Quantcast
George Zimmerman found not guilty - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: George Zimmerman found not guilty

Originally posted by sexualbanana

I'll chime in real quick about this. Just because Zimmerman is hispanic, doesn't mean that there was no racial profiling involved. After all, he even said in his 911 call:

Who are "These assholes"? Teenagers? Black people? Black teenagers?

In any case, I think Zimmerman has to be held responsible, in some degree, for his role in the altercation. He is a neighbourhood watch participant (not really sure what to call him). Watch. He patrols the the neighbourhood and he reports (REPORTS) any suspicious behaviour to the police. It is not to confront. So although, technically, nothing he did was wrong by itself, his actions, in the context of what the evidence portrayed, led to a physical altercation that resulted in the death of a person.

The race-baiting and representation of race in this case has been vomit-inducing. I watched the 20/20 special about this trial, and it was just disgusting the way they portrayed both sides. On the Zimmerman side are this neighbours who knew Zimmerman as a good guy, and on the other side are the uneducated black people who are screaming bloody murder.
    Oh there is no doubt Zimmerman profiled Trayvon Martin.

However even when you put all his actions together. Profiling, following, continuing to follow after instructed not to, non physically confrontation, the sum of those legal acts is not illegal. When the physical altercation occurs we will never know who started it. Without knowing who started it, non of the prior actions being illegal, and the burden of proof being with The State, there was just no case there.

From a moral standpoint as human being, it's sad that a young man lost his life, both men made bad decisions that led to that but it's no less sad.

From a legal standpoint The State must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was not self defense in a State that allows citizens to carry and use firearms, and there was just nowhere near enough evidence to do it. Never was, never will be. This thing should never have made it to trial.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Oh there is no doubt Zimmerman profiled Trayvon Martin.

However even when you put all his actions together. Profiling, following, continuing to follow after instructed not to, non physically confrontation, the sum of those legal acts is not illegal. When the physical altercation occurs we will never know who started it. Without knowing who started it, non of the prior actions being illegal, and the burden of proof being with The State, there was just no case there.

From a moral standpoint as human being, it's sad that a young man lost his life, both men made bad decisions that led to that but it's no less sad.

From a legal standpoint The State must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was not self defense in a State that allows citizens to carry and use firearms, and there was just nowhere near enough evidence to do it. Never was, never will be. This thing should never have made it to trial.
    Well, it comes down to whether someone thinks that being raked over the coals as he has been is enough of a punishment for his role. Again, as you said (and I agree) that nothing he did was technically illegal. But Zimmerman's negligent (and as some have called it 'overly ambitious') pursuit of Martin led to this stupid situation.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Well, it comes down to whether someone thinks that being raked over the coals as he has been is enough of a punishment for his role. Again, as you said (and I agree) that nothing he did was technically illegal. But Zimmerman's negligent (and as some have called it 'overly ambitious') pursuit of Martin led to this stupid situation.
    Zimmerman profiled, followed, and continued to follow. Those actions did not make him legally responsible for his death, but he holds some moral responsibility.

Trayvon Martin had lost Zimmerman for the better part of 4 minutes, he could have continued home. He did not, he doubled back to Zimmermans last known location instead of just going home. Why? That action places some of the responsibility on him.

Perhaps that's why people are struggling so hard with the outcome? Morally Zimmerman holds some responsibility, legally he does not, and Trayvon paid the ultimate price.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 07-14-2013 at 06:26 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Zimmerman profiled, followed, and continued to follow. Those actions did not make him legally responsible for his death, but he holds some moral responsibility.

Trayvon Martin had lost Zimmerman for the better part of 4 minutes, he could have continued home. He did not, he doubled back to Zimmermans last known location instead of just going home. Why? That action places some of the responsibility on him.

Perhaps that's why people are struggling so hard with the outcome? Morally Zimmerman holds some responsibility, legally he does not, and Trayvon paid the ultimate price.
    Now here comes the part where we both argue the same point until we start calling each other idiots.

