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

How many days a week do you bench and be honest?

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Originally posted by flipstah

Same here. I discolated my right shoulder from hockey and it grinds/clicks whenever I rotate my shoulders.

I do stretches to alleviate it like this one:

And do arm rotations but it'll pop out during a game once in a while. Hurts like hell and gets weaker once it pops back in. Sucks.

I think I might try that ball method through a physiotherapist.
    I did unnecessary stretches and rotator cuff exercises for far too long. I felt as though I only got temporary relief from those. I'm not knocking stretches and RC exercises, but working on mobility daily has yielded far better results(at least for me).

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by KRyn
    How many days a week do you bench and be honest?
    I don't bench alot brother. Maybe 1-2 a week, 3 at most and it's never heavy either.

The web is so inundated with info that it's hard to even read about what the issue could be but I've heard that shoulders can end up shitty if ALL you do is bench and cause uneven muscle growth (which is all I did when I was like 17 years old hahaha). I'm 26 now.

I will definitely go to a physiotherapist and see if I can get this shit sorted out. If there is some build up in the joint, maybe they can knead it out. The UofC doctor wanted to do a cortisone injection but I wasn't convinced that would help.

This is something I've been battling with for over 5 years. Was too stupid back then to get it checked right away.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by rx7boi

I don't bench alot brother. Maybe 1-2 a week, 3 at most and it's never heavy either.

The web is so inundated with info that it's hard to even read about what the issue could be but I've heard that shoulders can end up shitty if ALL you do is bench and cause uneven muscle growth (which is all I did when I was like 17 years old hahaha).
    Next questions!

How much back work do you do on average (rowing type back work, please list usual reps and sets per week)?

Lastly how is your posture? Do your shoulders round / pull forward?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by KRyn

Next questions!

How much back work do you do on average (rowing type back work, please list usual reps and sets per week)?

Lastly how is your posture? Do your shoulders round / pull forward?
    Back work is usually 2-3 times a week as well.

3 x Max pull ups
    4 x 10-14 sitting machine row
    4 x 10-14 lat pulldowns
    3 x 8-10 deadlifts

Switched up every 2 weeks for variation.

I do not roll my shoulders. I maintain a straight back and do not throw my body weight into the repetition. But, sometimes, during the last several weaker repetitions I find my shoulders rolling forward as I lose strength to maintain proper form.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by rx7boi

Back work is usually 2-3 times a week as well.

3 x Max pull ups
    4 x 10-14 sitting machine row
    4 x 10-14 lat pulldowns
    3 x 8-10 deadlifts

Switched up every 2 weeks for variation.

I do not roll my shoulders. I maintain a straight back and do not throw my body weight into the repetition. But, sometimes, during the last several weaker repetitions I find my shoulders rolling forward as I lose strength to maintain proper form.
    Sorry I should have been more clear. When you are standing up straight (relaxed), do your shoulders roll forward?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

No, they do not roll forward.

You have a weak back. I was having tons of shoulder issues, started working my back, (bent over barbell row, seated row, cable standing rear delt row, etc.) and now I never feel my shoulders anymore.

Most people go to the gym and work legs, chest, arms, shoulders, but completely ignore their back. Once you start working your back, you will be able to lift way heavier shit and your existing pain/new injuries will go down dramatically.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

so yesterday, walking through the BMO centre we ran into some people we knew. they were sitting on some chairs with these massage pads on them. since the woman wanted to stop and chat i sat down...

holy hell. it was orgasmic after walking around the grounds all day.

sat there for a solid 15min and in that time i remembered we have a health spending account we have never touched

so yeah i bought one.

basically there are two heated jade rollers that spin around. pretty sure i over did it yesterday in between my shoulder blades but today is the first day in a looooong time that my ears are clear and it doesnt feel like i need to pop them.

checked out that site Tej.S posted. im going to have to try some of that stuff out

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by ercchry

checked out that site Tej.S posted. im going to have to try some of that stuff out
    saw a video on that site that looked interesting, but im not subscribing to watch it... off to youtube i went

fucking awesome! i feel great right now

My Ride
    Exploded.

Looks like I got stuff to try tomorrow!

Will research stretches for tense shoulders.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Originally posted by ercchry

saw a video on that site that looked interesting, but im not subscribing to watch it... off to youtube i went

fucking awesome! i feel great right now
    If you want to up it another level, get lacrosse balls instead. It'll put you in a world of pain, but I guarantee it will help. Oh and an easier way to make the peanut like he did in the video is to just put the two balls in to a sock and tie off the top lol. Use a thin sock if you're hardcore or a thick one if you can't handle the pain haha.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Oh and btw, when you guys go to the site, don't click "episodes". Use the search bar instead. It will give you videos from youtube so you don't have to subsrcibe to watch them lol. For example, I typed in "shoulder mobility" and I got three pages of results

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

im cool with the tennis balls right now

the massage pad already made me pretty tender

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast