Quantcast
JDM Mk4 supra Targa&MT rarity? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: JDM Mk4 supra Targa&MT rarity?

Default JDM Mk4 supra Targa&MT rarity?

Hi guys who do I talk to in town about buying or importing a JDM targa&MT supra? I know it will have to be NA.

I would rather buy a landed car than import one even if it is through a reputable business.

How rare are the manual targa JDMs, i asked on the supra forum and one guy said they are really rare.

I tried phoning "zen auto works" but it just went to some guy's voice mail.

My Ride
    NSX, 4Runner

Jdmsource

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I was always under the impression hardtops were rarer than targas?

Originally posted by Sentry
    I was always under the impression hardtops were rarer than targas?
    Yeah for LHD that's the case, but for JDM it's the opposite, I think they look down on the targa because the chassis flexes more. I don't think any MT turbo targa were available in the JDM, they were all sent to the UK and AUS markets

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

last TT manual Targa i saw for sale in the UK was a pretty rough example and the guy was asking £30,000 of her majesties finest pounds for it

that's like Canadian pricing! haha

Originally posted by haggis88
    last TT manual Targa i saw for sale in the UK was a pretty rough example and the guy was asking £30,000 of her majesties finest pounds for it

that's like Canadian pricing! haha
    Ow..the idea was to GTE swap a manual car and save some money..I will call jdmsource tomorrow

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

this is probably a better bet

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...nual-gz/674729

a lot of the UK spec extras were better than what the JDM market got

My Ride
    W204

I absolutely adored the MKIV Supra, right up until everyone and their dog started importing these crappy ass'ed JDMs. Now they are EVERYWHERE, and most are completely beat to shit/looks like shit.

Besides, if you're buying NA, there are way better/faster cars out there for less $$$.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by clem24
    I absolutely adored the MKIV Supra, right up until everyone and their dog started importing these crappy ass'ed JDMs. Now they are EVERYWHERE, and most are completely beat to shit/looks like shit.
    Same thing is gonna happen to S15s and R34s. Sad times.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Besides, if you're buying NA, there are way better/faster cars out there for less $$$.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Same thing is gonna happen to S15s and R34s. Sad times.
    If what I have heard about the import price of the r34s I doubt that will end up being the same.
    1995 Talon Esi - 1989 Lebarron - 1991 Mr2 Turbo - 1991 Accord - 2005 Corolla - 2005 R6 - 1993 Talon Tsi - 2013 Mustang Coupe - 1997 Grand Prix GTP

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

You're thinking GTRs though, there will be lots of broke ass GT-Ts running around.

My Ride
    '86 AE86, '11 GSE20 6MT

This is an older thread, but I stumbled across it and wanted to confirm, all JZA80 MT's in Japan are hardtop, they never sold them with targas in Japan. Only AT's came targa in Japan.

In Canada? All of our cars were TT targas.
    In USA? Most TT's are targa, hardtops are rare.

So what you get will depend on where the Supra was destined for, for sure.

There are some nice RHD Supras out there, but there are a lot of beat-on N/A's as well.

To me a nice car is a nice car, doesn't matter where it came from, but it is a bit sad to see cars that are generally considered nice brought down a few levels by a lot of bad examples.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD Stuff
    1993 Toyota Previa 5MT Studded Ice Race Van

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I adored the MKIV's too, until I made the mistake of joining this supra forum, called Supratalk.com.

I've never seen such a gathering of inflated ego's, and douchebag's in my life. Ferrari? no thanks, my supra puts out more HP, Pagani? no thanks, my Super-Supra is easier to find parts for... apparently to that crew, the Supra was the be-all and end-all super car amongst those idiots... wow I was turned off by that.

That was a few years before you could import the MKIV's, now? Im still on the fence with it... that forum left a very lasting impression in my mind about the kind of people that own those cars.

I'd still love to own one, a Targa, TT manual would make my day, but wow... I just refuse to be associated with a single person from that forum, or anybody even remotely like that.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

The 90's were a long time ago. There were some really great cars in that time but they are so outdated now they have lost a lot of appeal. The only timeless cars from that era IMO are the FD RX7 and NSX. The rest all look pretty dated.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'd agree for sure. But i do get to see a mkiv supra a couple times a week and it makes my heart pick up the pace for sure. It makes me think of how the japanese made a muscle car. probably not accurate but that's how I feel. I'm looking forward to owning one in a decade.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ I dont know, the MKIV Supra to me will always be a gorgeous car.

A long time ago, they had that AB Flug S900 and S9500 packages... to me that was my dream car for many years.

If anybody doesn't know what those are, google them. Their pretty damn amazing.

The S900 had these rims called the "Grand Revolve Prism". Those still look good on whatever they'd be placed on, problem is, getting a set is damn near impossible.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"