Now here comes the part where we both argue the same point until we start calling each other idiots.
    Hahaha yup that sounds about right.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by frizzlefry

BUT if us Canadians were allowed to carry guns there would be less assault cases and more dead drunk assholes downtown. That's why my only reservation about this whole thing is that people are allowed to carry in the US. Assaults turn into someone getting shot.
    Maybe instead of getting shot people would learn how to behave. I don't think it's that hard to not put yourself in a position where someone will kill you.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Zimmerman profiled, followed, and continued to follow.
    He correctly profiled him btw, he profiled him as a thug criminal and he was right. The kid was a drug addict fighter that goes around looking to start shit.

Zim was doing his job, he followed him and called police, that's his job.
    It is not illegal to follow someone in public especially if your job is night watch and are in charge of keeping the area free from possible crimes.

The point that this became a crime was when martin punched zim - and continued to punch him. He didn't just sucker punch him and take off he stayed because he wanted to kill Zim.

Little did he know he never life to carryon his gangster wannabe lifestyle any longer.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1khJlTiBwn5
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Originally posted by Modelexis

He correctly profiled him btw, he profiled him as a thug criminal and he was right. The kid was a drug addict fighter that goes around looking to start shit.

It is not illegal to follow someone in public especially if your job is night watch and are in charge of keeping the area free from possible crimes.

The point that this became a crime was when martin punched zim - and continued to punch him. He didn't just sucker punch him and take off he stayed because he wanted to kill Zim.

Little did he know he never life to carryon his gangster wannabe lifestyle any longer.

Easy killer!!!

You need to back track a bit, first the video you posted has already been posted, second we agree.

Zimmerman did nothing illegal. He was well within his right to profile, follow, continue to follow, and when attacked respond with deadly force.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Modelexis

I disagree. What is your evidence for concluding that he's a "drug addict fighter"? Tattoos? The marijuana residue that was the reason his dad brought him to Sanford in the first place?

But you're right; Zimmerman did do his job. Until he disobeyed the 911 dispatcher when he told him he no longer needed to follow him. In which case he then broke protocol which states that he is "to assist the police until he is no longer needed."

But you're right; Zimmerman did do his job. Until he disobeyed the 911 dispatcher when he told him he no longer needed to follow him. In which case he then broke protocol which states that he is "to assist the police until he is no longer needed."
    We'll the instructions from the dispatcher where two sided. He first said "we don't need you to do that" implying stop following. He then said "where is he now?" Which could reasonably be understood as go find him.

I see nothing to be gained by attacking the character of Trayvon though. At the end of day him being a pot smoking thug wannabe is as irrelevant as Zimmerman being a cop wannabe.

It does reek of selective profiling however.

Why did he stalk a younger kid who might have been dealing in petty drug crimes? Why didn't he stalk a banker who was defrauding the neighborhood through bad mortgages. Why didn't he stalk a white prostitute, why not a politician that was taking money on the side, why not a pet killer?

People do tend to target what they personally hate most, not necessarily what is the most detrimental or even a priority or even on the radar for a local police department.

Why did the US go after Saddam but not Kim Jong Il?

Is it up to the individual to decide what is the greater evil? In that case, I'd personally try to jail Rob Anders before Khadafi.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by SKR

Maybe instead of getting shot people would learn how to behave. I don't think it's that hard to not put yourself in a position where someone will kill you.
    But there is a reason most countries don't allow people to carry guns. They are stupid and don't learn.

The average person is not trained to know when to use a firearm. He was afraid for his safety/life? I would say completely incompetent, unprepared and unprofessional (if he was a real cop) and subject to firing especially since he entered the situation of his free will.

Do you pull out an RPG when the neighborhood girls setup an illegal lemonade stand?

I would no more trust a local vigilante to arrest someone than I would him fixing my car or fixing a cavity in my teeth. If he was that serious, he would be trained, accredited and be paid a ridiculous amount each year.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 07-14-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I disagree. What is your evidence for concluding that he's a "drug addict fighter"? Tattoos? The marijuana residue that was the reason his dad brought him to Sanford in the first place?
    He had ingredients commonly used in 'purple drank'

which is soda and skittles mixed with codine if I understand it correct.

