Quantcast
New Bike Advice Needed.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New Bike Advice Needed..

Default New Bike Advice Needed..

Hi guy's

Buying my first bike in years and years. Planning on shopping at the local bike stores. What should i be looking for? Mountain or Road bike? My wife has a Cannondale she really loves, my daughter and my son ride Trek.

I'll be doing most of the riding on the City paths and around the neighborhood and maybe some longer rides with the kids and my wife. Just looking into getting a beginner bike. Budget around $700 - $1000.

Any info would be great from the guys who ride the paths here. What do you guys prefer?

cheers,

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I like to shop at Bowcycle, peeps there are always friendly and helpful, the only bad thing is that the shop gets busy all the time for a reason I guess. The service at the Bike Shop is kinda mediocre with attitude. Your budget should get you a decent hardtail.

I have been riding the pathways along the river before the flood. I'm surprised by how far you can go. It's quite a bit affected now. Assuming that you are not looking for long distance with the family, there should still be enough pathways to roam around.

This might be a bit out of your price range but i've always liked this for urban riding...

http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes.../urban/bad-boy

it sounds like you're just looking for casual cruising on streets and paths. i would not recommend a mountain bike. i recommend you look at a comfort bikes/cruisers. I wouldn't recommend a mountain bike or road warrior hybird or anyhting with front suspension.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Nothing wrong with front suspension in case he wants to ride some light trails later on. Just lock that shit out!

It's like using a 4x4 to drive to church, but I digress...

Thanks guys..

Would this be a good first bike? It's a cannondale trail 29'er 5. Saw it at bow cycle for like around $700, what do you guys think?

[IMG]http://kootation.com/uploads/wheelies.co.uk*Images*Products*full56481.jpg[/IMG]

Take it for a test ride and see what YOU think about it. You're the one who has to ride it. If you find it comfortable you are more likely to ride it. Don't buy a bike based on looks . Buy it based on how it fits you.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

Do you need a mountain bike though? Unless you are going off road they are heavy and slow. A hybrid type bike is a much, much better choice for paved, gravel trails. If you're looking at Cannondales something in the "Quick" line would be a good choice. http://www.cannondale.com/can/2013/b...ation/quick-sl

To be honest, looks have little to do with what i need. I have not had a bike in 30 years, so i have no clue where to start, thats why i just wanted to get some idea what to look for?

Some of you guy's know your stuff, so i rather get some info here then go into a bike shop totally blind and maybe get up-selled something i don't need.

I am a pretty big guy, 6' tall and weigh 220lbs. I need components that will not brake down couple months down the road. When i look online and find words like Shimano, Ultegra or Tiegra i have NO idea what they are and what is good component to start off with that will last me a while?

I might like riding again and might do other things, so will never know. If i have to stretch the budget a little, then i could do that long as the bike will last me till i might want to upgrade..

i hope i made sense guy's

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Build it!

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/

There are also a lot of great shops that sells second hand parts.

My cuz was able to build his own for under $500 but retail worth is about $1500 to $2000

you should buy a bike made for the riding you intend to do. It sounds like you're looking for casual rides with the family on paved surfaces, which is why i recommended a comfort or cruiser bike. It simply doesn't make sense to recommend a mountain bike for this type of riding. Continual sitting in an aggressive stance gets tiring after even like 10 minutes, which is going to make your casual family rides really suck. I commuted on a mountain bike for about a year once and it sucked. There are different bikes for different things, which is why serious riders have several bikes.

go to Bow Cycle, tell them what kind of riding you plan to do, and then let them show you the bikes they have foir that.

Originally posted by FixedGear
    you should buy a bike made for the riding you intend to do. It sounds like you're looking for casual rides with the family on paved surfaces, which is why i recommended a comfort or cruiser bike. It simply doesn't make sense to recommend a mountain bike for this type of riding. Continual sitting in an aggressive stance gets tiring after even like 10 minutes, which is going to make your casual family rides really suck. I commuted on a mountain bike for about a year once and it sucked. There are different bikes for different things, which is why serious riders have several bikes.

go to Bow Cycle, tell them what kind of riding you plan to do, and then let them show you the bikes they have foir that.
    Thanks Fixed,

Sorry for my ignorance but when you say a cruiser this pops in my mind.

I guess cruisers are something like Cannondale quick series? i am right?

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

^^^ +1
    If your riding in pavement then you don't need the aggressive mountain bike tires. It's actually harder to bike with those mountain bike tires than road/pavement tires if you are riding on bike paths

Thanks guy's... Very good info..

Can you guys recommend a good sales guy you know at bow cycle you recommend? I might head down there this afternoon.

cheers,

my wife and I both picked up Electra Townies for riding around with the kids. Love them. Sitting up is so much more comfortable than riding my old mtn bike.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I think swak works there, give him a pm.

Originally posted by ICEBERG

Thanks Fixed,

Sorry for my ignorance but when you say a cruiser this pops in my mind.

I guess cruisers are something like Cannondale quick series? i am right?
    That is a cruiser, although its a female frame which always look dumb IMO. Compare the relative positions of the seat and handlebars to the mountain and hybrid photos above. Also the size of the saddle to the narrow small seats. Mountain bikes and cruisers are designed for different types of riding, and based on your statements, I would suggest a cruiser or comfort bike. You can find frames that don't look like 1958 Schwinn if you're not into that (but a lot of people are)
    Last edited by FixedGear; 07-05-2013 at 05:12 PM.

I would recommend Bikebike. They have different types of bikes including more casual style bikes that can do pavement and light trails and they would be able to provide some really good opinions on a bike for your style.

You won't get the cheaply made stuff like at Walmart or Can Tire and I think they're having a sale on right now as well