What is Purple Drank?
    Purple drank is a mixture of a few ounces of promethazine/codeine prescription cough syrup and 8 ounces or more of a lemon-lime soda like Sprite, Sierra Mist or 7Up. The purple comes from the syrup dye. Often, Jolly Ranchers or Skittles are added for flavor.

http://www.recoverycorps.org/addicti.../purple-drank/
    It's somewhat speculation about whether that was the intended use of the ingredients but its very likely, the kid obviously likes to get high and thinks hes a gangster so it fits the 'profile'

Did you read the texts on his phone?
    He was involved in a 3 round street fight a few days earlier.

"Why you not in school?" a text he receives asks.

"Suspended."

"I thought you was going out with ur friend," the reply says.

"Naw my ol g say she dont want me home caus she think ima get in mo trouble," he texts back.

Martin's texts also indicate he may have been curious about guns.

"U gotta gun?" reads a text from Martin's phone, sent on Feb. 18, 2012, to a friend of his who was on the phone with him on the night of the shooting.

"You want a 22 revolver" asks someone in a text he receives that day.

Three days later, Martin mentioned a caliber of gun while asking a friend in another text, "U wanna share a .380 w.[redacted]?"

Other texts released allude to problems Martin was having at home and with authorities.

"My mom just told me i gotta mov wit my dad," says one from Nov. 22, 2011. "She just kickd me out."

"So you just turning into a lil hoodlum," the person with whom he is texting says.

"Naw, I'm a gangsta," the text message read.

In other messages, text message exchanges appear to be discussing guns.

"U wanna share a .380 w/ (blacked out)," one text message sent from Martin's phone reads.

"I got weed nd I get money Friday," a message sent from his phone reads.

"I hid m weed," another text sent from Martin's phone reads. "its wrapped."

Later in the month, on the 21st, he exchanged messages with at least one friend about an after-school fight.

One of Trayvon's cellphone pictures shows two teens about to square off against one another as a third stands in the middle like a referee. Trayvon said he fought a rival who "snitched on me."

Trayvon: "I lost da 1st round but won da 2nd nd 3rd."

Friend: "Ohhh So It Wass 3 Rounds? Damn well at least yu wonn lol but yuu needa stop fighting."

Trayvon: "Nay im not done with fool….. he gone hav 2 see me again."

Friend: "Nooo… Stop, yuu waint gonn bee satisified till yuh suspended again, huh?"

Trayvon told another friend at the time that his mother wanted him to move in with his dad after he was suspended.

"Da police caught me outta skool," Trayvon wrote.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-14-2013 at 09:22 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Holy fuck! A teenager who got into fights at school and talks about being gangster!?!

When i was in high school in the early 1990s, no one could get beer because the drinking age was 21. So, when kids couldn't get real drugs, they would drink a bottle of cough syrup. We called it Robotrippin' LOL. We just drank it straight thou - no mixing with sprite and skittles though, so I suppose we weren't drankin no authentic sizzurp.

LOL:

Last edited by FixedGear; 07-14-2013 at 09:36 PM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Holy fuck! A teenager who got into fights at school and talks about being gangster!?!
    You wanted evidence he was a fighter, i sited texts and you're not happy. I don't know about you but I didn't get into fights in highschool - I avoided fights because I don't enjoy getting punched in the face or punching other people in the face.

You can credit it to him being young and stupid but that doesn't discredit the fact that he was a fighter.

Some people like to fight and some don't you wanted proof he was a fighter and I gave you that.
    It doesn't mean that he deserved to die but I think it has relevance to the situation.

I have no problem with drug addicts even, if you enjoy drugs that's great for you and it's your life and your body. The problem is when an aggressive individual is involved with drugs.

Maybe if he smoked a joint before he went to the store he wouldn't have been looking for a fight.

I deal out intellectual uppercuts and you just caught my jab.

I gave frizzlefry a knockout 2minutes into the very first round, guy wasn't even an opponent. I feel bad for him.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-14-2013 at 09:48 PM.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

ITT:

This site has been reduced to the same 30 people arguing with each other it seems...

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by badatusrnames
    This site has been reduced to the same 30 people arguing with each other it seems...
    and the same people with no mind and nothing to say on the issue that post meme photos because they have no intellectual substance to add to the conversation.

A lot of us agree in this thread, even some people that allegedly have me on their ignore list still agree with some points that I've made (or the other way around depending on how you look at it).
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-14-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast